help me narrow it down...

What's Hot
ok so this is hard to admit but...i have played guitar for a long time but never actually owned a strat :O i know i know! so i thought it about time i rectified that.

A bit of context, i have never gone for fender in a big way, some friends have them and i have played them and they are nice but i have never felt them worthy of the pricetag, at least not at my range which is the sub 1000 mark. I would rather buy a different brand guitar for 500 thats worth 500 than a fender that is worth the same but cost 800 you know?

AAAAANYWAY, my point is, i am looking for a decent strat type guitar not necessarily fender and i am daunted by the sheer choice. i want something with a headstock end trussrod adjuster or at the very least a heel hex nut, and a flatter than usual radius. i was looking at the G&L s500 but does anyone have any other ideas??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How flat? Flatter than the U.S. standard 9.5"? Or just flatter than vintage (7.5")? Barring the radius requirements I was going to suggest a used US standard for your budget as the best place to start, they've all had decent spec for at least the past decade with the newest ones having even nicer pickups, they're pretty common.
  • well flatter than the standard 9.5 ideally, thats why i am looking at the G&L which i think is 12 inch if i remember correctly, just helpful for fret choking as i bend a lot (oo er) and i dont find flat boards that uncomfortable anyway
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    Check out the Fender 60s Classic Player strat, that's got a 12" radius fretboard. Cracking guitars for the money too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i already looked them budgie cheers, but they have a 7.25 inch radius and the truss rod adjusts at the heel
  • Are you sure you actually want one? Because it sounds like you feel you *should* have one but actually aren't very sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @UnclePsychosis yes i am sure. they are still the most comfortable shape i have ever played, and some of the most versatile. this isnt some snap decision it has been a long time gestating and now i feel the time is right if only i can find the perfect candidate...
  • Fair enough.

G&L are awesome. Do it. ;-)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    i already looked them budgie cheers, but they have a 7.25 inch radius and the truss rod adjusts at the heel
    I think the have the flatter neck, but you're right about the truss rod adjustment.

How about a deluxe (compound raduis 9.5 to 14) or deluxe player  (12" radius).    
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Squier Classic Vibe?
    Cheap as chips, heastock truss rod adjustment, 9.5" radius and decent sized frets. Great value for money despite being a "copy".
    Only drawback is the slim neck but you get used to it.
  • The classic player 60s strat has a 12 inch radius as Budgie says-you may have tried the classic series 60s strat which is 7.25. (You are right in the 60s spec hidden truss rod adjustment though)

The Classic player is a cracking guitar-updated c/s pickups and 12 inch radius neck are among the upgrades over normal classic series. Definitely worth a look in your budget if you are looking new-if not then a used us standard would prob fit the bill.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9703
    edited August 2015
    In my experience the radius is less of a problem than you might expect. Players such as Hendrix, Buddy Guy, etc must have used Strats which had the vintage 7.25" radius without 'choking out' and they're both quite bendy.
    Anyway, the ESP ST213 guitars are Strat copies that have a 350mm radius board (that's about 14" in old money) and have the truss rod adjustment at the right end for you. I haven't tried one but by accounts they do punch above their weight and compare very favourably with the MIM Fenders.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    i already looked them budgie cheers, but they have a 7.25 inch radius and the truss rod adjusts at the heel
    Definitely a 12" radius... here's the fender page with the spec - http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitars/stratocaster/classic-player-60s-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've got a G&L strat and for the money I think you'd struggle to find a better guitar. It plays beautifully and has a wide variety of tones. Only drawback is the weight, it's a heavy beast but on a wide strap you don't notice it too much.
  • ah my mistake chaps, quite right i was looking at the wrong one! However the heel adjust truss rod is still a no no for me.

@HAL9000 the LTD ST213 is a good shout, i will have to go give one a bash. And yeah i have no doubt they did play small radius strats, i just like flatter boards so i can get my action lower without worrying about the choke out at all
  • @Sassafras have you got a tribute? my friend has one and it weighs an absolute ton! not that i mind because it sounds really good
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    @Sassafras have you got a tribute? my friend has one and it weighs an absolute ton! not that i mind because it sounds really good

Yes, it's the tribute series, I think it's the S500. It's got more tones than a regular Strat because of the pull-out tone control. It's fun to use as a kind of wah sound.
    It's one of my favourite guitars at any price.
    The controls take a bit of time to work out but you soon get used to them.
  • thats the one i am currently leaning towards too, what do you think of the tremolo system? 
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/48620/fs-yamaha-pacifica-611-seymour-duncans-graphtec-grovers-etc-250-delivered#latest

No trem but a great hot rodded strat type.

If you didn't fancy mine there are plenty of other Pacificas that might tick all the boxes.

• Thanks for the offer @cbilly22 but i am looking for an SSS configuration at the minute, although where were you a year ago when this is all i was looking for! :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Thanks for the offer @cbilly22 but i am looking for an SSS configuration at the minute, although where were you a year ago when this is all i was looking for! :P
    ahhh, my timing is perfect as always :)