The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• tbmtbm Frets: 582
    Great analysis of the last few mins yesterday:
    https://the42.ie/6322776

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think Wales will win today. If they get early momentum to quiet the fans, they could get a win. I hope so... they've shown glimpses of promise.  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24529
    tbm said:
    Paywalled. Boo. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    IMO it’s a 50/50 call today. The drop in form of the French has to be one of the biggest and unexpected declines we have seen in recent times. Teams develop and improve over time- look at the Scots….. they have been building and building for what, 7-8 years now and are back up there as a genuine force in world rugby. Look at England. Been out of sorts until yesterday for several years.

so how the hell have the French fallen from grace so far so fast. Dismantled by Ireland, the Scottish video issue and a draw against Italy when they charged and arguably should have been retaken, they might be at the bottom of the table. 

With the Welsh playing for pride, it has the makings of a good contest
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    tbm said:
    Paywalled. Boo. 
    Ah shite, sorry. I think it’s free for the first few hours after publish. 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26710
    tbm said:
    tbm said:
    Paywalled. Boo. 
    You can still read it on a desktop, with the refresh-and-scroll approach. I did that, and...actually learned something. I'd completely missed Earl's tackle on his own man to defeat the choke tackle.

Yeah, he's a proper legend in the making.
    <space for hire>
  • ArfashandiArfashandi Frets: 45
    tbm said:
    tbm said:
    Paywalled. Boo. 
    You can still read it on a desktop, with the refresh-and-scroll approach. I did that, and...actually learned something. I'd completely missed Earl's tackle on his own man to defeat the choke tackle.

Yeah, he's a proper legend in the making.
    Absolutely he will be up there with McCaw Pineaar Smith
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14323
    tFB Trader
    So why can England play so well, with a game plan that worked and at times be exciting and beat one of the best 2/3 teams in the world - Yet by and large for the last few years, be largely boring to watch, be it they win or loose - Why can't we see more of such an English side, on a more regular basis - Less hit 'n' miss please

Crikey, France or Wales for the wooden spoon - Who would have thought that  
    Is France bovered?

I think not. 

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    That reverse pass on its own deserved a try/price of admission. Superb
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Look! It’s 2011 to 2019 France! 

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1956
    edited March 10
    Wales at the bottom of the table where they should be, gulpin' all dat azz gravy. Tee hee 3
    France deserved winners. Scrappy at times but they played much better than in previous matches. 
    They faded badly didn’t they? Italy will fancy picking Wales off. How much good will does Gatland have banked I wonder? I feel he should be left at it. There are some great players there but 10 seems to be an issue. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    tbm said:
    They faded badly didn’t they? Italy will fancy picking Wales off. How much good will does Gatland have banked I wonder? I feel he should be left at it. There are some great players there but 10 seems to be an issue. 
    Wales just don't have the players to cope with the huge gulf in forward power. Game really fell apart when subs came on - especially at outside half. Doesn't matter who coaches Wales right now, without the players to pick from / club sides that can compete, its a bit of a lost cause. Really can't see them beating Italy next week.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4164
    At start of season I was expecting Wooden spoon, looks like I’m not gonna be disappointed. Retirements, injuries, 25 cap rule, lack of money for regions to compete. 
    Perfect storm to kill the game in Wales. 
    Radical, but we need To go to two regions, pay for top players and coaches, import some power players from SA and Argentina and in 3-4 years we will start to be competitive again. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    At start of season I was expecting Wooden spoon, looks like I’m not gonna be disappointed. Retirements, injuries, 25 cap rule, lack of money for regions to compete. 
    Radical, but we need To go to two regions, pay for top players and coaches, import some power players from SA and Argentina and in 3-4 years we will start to be competitive again. 
    Difficult to argue with the logic but I think Welsh Rugby will die off completely before there's an acceptance that there's only enough cash to support 2 regions. A few of my English mates (old like me) have had a downer on the impact of money in Rugby. After this weekends England result, all is well again.
    Yep, Italy will be confident next week. 

Eng v France could be interesting too. Both teams have clicked this weekend (Eng moreso than Fra, probably) and a final match in Paris could be a cracker. 

I think Ireland will be very determined and precise after being shocked this weekend. I reckon that even if Scotland play well, Ireland will be considerably better. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    edited March 11
    exocet said:
    Difficult to argue with the logic but I think Welsh Rugby will die off completely before there's an acceptance that there's only enough cash to support 2 regions. 
    For most of us it has already. Hardly anyone goes to matches and it's not really on TV any more. 

Sadly, unless we import some absolute monster sized overseas players like France have then I fear we're just settling into our natural place in the pecking order instead of punching well above our player base weight like we have for the last century or so. 

Gatland has enough goodwill to be allowed to keep trying for at least another season, but I think we're pretty much over as a world force. 
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4164
    Gatland is probably the best coach in NH, working with hands tied behind his back and numpties like Humphries supposedly coaching the forwards. 
    We have a very limited stock of quality players at the best of times, a few injuries and we are down to bare bones. When was the last time wales had a bench that added impact and power? I can’t remember. 
    The Regions are on their knees with underinvestment and all in lower half of URC league. 
    Going to four regions was never going to work with the teams picked. They all look for investment and sponsorship from a small pool of businesses along a 60mile stretch of M4. 
    No real identity to the regions either, yet there is a natural identity for two regions East and West. 
    Sooner or later WRU has to bite the bullet. Apart. From Scotland we have the smallest pool of players in 6Nations, why do we think we can run four fully professional teams?