whats a good EVH style sounding humbucker?

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
without buying the very expensive EVH humbucker lol...thimking dimarzio/Duncan etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    I put some P90's recently into a contact's Peavey EVH.  He took away the humbuckers to potentially sell.  Do you want me to see if he's still got them?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11618
    tFB Trader
    Simple answers:

ASL Eruption 
    BKP VH2

Where to buy?
    Feline Guitars!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Evh Frankenstein ?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    SD Custom Custom. (Apparently used by Ed in the Kramer Era).

DiMarzio Air Zone (often cited as being the closest pup to the DiMarzios in the Music Man VH guitars)

+1 for the BK vhii.

I have had all of these and they're all great for that sound.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    I would be calling the brilliant Ash at Oil City or Feline Guitars for an ASL Eruption.
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I have a Frankenstein in my Stormshadow stormer 5150 and it's brilliant. I'm sure any of the above mentioned pickups will all be close however. Also the SD 78 hasn't been mentioned yet and this is also meant to be very good for early van halen. The ASL eruption will I think be very close to the Frankenstein ;)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434

I used a bog standard Gibson PAF in my Frankenstrat, screwed directly into the wood. I think his original guitar used on the first couple of albums had a Dimarzio pickup with a PAF magnet from a Gibson  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Cabicular said:
    Evh Frankenstein ?
    Lol.......read my OP! ;)  The SD custom custom I've had before in a strat and an old ibanez....that is a nice creamy pickup that's been suggested a few times elsewhere when chasing EVH toanz. I've also got a usa Wolfgang that's one of my main gigging guitars...the pups are nice in that for dirty stuff but a bit dark n thick for cleaner toanz. Would Defo prefer to try something different for my frankenstein thats soon to be made. Already have a SD Custom and might try that as is with its alnico 5 magnet then maybe swap it for an alnico 2 to make it a CC if the A5 mag doesn't do it for me. Failing that open to suggestions!! Hence this thread.  :-) 
    The SD Custom i have for the record is uninstalled and untried still in its box....
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Frankie's original pickup was a regular 'Paf' style humbucker out of a 60s 335.

Therefore if you want the 'original' sound, a regular PAF style, lowish wind pickup will be about right.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    The Seymour Duncan '78 Model is a recreation of one EVH used, I believe (although SD distance themselves from specifically saying that).
    I bet like they do the same with their JB!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    Allegedly the Custom Custom was supposed to be the EVH signature pickup originally, but Seymour and Eddie couldn't agree on the deal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    I believe one of their early pickups was called an EVH - as in 'Evenly Voiced Harmonics' (yeah, right!) - that design may be the same as the one they now call the '78?
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited August 2015
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    an EVH neck pickup ? Scuse me whilst I just go and bang my head against a wall...........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    The Custom Custom is nice and I have it in one of my swamp ash bodied panthers but it is a hotter more sizzling pickup than the tone of early VH.
    For that I would go the VH2, Eruption, Duncan '78 or the EVH own product.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    +1 for the ASL eruption
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    If you want to hear an eruption I do have one in a EVH -alike Baretta type guitar here at Feline (as well as having more on the shelf)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    how much is that Baretta? Only needs a striped paint job n its done ! :)