Plunge Saws?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6117
edited August 2015 in Making & Modding
Anyone using one as opposed to a bench saw?
They seem a lot more practical given their size and ability to cut through large sheets.

Any recommendations?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I've got a large circ saw/plunge saw (no rail) that's good for large pieces. Also got an Evolution sliding chop saw, like a plunge with a base. The circ has to be over a free edge to allow for the blade but the chop base takes care of that.
    I got the Evo mainly for metal but the blade is multi-purpose and eats wood very easily & neatly.
    Dunno if that helps any. They both do a job, for slicing large sheets the circ saw is the thing, for guitar-sized things the chop saw is mostly better. Much more control and a finer cut, light & movable too.
    Wouldn't necessarily recommend the Evo, the blades are pricey, a dedicated wood one should be cheaper on that front. I'd go sliding not fixed, whichever way.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    I don't have one and I don't really need one.

It might be helpful for cutting down sheets of MDF but I generally get the lumberyard to halve them for me to make them easier to transport.
    I have a chop saw which gets used a bit.
    Mostly though it is a bandsaw that gets used for processing stuff.
    I would spend more on a bandsaw, rather than getting a few different machines that only have limited application.
    tFB Trader

@equalsql what sort of jobs have you got in mind?

Circ saw for ripping sheet, worktop etc, mine was only £30ish at the time so not pricey but no good for guitars.
    Bandsaw for getting close to a guitar outline.
    Done loads with the chopsaw, car rebuilds, workbenches, fences, firewood etc.
    Horses for courses. I wouldn't be without any of them, luckily the bandsaw was a broken freebie, but each has paid it's keep many times over.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6117
    I'm building a 16 x 8 foot shed at the moment and will soon be converting my brick-garage into a sound studio, so lots of sheet wood cutting. I'm also planning to build speaker/combo cabinets in the future plus a fair amount of other cabinet projects like wall units etc.  I already have a chop-saw and a circular saw with my own cutting guide but had been thinking about getting a bench-saw ergo my interest in the plunge-saws as many woodworker think they might be a more practical alternative.

I know that they are more of a one-trick pony, but obviously take up a lot less space, hence my query on here for anyone who actually uses one :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    tFB Trader
    Cool projects! :)  They look great at what they do, but haven't used one so that's no use at all, sorry. That amount of work and the portability & neatness etc would probably make me buy one but I'm as bad for acquiring tools as guitar gear.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited August 2015
    I dont see how a plunge saw would be much benefit over a circular saw. I have two of these for whenever I need to cut 8x4 sheets

http://www.axminster.co.uk/progrip-guide-clamp

Handy things for sawing and routing, though you do need to make sure you keep it up to the fence and dont let is drift. I use one on my router table as a mount for these when making beading and such.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/progrip-featherboard

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ I agree.  Although I do most of my routing freehand, I have a sliding chop saw and a table saw but I have a couple of circular saws and a steel straight that get used more than anything. It's been that way forever so I don't really see any real advantage to a plunge saw whatsoever.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.