The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26812
    VimFuego said:
    I'd like to see some changes to England, bring in Pearson and start Cunningham South in the back row, Wabosi to get a start, drop care and bring in Spencer. Still think we'll lose, and lose royally, but it'll be more towards the team we want going forwards. 
    I'd go further than that, and drop at least half the team.

We're too scared of losing, with the result that we're dribbling in new players who're being brainwashed with that "play to not lose" approach that's been part of the England culture for years, before they have a chance to put their own stamp on the game.

It just feels like every exciting new blood coming into the team quickly gets forced into the England way of doing things, and becomes another anonymous player that you barely notice.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24681
    Good.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11478
    edited March 5
    One of the Smiths needs to start at fly half.  We need to be looking to the future.

The bigger problem in the last match was scrum half though, and Ollie Lawrence's stone hands at centre.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    One of the Smiths needs to start at fly half.  We need to be looking to the future.
    I'd give them half the game each and let them settle in a bit. None of that 5 mins at the end shit.

But, I would definitely want Finn with Mitchell whichever half it was. They work very well together.

VimFuego said:
    I'd like to see some changes to England, bring in Pearson and start Cunningham South in the back row, Wabosi to get a start, drop care and bring in Spencer. Still think we'll lose, and lose royally, but it'll be more towards the team we want going forwards. 

Pearson and C-S would be good to see, but I agree with Bertie that Earl isn't really an 8. C-S might be though.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    edited March 5
    Stop talking up Ireland, ye w*nkers. One of the Smiths will come in and do a Cipriani in 2008. Comfortable 15 point win for England....

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13574
    edited March 5
      but I agree with Bertie 

you do realise plagues of locusts are now sweeping the country,  shortly to be followed by drought (we've already had the floods I think)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dr_NecessiterDr_Necessiter Frets: 306
    crunchman said:

The bigger problem in the last match was scrum half though, and Ollie Lawrence's stone hands at centre.

There is only one now: Fin Smith is injured apparently. 

I just don't see England breaking down the Irish defence, they nilled Italy and only conceded one try to Wales. Scotland might do better than the other home nations but they have to get enough ball and territory to be competitive and that will take some doing.
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    bertie said:
      but I agree with Bertie 

you do realise plagues of locusts are now sweeping the country,  shortly to be followed by drought (we've already had the floods I think(
    I did throw up a little when I typed that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    I hope they stick with Lawrence. Yes, he had a shocker last match but he's young, powerful and that's not something I've seen from him before so hopefully it's just a blip. Ford sent some shocking passes his way, as well.

I'd like to see Marcus and Mitchell start (although they might be rusty after being away). Cunningham-South, Feyi-Waboso as well. There's a chance we get bullied by Ireland but that's almost certainly going to happen anyway. Give them some proper game time, and target winning in Paris.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11376
    I don't think that this is the game for England to be experimenting. It could end up a cricket score if they freeze. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26812
    scrumhalf said:
    I don't think that this is the game for England to be experimenting. It could end up a cricket score if they freeze. 
    That's a distinct possibility no matter what they do, though.
    <space for hire>
  • camfcamf Frets: 1192
    edited March 5
    I admire your pessimism but I think England are a better team than that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30975
    crunchman said:

There is only one now: Fin Smith is injured apparently. 

No, he will train Thurs.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

I was going to say "99"  but we'd loose that as well I think
    The match clashes completely with the F1.

One will be on the TV And the other on my iPad. Not sure which way round I want it.

Big screen slaughtering by Ireland, or Verstappen just buggering off into the distance.

Tough choice.
    edited March 7
    @fretmeister ;; @VimFuego
    Feyi-Waboso gets a start !!

England: Furbank; Feyi-Waboso, Slade, Lawrence, Freeman; Ford, Mitchell; Genge, George (capt), Cole, Itoje, Martin, Chessum, Underhill, Earl.

Replacements: Dan, Marler, Stuart, Cunningham-South, Dombrandt, Care, M Smith, Daly.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15644
    yeah, saw that. Shame he didn't start Smith at 10, and I can't see the point of Care when Spencer offers more. But we'll see, hopefully they'll be signs of something good to come.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

edited March 7
    VimFuego said:
    yeah, saw that. Shame he didn't start Smith at 10, and I can't see the point of Care when Spencer offers more. But we'll see, hopefully they'll be signs of something good to come.

we're going to get our craic well and truly widened,  so might was well give Care his 100th,  then he'll drop him
    bertie said:
    VimFuego said:

we're going to get our craic well and truly widened,  so might was well give Care his 100th,  then he'll drop him
    I had not thought about that.

Ok - I'd probably do that too.

Surprised that Steward isn't even on the bench.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2622
    Pleased to see George Horne get a start this weekend. He's our most attacking scrum-half, although he doesn't perhaps have Ben White or Ali Price's control. He seems to have gone for max mobility in the back row too.

It could just be, as Townsend says, to give White a rest, but I'm hoping it means we're going for speed at breakdown, heads up, open rugby.

Cam Redpath is the obvious choice at 12, but I remain curious to see Rory Hutchinson getting a shot, and Stafford Macdowall has looked good recently.