help me narrow it down...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    thats the one i am currently leaning towards too, what do you think of the tremolo system? 

The trem is really good, very stable and sensitive. Holds tuning for ages.
    Having said that, I don't use the trem that much apart from slapping it with the palm of my hand to give a nice warbly sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22 said:
    Thanks for the offer @cbilly22 but i am looking for an SSS configuration at the minute, although where were you a year ago when this is all i was looking for! :P
    ahhh, my timing is perfect as always :)
    as is mine! typical isn't it...

Sassafras said:
    thats the one i am currently leaning towards too, what do you think of the tremolo system? 

The trem is really good, very stable and sensitive. Holds tuning for ages.
    Having said that, I don't use the trem that much apart from slapping it with the palm of my hand to give a nice warbly sound.
    i am not much of a heavy trem user either only the occasional warble as you say (usually at the end of a song when i am too lazy to think of a decent outro...) i have read that they are really good, the only thing that bugs me is the rubber collars around the posts, i am sure they help the movement and all but when i set up my friends' legacy, the fact that i could sit it flat to the body annoyed me a little
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162

If you like the idea of the G&L Tributes but have <£1000 to spend look out for used USA models. You'll struggle to get anything under £500 or so, but you won't necessarily need to spend a lot more than that to get something nice. My S-500 has a bunch of added options on it- locking tuners, binding etc- but only cost a shade over £600. As good as the Tributes are, the US G&Ls are better, and by buying used you'll circumvent the atrocious resale value.

FWIW, I really like G&L's PTB tone controls, which give you master treble and bass controls on the two tone knobs instead of the classic Strat's rather odd arrangement. The MFD pickups are a little hotter and warmer than single coils too, which puts you somewhere between the classic thin Fender sound and a humbucker.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    You need one of the new FENDAR guitar models.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    @notonlybutalso

I hadn't even noticed it has rubber collets.
    Can't say it affects the trem, as I say, it's very stable and actually holds tuning better than most of my fixed bridge guitars.
  • notonlybutalsonotonlybutalso Frets: 110
    edited August 2015
    hotpot said:
    You need one of the new FENDAR guitar models.

oh my god, a moveable nut?? thats genius!! i wonder if it moves along as you play, and the slides back with a ping like a typewriter
  • If you like the idea of the G&L Tributes but have <£1000 to spend look out for used USA models. You'll struggle to get anything under £500 or so, but you won't necessarily need to spend a lot more than that to get something nice. My S-500 has a bunch of added options on it- locking tuners, binding etc- but only cost a shade over £600. As good as the Tributes are, the US G&Ls are better, and by buying used you'll circumvent the atrocious resale value.

FWIW, I really like G&L's PTB tone controls, which give you master treble and bass controls on the two tone knobs instead of the classic Strat's rather odd arrangement. The MFD pickups are a little hotter and warmer than single coils too, which puts you somewhere between the classic thin Fender sound and a humbucker.

yeah i am a big fan of the PTB controls too, i really like the little tweaks the G&L stuff has over the stock fenders. as for buyingused that was my plan either way, i would love to get a used USA one for around 600 if i find the perfect one, but i am more than happy with a tribute for about 300 as well