whats a good EVH style sounding humbucker?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    siraxeman;749708" said:
    Cabicular said:

Evh Frankenstein ?

Lol.......read my OP! ;)  The SD custom custom I've had before in a strat and an old ibanez....that is a nice creamy pickup that's been suggested a few times elsewhere when chasing EVH toanz. I've also got a usa Wolfgang that's one of my main gigging guitars...the pups are nice in that for dirty stuff but a bit dark n thick for cleaner toanz. Would Defo prefer to try something different for my frankenstein thats soon to be made. Already have a SD Custom and might try that as is with its alnico 5 magnet then maybe swap it for an alnico 2 to make it a CC if the A5 mag doesn't do it for me. Failing that open to suggestions!! Hence this thread.  :-) 
    Sorry mate I didn't know if you meant the evh production version I don't think 95 quid is super expensive for a pickup? I would avoid the Wolfgang I spend a lot of time replacing them as they are as microphonic as pickups come
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    Evh used mighty mite distortion pups early on......
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    DiMarzio Air Zone (often cited as being the closest pup to the DiMarzios in the Music Man VH guitars)

Is it? I know Dimarzio says the Tone Zone is the closest (not convinced), I could swear a while back they said the Andy Timmons was the closest. I haven't tried the Air Zone but I'm guessing it's closer than the Tone Zone.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2015

Tone Zone into a Marshall with an MXR phaser/flanger gets pretty close to the early EVH sound.

Certainly my Charvel with the TZ gets pretty close. Despite my non-EVH like playing.

Edit - The DiMazio Virtual Hot PAF gets pretty close as well.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

yeah the tz in the charvel isn't as dark as i've heard it in some other guitars. the lack of the tone knob? the alder body and maple neck/fretboard? :shrug:

still, if i were going exclusively for the early EVH tone I'd probably want something a bit less hot and a bit brighter.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    EVH s original pickup used on his frankenstein guitar was an old PAF taken out of a Gibson 335.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    Simple answers:

ASL Eruption 
    BKP VH2

Where to buy?
    Feline Guitars!
    I've got a BKP VH2 in a (very pink) RG550 and it's ace. With a Wampler Pinnacle we are absolutely in EVH territory.

I even bought the VH2 at Feline Guitars... specifically so that Jon soldered it to my guitar rather than me soldering it to my head.

:-)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    Dave_Mc;750139" said:
    mudslide73 said:DiMarzio Air Zone (often cited as being the closest pup to the DiMarzios in the Music Man VH guitars)

Is it? I know Dimarzio says the Tone Zone is the closest (not convinced), I could swear a while back they said the Andy Timmons was the closest. I haven't tried the Air Zone but I'm guessing it's closer than the Tone Zone.
    I'd seen this on forums so it's regurgitated by me so please don't take it as gospel. I had one and an Air Norton in a Jackson Fusion and it was in the territory. I've got a Custom Custom in it now and there's not much in it.

I've got a VH2 in my orange Mighty Mite bitsa and it's more raw and bright than either. I'd be interested in trying the ASL though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    If you want to hear an eruption I do have one in a EVH -alike Baretta type guitar here at Feline (as well as having more on the shelf)

Spoke too soon - somebody bought this over the phone today - was it one of you fine chaps?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

^ Nope but I thought it looked awesome (gave you a wow) when you posted it yesterday.

Hang on a second, is it purple? I just thought it was black when I saw it yesterday... :))
    Dave_Mc;750139" said:
    mudslide73 said:DiMarzio Air Zone (often cited as being the closest pup to the DiMarzios in the Music Man VH guitars)

I'd seen this on forums so it's regurgitated by me so please don't take it as gospel. I had one and an Air Norton in a Jackson Fusion and it was in the territory. I've got a Custom Custom in it now and there's not much in it.

I've got a VH2 in my orange Mighty Mite bitsa and it's more raw and bright than either. I'd be interested in trying the ASL though.
    No worries. As I said, I've seen conflicting advice from Dimarzio itself, and (having not tried it) I'd have though the Air Zone should at least be closer than the Tone Zone.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Surely the pick.up needed is a
    markj;750798" said:
    EVH s original pickup used on his frankenstein guitar was an old PAF taken out of a Gibson 335.
    The Frankenstein is not the guitar for the original sound though, surely?

Ibanez Destroyer with a maxon pick up?
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    I'll say it again, mighty mite distortion #1400