Mattresses

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
Anyone bought a new mattress recently?

Need to get one, ours is coming to the end of its unnatural life.

Was tempted by the Eve mattresses. 100 day money back guarantee seems rather good.
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

We had one a couple of months ago from the co-op. You should get to your nearest one, join the day you're looking and then order when your membership comes though cos you'll get a big discount. 3 years interest free credit too.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Don't go for Silent Night. I got a pocket sprung one from a Groupon deal, it's pretty comfortable.
    My V key is broken
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    edited August 2015
    We're also looking at the moment. We quite liked the Laz-y Boy System 30. Its about a grand, but think how much time spend in bed! Our current one was just over £100 from Groupon, had it a year and I have all sorts of aches and pains that I didnt use to get! I reckon its one of those scenarios of you get what you pay for!
  • Didn't Douglas Adams describe them as growing wild on the planet of Sevorbeupstry?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Parker said:
    We're also looking at the moment. We quite liked the Laz-y Boy System 30. Its about a grand, but think how much time spend in bed! Our current one was just over £100 from Groupon, had it a year and I have all sorts of aches and pains that I didnt use to get! I reckon its one of those scenarios of you get what you pay for!
    Yeah, my gut feeling (and the pain in my lower back) suggests you get what you pay for.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    Pillows can also help.

Case in point - we had a new mattress about a year ago. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive - was about £500-£600 I think...Pretty firm, but was hoping it would solve my lower back problems that I'd been getting with my shitty (very old) mattress....But no improvement really, both me and the wife would wake up with back problems. 

We recently changed our pillows to ones that weren't as firm, and I've since not had any of the same issues - yet the mattress is still the same. 

the wife still gets back problems, but I think that's more to do with the fact she's playing netball 4 times a week and is generally a very "tense" person, so has all sorts of back tightness - she said it's been better since we changed the pillows. 
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    MrBump said:
    Parker said:
    Yeah, my gut feeling (and the pain in my lower back) suggests you get what you pay for.
    Absolutely. Our one cost about £900 before any discounts, and the difference between that and our last one is night and day.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Yes. It's a wonderland of confusion. We now have a tempur one. I'm unconvinced although MrsTheWeary loves it. They do a trial thing if you buy direct, although we shopped around and saved a bit but with no trial.
    I liked Ikea for mattresses - big range, relatively cheap.
    My sister has a very bad back ( she has scoliosis) and has spent £10ks on beds and mattresses. She mostly sleeps now on a £30 inflatable camping mattress on the floor.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    Do not get memory foam unless you like being really hot and sweaty.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462

Hot and sweaty is true with memory foam but my God they're awesome. We spent a small fortune on one a few years back and it's easily the best thing I've ever had. I get excited about going to bed and don't want to get up. My wife and I have actually had the conversation about who would get it if we ever got divorced.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940

Hot and sweaty is true with memory foam but my God they're awesome. We spent a small fortune on one a few years back and it's easily the best thing I've ever had. I get excited about going to bed and don't want to get up. My wife and I have actually had the conversation about who would get it if we ever got divorced.
    It takes all sorts I suppose.  Not really my thing.   We did have a waterbed for a long time now that was comfortable.

• danodano Frets: 1596
    when you are mattress shopping it's worth testing them on your hands and knees, for the support... just saying
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Just make sure it's a super king!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    capo4th;751190" said:
    Just make sure it's a super king!
    ^This

Sharing a 4'6" bed every night with some fucker that's fairly short and petite but suddenly becomes all arms and legs taking up 3 parts of the bed as soon as she hits the mattress is no fun.

We've had our Super king for 5 months now and I probably mentioned it on the last bed thread but... I've never slept so good! It's like sleeping in another County. And you don't fall off the sides as easily when doing other things ;)

Sleep experts will tell you that sharing a bed is not conducive to a good nights sleep.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Premier Inn spent a fortune having a mattress made that is apparently amazing - a friend's wife is a company director. She bought one he raves about it. You can now buy them apparently.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/why/Buy_our_bed.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited August 2015

I've been looking at Happy Beds.  Pocket sprung starts at around £250 for a king,  Normal sprung with or without memory foam around £120.  I got a solid foam 10 inch mattress with 2 inches of memory foam and it went mouldy and it also gave me a bad back.  It's like 75% humidity in here and everything goes fucking mouldy and worm eaten.  Sleeping on the floor in a barn would be more my style, as everything in a flat or house turns to shit in this country unless you keep the heating on constantly all year round.  If you want nice things, you have to be prepared to live like a WAG and waste a shit load of cash on unnecessary heating whilst using up a finite resource.  Once the gas has run out, it will all turn to shit again, mark my words, so I'II probably get a head start sleeping in a barn.

What about a cardboard box?

My bed is 190cm long and I have to sleep diagonally as it has a headboard and baseboard, I though it was small because it was old, but apparently that is normal length of a double.  there is no way someone who is 6' or over can sleep straight on a mattress that size.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    Last time we bought a bed we went to a department store, John Lewis as it happens, and tried out a whole line of mattresses.  That allowed a literal side by side comparison.  Having a budget is one thing, but spending around a third of your life in bed shows how important the purchase can be.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Did you try out the toilet bowls too?  After all you spend a fiftieth of your life on the toilet.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    You get what you pay for in quality, but not necessarily comfort. 

We had a lovely, expensive memory foam in our old flat in London and I had back pain the entire time. We now have a cheap sprung mattress with a thick squishy pad on top and it's the most comfortable bed I've ever had. It won't last as long, I'm sure, but luckily we got a matching one for the spare room so we can swap when ours is knackered :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited August 2015

I've got one, and it's great. Like laying on top of a big fat bird from Margate, who's passed out from too much Lambrini on a Saturday night.

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom