Guitar Boxes

What's Hot
GallagheroneGallagherone Frets: 143
edited August 2015 in Guitar
Has anyone had experience with posting a guitar? I have a hard case for mine and would imagine that it needs to be boxed or packaged also.

Any ideas on how best to do it and where I could get the right size/shape boxes from?

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    I've sent and received guits in hard cases just wrapped in black bin liners, or bubblwrap alone and they've been fine, though I would go to either your local guitar shop or a bicycle shop and see if they have some, most will be free, SoundsLive used to beg me to take more!
    Bike boxes are great size too.
  • Don't.

If you value it, take/fetch it yourself.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27835
    Phil is right, but if the buyer/seller is at the other side/end of the country, the personal delivery service isn't always practical.

There are various packing tips - de-tension the strings, put some bubblewrap around the headstock in the case, *always* use a hardcase, and then put that into a decent guitar shipping carton (local music store will have plenty), with enough packing materials so that the case doesn't rattle around in the box.

Use a reputable carrier - ie one that will actually sell you valid insurance cover and not small print out their liability - and insure anything that you couldn't afford to lose.

Never send on a Friday - because then your guitar will likely spend its weekend in a courier depot somewhere, probably serving as a goalpost - and use a 24hr service because that reduces its time in transit and thereore the risk.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony;748393" said:
    Phil is right, but if the buyer/seller is at the other side/end of the country, the personal delivery service isn't always practical.

There are various packing tips - de-tension the strings, put some bubblewrap around the headstock in the case, *always* use a hardcase, and then put that into a decent guitar shipping carton (local music store will have plenty), with enough packing materials so that the case doesn't rattle around in the box.

Use a reputable carrier - ie one that will actually sell you valid insurance cover and not small print out their liability - and insure anything that you couldn't afford to lose.

Never send on a Friday - because then your guitar will likely spend its weekend in a courier depot somewhere, probably serving as a goalpost - and use a 24hr service because that reduces its time in transit and thereore the risk.
    ...And THAT ladies and gentlemen is that.
    Wisdom awarded.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Go to Halfords and blag a BMX bike box. Much better than guitar boxes and a good size. Use polystyrene chips, bubble wrap or loosely inflated polybags to take up the empty space and secure with plenty of tape. Always use a hardcase.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23507

I just keep all the boxes from the guitars I've bought....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4751
    A box will be fine if you can fill it with chips, bubble wrap the guitar, secure the headstock with more bubble wrap and stop it moving.  Then put the box in another packed box.  Send it UPS and get £1000 insurance.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Musicstore.de just chucked my Guild acoustic (in its case) into a massive box the size of a fat man's coffin with some crumpled up brown paper - with strings at full tension! was fine though!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9726
    I bought an acoustic from Thomann, I thought I'd better buy a case while I'm at it just to be on the safe side.

They sent the guitar in one box and the empty case in another.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    I bought an acoustic from Thomann, I thought I'd better buy a case while I'm at it just to be on the safe side.

how do you think all the guitar shops receive guitars?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    meltedbuzzbox;748588" said:
    thermionic said:

If it's Thomann then in a huge crate containing 100+ guitars from china.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    We send stuff all day every day. If you're anywhere near East Grinstead you can have one of our boxes.

The key is making sure it doesn't move in the box. If you have a hard case that's great, one wrap of bubbles will be fine plus some in the bottom. Put the case in and then pack up the top until it doesn't move.

I wouldn't worry about tension on the strings. We send guitars tuned all around the world.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    MattFGBI said:
    I wouldn't worry about tension on the strings. We send guitars tuned all around the world.
    Yes, but you're Fender ;).

If you do that with a Gibson and the box gets dropped, it arrives as a Steinberger…

:)

The fundamental problem is that it's pot luck. You can pack the thing to almost bombproof levels and if the box gets dropped hard enough, the internal inertia of the guitar can damage it. Or you can put the case in a bin liner and 90% of the time it will be fine.

Everyone who has sent or received a guitar without damage is in the majority, but is still lucky. If you cant afford to just be lucky, don't send it by courier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    ^ I bought a Tele on ebay years ago and the seller just put it in a gig bag and stuck on a label.
    Arrived in perfect condition!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    ^ I bought a Tele on ebay years ago and the seller just put it in a gig bag and stuck on a label.
    Arrived in perfect condition!
    As weird as it sounds there is some logic in that - a courier is perhaps more likely to handle it rather than throw like they might do a box.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16877
    I got my danelectro wrapped in a bin bag loose in a box, it was fine.

But I pack to be bombproof. I have been guilty of over packing within a case to the point it affected the setup. Light packing within a close fitting case, well packed within another box works well.

As ICBM says, inertia is often responsible for damage. If you can hear it moving within the package its not packaged well enough
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    meltedbuzzbox;748588" said:
    thermionic said:

If a shop or manufacturer has a guitar break in shipping then they're only out the cost price of the item, they post enough stuff that they can play the probabilities and they're probably more likely to get a payout from a courier due to the amount they put through. All of that is totally different for a private seller.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I sent a Marshall 100/100 in a rack flight case and it's got mangled. God knows what they done to it. It was insured though. I had to argue for ages that the case it was in was a touring grade bomb proof enclosure

The lighter the guitar the less chance it has of breaking if you ask me
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8074
    What size guitar is it?

If it's expensive, get it professionally packed.  Many companies offer this kind of service, either cardboard of wooden crates.

Marlin
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Regarding Insurance: read the small print, probably don't cover guitars at all but will take your money.

However, what's the deal if they lose the parcel?

Would they still pay out a grand if you'd insured it at that value?