Pinging

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4735
Out of nowhere my Tele has just started to sound very odd on the third fret on the top E string. Rather than ringing it pings. Second fret and fourth are fine, as are all the other strings at the third.
I've checked the nut, the bridge and the string tree and all look normal.
Any thoughts?
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 412
    Does the third fret have some wear on it?  If it does you may find that the fretted E string note is slightly catching the forth fret.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    That's exactly what it sounds like but I can't see any obvious wear. The action is silly low at that point too so it could well be as you describe. Funny though that it just started.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    I reckon that action is too low on the treble side so what do I need to adjust this, and how . It's a three saddle bridge. Presumably the vertical screws control string height and the horizontal ones wind the saddle back and forth.
    I'm in Cornwall so have no tools other than a hammer, some saws and some prehistoric screwdrivers :-)
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 412
    LOL, well aside from hitting it very hard with your hammer, you might try adjusting those 'vertical screws'.  Only  very small amounts at a time, and try the guitar after each adjustment.  Also, look down the neck from the machine head end and the bridge end.  What you're looking for is either a straight neck or a very slight bow (relief).  It may be that the truss rod needs a bit of adjustment, but if this is something that you're not familiar with you might be better to take it to a tech.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Check the string isn't kinked right around or just after the pesky fret in question.
    99% of guitars brought into us with this problem all of a sudden are down to kinked string.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Slacken off the E and B strings enough to loosen the saddle so you can turn the height screw from underneath to raise the saddle slightly.
    Don't use the hammer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom