P90 for jazzmaster

What's Hot
wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
does anyone know where I can get a p90 that'll fit in a jazzmaster pup cover. Apart from lollar or the creamery? I want to swap the bridge pup on my otherwise excellent CVJM. Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    Just use the creamery, lollars are overpriced.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12693
    Mojo - best Jazzmaster pickups available, IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    You could do worse than getting secondhand Squier J Mascis pickups, which are supposedly like P90s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good call or the pickups from a Classic Player Mexican - they aren't quite a p90 but they are much beefier, have more mids and suit rockier styles better

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2909
    impmann;755688" said:
    Bingo
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8045
    impmann said:
    BIG +1

This is what I have in mine....not Mojo, strickly speaking, not a P90 - but evil Mosrite deliciousness.

Marlin :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    I'd put in another vote for Mojo. had a P90 in the bridge of a JM for a while.
    Sounded great, but I went back to stock as I find P90s too muddy for my personal taste.
    But yeah, Mojo - best value and service I reckon!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Thanks all some stuff to think about. Really impressed with the neck pickup on this guitar just find the bridge a little too bright and hot but not in good way.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27773
    I only know of Marc's work by reputation - but that's a pretty good way to have your work recognised when the reputation is as strong as his is.

This is a complete pickup & wiring loom that he's just prepared for a forum project.  Work of art.

Drop him a PM and ask advice @mojopickups  

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    as said lots above

Mojo Pickups

he is the daddy!! 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    another +1 for mojo, never looked back
    wayneirie;756314" said:
    Thanks all some stuff to think about. Really impressed with the neck pickup on this guitar just find the bridge a little too bright and hot but not in good way.
    Yes, I felt the same. So Marc at Mojo made me an overwound bridge unit. I asked him to make a unit that was like the Broadcaster pickup was to a regular Tele pickup. It needs to be fatter, more mids but still balances with the neck unit.

I didn't want the P90 sound, as such. I just wanted something less harsh and clangy, with a little more mids...

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    I am another user of an over wound bridge. 
    I have had 4 sets of JM pickups wound like this. I prefer that to the p90
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Quite new to the jazzmaster. But it's the first fender I've really bonded with had a U.S. tele and strat. They were fine guitars but didn't quite feel right for me. A U.S. Or one of the mexican lacquer ones is on the list. But I've got some other purchases to make first. I think I'll try the overwound until I can upgrade and see how I get on many thanks to all for the help.