What's the thing about guitar stands staining finishes again?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited August 2015
    Titch said:
    My Hercules stands wore the finish off the neck of my 339 where it grips the neck.

I asked about this not long back and was informed that it was only the old guitar stands (whatever that means) that mark nitro finishes. THe inference being that manufacturers had solved the issue by changing the material of the padded surfaces. 

I reckon repeatedly replacing any finished wood on a surface that's holding its weight will have an eroding effect over time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The rubber edge to my Levi strap left a mark on my R8
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    streethawk;747836" said:
    Titch said:

My Hercules stands wore the finish off the neck of my 339 where it grips the neck. 

I asked about this not long back and was informed that it was only the old guitar stands (whatever that means) that mark nitro finishes. THe inference being that manufacturers had solved the issue by changing the material of the padded surfaces. 

I reckon repeatedly replacing any finished wood on a surface that's holding its weight will have an eroding effect over time.
    There is a difference between wear and a chemical reaction though
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    Neil said:
    I think the finish on poly Fenders must be pretty much bombproof as I left my Strat on a stand for 17 years without moving it with no ill effect!

Blimey, it must have been pretty dusty.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    Philly_Q said:
    Neil said:
    I think the finish on poly Fenders must be pretty much bombproof as I left my Strat on a stand for 17 years without moving it with no ill effect!

Blimey, it must have been pretty dusty.
    I did used to give it a cursory rub over.
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5055
    edited August 2015
    ICBM;745351" said:

MattFGBI said:Never leave any guitar on a stand long term. Even poly can be stained if the stand starts to deteriorate. 

I'd go even further. Never leave any finish in contact with any form of soft plastic or synthetic rubber in the long term - that includes some strap ends, and cables which some people keep in the case along with the guitar. I've seen a few - even things like 70s Fenders, which should be immune given they're polyester - marked like this.
    Marks Guitar Loft had a 70s Tele for sale a while ago that had been stored with a curly lead in the case and the guitar had a big curly whirly mark in the white finish right across the top of the body!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    It's not just nitro, tru-oil, colon antique oil, rattle can acrylic, just about everything I've ever refinished!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5055
    cbilly22;747438" said:
    I tried a Tiny Terror in store but gave it up as a bad idea after one of the bods there unplugged the live head from the speaker twice! You try to give places close to you a fair crack of the wip but I've not been in since.
    I had a brain dead moment at a gig on Saturday and set everything up and switched on and wondered why no sound was coming out - I realised I hadn't connected the head to the cab. Fortunately it all worked ok for the gig, maybe something to do with Denis making his Cornell Plexi 18/20s very electronically sturdy in the first place. (Maybe someone will put me straight on this in due course though.)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    ICBM;745351" said:

MattFGBI said:Never leave any guitar on a stand long term. Even poly can be stained if the stand starts to deteriorate. 

I'd go even further. Never leave any finish in contact with any form of soft plastic or synthetic rubber in the long term - that includes some strap ends, and cables which some people keep in the case along with the guitar. I've seen a few - even things like 70s Fenders, which should be immune given they're polyester - marked like this.
    Marks Guitar Loft had a 70s Tele for sale a while ago that had been stored with a curly lead in the case and the guitar had a big curly whirly mark in the white finish right across the top of the body!
    This I need to see!

On a more serious note, my white LP Custom does have marks from the stand and also a black microfibre cloth that I bought and cut up to protect the guitar from the stand.. I'll try and remember to take some photos.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I replaced the foam areas on my stand with an old towel -problem solved!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    edited August 2015
    Sarge;748406" said:
    It's not just nitro, tru-oil, colon antique oil, rattle can acrylic, just about everything I've ever refinished!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    WTF is COLON antique oil? Do you have to milk yourself for it?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Yes, a friend of mine has a black 70s Strat with a similar mark on the back. There must be something in the curly cable (most likely a plasticiser) which is capable of softening even polyester.

I had a brain dead moment at a gig on Saturday and set everything up and switched on and wondered why no sound was coming out - I realised I hadn't connected the head to the cab. Fortunately it all worked ok for the gig, maybe something to do with Denis making his Cornell Plexi 18/20s very electronically sturdy in the first place. (Maybe someone will put me straight on this in due course though.)
    In practice it's not a risk unless the amp is cranked up and producing sound at the time. If no power is being developed then there is nothing that can damage anything.

The problem is that a very few amps are unstable with no load and will self-oscillate, effectively then being cranked up at full volume. Two examples I know of are the Vox AC50 and the Mesa Dual Rectifier when in Modern High-Gain mode.

Most transformers will tolerate even that for a short period with no damage. Just don't try it with a modern Marshall...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    paulnb57;749841" said:
    WTF is COLON antique oil? Do you have to milk yourself for it?
    Antique colon oil, I follow granma around with a funnel.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I apply a couple of white mailing labels over the rubbers for any nitro finish guitars I place in it, that prevents it.

But one stands' foot rubbers have actually leached into my poly/wool mix carpet!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>