Les Paul questions

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited August 2015 in Guitar
Ok... it's my 21st birthday in April and I've been thinking for a while that I'd like a properly special guitar to mark the occasion. I've suggested the idea to my parents and offered to put money towards it myself, and they haven't laughed, had a go at me or told me to fuck off, so I hope it might actually happen...

There's a Tele-shaped hole in my collection at the minute, but what I think I really want is a Les Paul. And because of the big-birthday thing, I think I want it to be one from 1995 (the year I was born).

I should also explain that aesthetically, my favourite LP (my favourite guitar full stop) is the black Custom. I do know, however, that they're very expensive, I always seem to find the binding on the back of the body uncomfortable, and they always weigh a ton. But it's still an itch I want to scratch, and I suspect I might not be as happy with any other LP. So a 1995 black Custom is looking like a good option.

But for the sake of opening it up a bit, here are some other ideas I've had.

1) Another model of Les Paul from 1995... obviously. Maybe a Standard, but all the ones I've seen from 1995 have looked a bit nasty - all overly bright cheap-looking sunbursts and shiny pickup covers. I definitely don't want a Studio, I think they're butt-ugly and I want it to be something really special. What else is out there? Open to the idea of an SG or Explorer too...

2) I could just go for something that isn't from 1995, which gives me a much wider pool to choose from. I could go for a more recent R8, perhaps (did they do R8s in 1995 and are they any good?) - or try and track down a decently-priced Standard Faded (lolimpossible), or the gorgeous 2007 limited-edition Classic Custom.

3) I could get something else from 1995. What's good from that year?

4) I could get something else not from 1995... dunno.

Thoughts?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    edited August 2015
    What about a Les Paul Studio from 1995 in black? Seem to be well liked guitars from that era. Not a massive outlay and scratched that itch.

IMO and experience I wouldn't spend a fortune chasing your YOB guitar. It's not that important. Been there done that and sold it!

And the Tele shaped hole could be filled with an AvRi 52 from this year.

Big win there in two guitars - one from your YOB year and one from the year you turned 21.

Target prices:

£550 for the LP

£1200 for the Tele

Cheaper than most R's and Customs.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • danodano Frets: 1609
    Its a great idea. just a thought though, if you decide in a few years time to move it on is there an attachment problem going to happen ?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sorry but I'm allergic to Studios - the lack of binding makes it look horrid IMO.

I quite like that two-guitars idea though :D
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Personally I wouldn't worry about the 95 thing. All your really doing is limiting yourself to an era that Gibson is seen to have been rather hit & miss (iv'e never found that personally btw after owning god knows how many 90's sg's and les pauls throughout the years. mine have all been great!)

For roughly the equivalent price of a 90's custom, currently you could own an r7, maybe at a push an r8. I love customs but I have always found the R7/8/9's (& custom shop customs) to be a good step up all round. 

that's where my money would be going right now. 

just my two penneth :) 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    edited August 2015
    Bucket;756482" said:
    Sorry but I'm allergic to Studios - the lack of binding makes it look horrid IMO.

I quite like that two-guitars idea though :D
    Binding doesn't improve the sound. It's just bling! I really wouldn't plough loads of time and cash into a YOB - there are loads of great guitars out there

That said..

1995 Should put you in a good year for a Patrick Eggle Berlin though.

Lovely UK made instruments.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12019
    If you want to scratch that tele itch AND something from 1995...how about....@nickb_boy 's USA tele?

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    edited August 2015
    Schwwwwwwing for a Black LPC from pretty much anytime. 

However for a 21st? Wow. Some big spending fella. 

:D
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    @Bucket - I've had a couple of mid-90's LP studios - and if you actually play one, you'll be converted.  Ebony fretboard, maple cap - and sounds awesome.

Actually, they're a good basis for refinishing too.  They look great with 'faux' binding - which is essentially scraping away the finish along the maple cap.  Pretty sure there's a thread on here somewhere where someone did that and it looks awesome.

Don't discount the Studios - they're a fantastic guitar for very little money.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    Just rearrange your date of birth - there's a very nice inversion - 1959. Now that year should lead you to some tasty Les Paul specimens.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Forget about the 95 thing. Figure a budget and go hitting up a bunch of shops until you find something you like. Don't over think it IMO!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16037
    edited August 2015
    what you really want is one from the most awesome of years 2002, do some research Bro,. and as it just so happens..........I may know where you can get one ;)
    tae be or not tae be
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2366
    Feline - all the looks that you desire, but your spec and a great neck joint......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Dude... get an Orville. They're fucking amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    Get a PRS. 1995 is the transition year from the old factory to the new, and so a "pre 95" is more valuable to some types of people. The only real differences as far as I can tell are that the older 24-fret ones had a shorter neck heel and the trem models had a one-piece bridge. That means that a '95 with the "wrong" features should be a bargain. The long heel won't bother you if you were after a Les Paul :).

Especially now, all second hand PRSs seem to be something of a bargain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 367
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, Orville by Gibson Custom. Every bit as good tho not sure if the good ones were still made in 95.
    Mid 90s stds are good as are early 90s customs. The ones that look cheap from the mid 90s are the classics.
    The 2005 faded were nice as are the Larry Corsa ones which started based on those but now he makes what are called "replicas".

Were I you, I'd save for a early-mid 80s custom. John Sykes, Doug Aldrich etc.. Loads of rock music played on those although they get flamed being from the Norlin era. 

01-02 R8s are great too but more pricey.

I'd be patient with a Gibson Les Paul or commission a custom build. 
    Keep saving as much as you can until the right one pops up and don't rush to get one. 
    In the meantime, play as many as you can. They look and sound great but the form factor is quite different if you're used to S-style gtrs and if you don't get a good one you immediately start noticing how heavy it is, the different higher fret access feel, the balance, the neck profile with the usually pronounced shoulders regardless of the thickness etc. There will be fundamental differences obviously but the better the gtr overall the less those things will bug you. 

Many people look for historic accuracy and things like accurate bobbin material to 59 specs but there are other things that make LPs fun to play (or not) and not all sound good. 
    @ICBM I don't like PRSs!

I've thought about Japanese ones as well - as well as Orville maybe Burny, Greco, etc etc

I've also wondered about custom stuff - maybe a Carvin now they're a better deal for international buyers, or a Feline if I could afford to...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11686
    tFB Trader
    We are building a black LP Custom version of the Lion Supreme  for stock or anyone that fancies it.

The hardware could be gold, chrome or black
    The pickups can be anything your heart desires
    It has no rear binding  but does have the all access neck 
    It has multiply binding and REAL Mother of pearl inlays and an ebony board

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Christ! I was going to Suede and Oasis concerts whilst you were bawling down the maternity wing. Now I feel old - thanks!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @FelineGuitars oh my god. Any photos?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11686
    tFB Trader
    What would you like to see - previous ones or the work in progress?

This one didn't have the multi-ply binding but was quite a stunner

Here is a trans white one with similar specs

I'll get the new one in front of the camera ASAP

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom