EJ200 Acoustic Guitar Project - Input Gratefully Received - PICS ADDED

What's Hot
RoxRox Frets: 2147
edited August 2015 in Making & Modding
I was so impressed with the early 90's EJ200 I got (despite slight damage in transit) I've been looking for another.

A Vintage Sunburst one that has seen much better days popped up on ebay, so I snapped it up.

It's the same early 90's vintage, but has seen better days.  There's been a poor heel repair, some binding on the neck is missing, and the fretboard is coming away from the neck.  BUT, it's a gorgeous colour.

For £40, I figure that if it really is beyond playable repair, it's still going to look very pretty hung on the wall.

As you can see, there's plenty missing.  I've got some worn gold Grovers on the way I picked up very cheaply...

So, I need to locate a decent nut, bridge pins and bridge.  I need some neck binding too.  These are the things I'll need at the very least.

I'm planning to remove the rest of the headstock veneer (which is around 2mm thick and seems to come off quite easily), and even consider reshaping the headstock... In the interests of not fooling anyone, if I do add a G logo, I have the idea of adding the Epiphone rounded E logo in the centre of the crown, making it unambiguously an Epi.  Could look pretty good, I think.

I'm even tempted to replace the moustache bridge with a more Gibson-y one - they seem reasonably cheap - but how difficult is that to do?

As it's already knackered, it's a good project.  I'll post more pics when it arrives... but in the meantime...

All the bridge pins, nuts and bridges seem very cheap on ebay.. anyone have any experience of good ones to get - I don't want to end up with tat.  :D  A TRC with that very wide white border...

Also, I've been searching for a decent J200 scratchplate / pickguard - but I can't find any decent ones!

Let the suggestions, help and inevitable criticism begin!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments