Les Paul questions

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
    Have only read the OP because I'm supposed to be in a training session but 21st birthday guitars are awesome and therefore what you need is a 1995 LP Custom in black or faded white with the pickup covers removed because they're the best les pauls.

Or, of course, get Feline to make you the above. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    Iamnobody said:
    IMO and experience I wouldn't spend a fortune chasing your YOB guitar. It's not that important. Been there done that and sold it!
    As above. And my birth year was 1955...

An R8 would be a good shout, should get a nice used for for around or under £2k. Go for a 2013 or 2014 model if you can, IMHO.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114

ok as an owner of 3 Les Pauls, here are my 2 thoughts:

1) If you go for a Gibson, get the one you dreamed of first. If you don't you'll only end up buying it in the long run (that's why I have 3).

2) If you go for a Feline, you won't care for Gibsons any more. Tremendous guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    If you  have a particular spec in mind, then why not make it for yourself? There's nothing quite like playing a good guitar that you've made.

I've posted this photo of my second build on one of Mark Bailey's Build Your Own Courses before, but it sounds as good as it looks.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 394
    Simple, buy a guitar that is forty years old when you are 21, make it a Gibson Les Paul, and buy it now so you get another six months fun.

Oh, actually there is always my 1976 les paul deluxe i'm selling ;)
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Iamnobody said:
    IMO and experience I wouldn't spend a fortune chasing your YOB guitar. It's not that important. Been there done that and sold it!
    As above. And my birth year was 1955...

An R8 would be a good shout, should get a nice used for for around or under £2k. Go for a 2013 or 2014 model if you can, IMHO.
    I too would ditch the yob idea. It's a 'special' birthday so get the best guitar you can for the budget and it becomes a keeper for 2 reasons. Get a poor or average 95 guitar and you will move it on sooner or later.

£1800 ish gets you a sh R8 but not 13/14- these tend to go for a wee bit more but you WILL love it if you get one
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Never understood the year of birth thing myself. 

Les Paul Customs are cool as, though. Problem is I'm put off getting one in case someone mistake me for a Manic's fan. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11637
    edited August 2015 tFB Trader
    One of our forum guys owns the red one (and another slimline one)  

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Damn that red one looks lovely, even more so with the black hardware.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    If you  have a particular spec in mind, then why not make it for yourself? There's nothing quite like playing a good guitar that you've made.

I've posted this photo of my second build on one of Mark Bailey's Build Your Own Courses before, but it sounds as good as it looks.

Wow! I'm doing Mark's online course at present and if I ever make something half as good looking as that I'll be very pleased.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    be thankful you weren't born in 1978, with the boat anchor, minefield Les Pauls! 

or 1959...that can get pricey

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Build something..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    One of our forum guys owns the red one (and another slimline one)  

Yes I do. @bucket you're welcome to try both if you want to be convinced just how good they are.