EJ200 Acoustic Guitar Project - Input Gratefully Received - PICS ADDED

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looking in the soundhole, it's an early 1992 guitar.

I've found a nut that's the right size... so my biggest job to start with concerns the top of the neck there.  Obviously it's had a bit of a whack... but didn't break - well not at the top of the neck anyway.  It broke at the heel - which has already been fixed - roughly.  Although rough, it's really not very noticeable and I don't fancy trying to do something like that right now!

So, I need to work out where to get some binding...

Presumably I use glue (is superglue okay?) for the fretboard and to attach the binding?

I'm starting from scratch here chaps...  :)

Still, it looks pretty nice.  The colour's great.  The fretboard was very very dry, but a bit of lemon oil is sorting that out.

Not sure what to do with that headstock - tempted to strip off all the varnish, paint a design on there and re-lacquer, or leave it.

I've decided to create a design, rather than have wording on it...

All in all, pretty good.  Suggest away on any of the repairs required...
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    Looks like quite some "fretware" there. 

BTW, I got these bridge pins recently. They look good quality and fit the holes very well, unlike the crap plastic ones my local music shop sold me! I still have those if you want them, they're no use to me now. They could be the wrong size for your bridge holes as well of course.
    edited August 2015
    @thermionic - nice pins!  :D  I was rootling around in my spares box, and I don't even have one spare bridge pin!  Shockingly poor performance from me there...!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    If it were me I'd do the major stuff first, then if it goes tits up, you are not left with lots of little useless parts......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited August 2015
    @paulnb57 - where would you start?  ...presumably the fretboard lifting and the binding?

The top binding has a crack, but actually it feels pretty well attached, so I'll fill the tiny missing part and sand it smooth.

For the bottom binding I think it's best to remove the small piece nearest the headstock, and as the rest of it is pretty well fixed, only replace the two frets worth.  Should be able to smooth the parts of the binding together.

Mind you, even if it doesn't work, it'll look mighty purdy.  ;)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    Make a judgement call, I'd reglue the fretboard first, then the binding, seems logical, never done either but thats my 2 bobs worth....does it need a refret? I giess refret before binding?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

My gut feeling is that I've seen worse, and should be playable...
    So, I decided to just get rid of the broken lacquer above the tuners...

Glued the fretboard and clamped it together:

All glued nicely.  It's much smoother than it looks!
    Then I added some Melamine lacquer on the headstock.

You'll see I haven't done anything to the bit I cut off, but that layer of melamine lacquer suddenly makes the crown inlay look very old!
    I managed to find some plastic suitable for the binding, and shaped it down.  Glued it to the fretboard and neck:

Then I sanded it flush, and this is how it looks from the front (first two frets on the right):

And now ready for the strings and pins...