Pick angle

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Clarky said:

my new grip is now feeling completely normal.. better than before..

there's no going back now..

Great stuff, is there any chance of a picture showing your new pick angle, I'm all for trying new techniques.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Wow @mgaw, Carl Miner tore my face off!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    GuyBoden said:
    Clarky said:

my new grip is now feeling completely normal.. better than before..

there's no going back now..

Great stuff, is there any chance of a picture showing your new pick angle, I'm all for trying new techniques.
    I don't have a pic.. but if you look at Guthrie's grip, mine is roughly the same
    play every note as if it were your first
  • My grip looks weird. I know what Guthrie's looks like - that also looks weird to me lol. 
  • I've got a bad habit of not keeping my palm more level with the bridge. Instead the thumb ends pops out into the air. I play better when it's more level. 
    I've got a bad habit of not keeping my palm more level with the bridge. Instead the thumb ends pops out into the air. I play better when it's more level. 

my picking hand is like a 'flattened fist'

the heel of my hand [for want of a better term] is always in contact with either the bridge or the strings close to the bridge..

the picking technique therefore has to be compact / small

• The heel... Is the whole heel in contact with the bridge. I.e. is the thumb part of the heel in contact or does it pull upward slightly? 
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    edited September 2015

For me, the fleshy bit near the bottom edge of my hand usually brushes along the bridge. I occasionally raise my wrist up (Troy Grady calls it the Batio arc, but Van Halen was doing it before he was) to tremolo pick a passage. I find it helps to generate good strong notes, like at the run at the end of the Beat it solo. It also looks a bit more Rock n Roll.

The heel... Is the whole heel in contact with the bridge. I.e. is the thumb part of the heel in contact or does it pull upward slightly? 
    it's the bit where your hand meets the wrist on the little finger side [rather than the thumb side]
    that is my anchor and so it's always in contact with the bridge
    the big fleshy area on the thumb side is raise a touch so it's not in contact
    the picking is mostly wrist side to side but with a hint of rotation
  • OK good stuff - I'm the same. I find I pick better when the thumb side isn't too high up. I'm 50/50 side-to-side / rotation I think