Where to get a figured top?

What's Hot
I want to get some kind of nice looking top to put on a guitar body. Not too thick but not ultra thin either. Best place to look?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16680
    What are you after?

Figured maple or more exotic?

David Dyke is the safe answer, but also worth asking Prime timbers for fancy maple or walnut.

Don't rely on websites - often best to visit or call.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    WezV said:
    What are you after?

Figured maple or more exotic?

David Dyke is the safe answer, but also worth asking Prime timbers for fancy maple or walnut.

Don't rely on websites - often best to visit or call.
    Thanks. Not sure what I want really, I'm covering all the pickup cavities, and I'm probably going to have a trans finish, so just something 'nice' looking that won't cost an arm and a leg (in case I bugger it up!)
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    edited September 2015
    I bought a cheap (£50ish)  light figured maple cap from http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/ - its OK but will need a bit of work before use.  Unfortunately most of the really nice figured ones do cost an arm and a leg (more than £100) and like you I am not confident I wont bugger it up..

What about using a plain top and a veneer ( I have found sycamore veneer easy to use and pretty - but wenge is a pain, wont be using that again ).

• Another vote for David Dyke.
    something cheap but interesting?

Andy's are sawn - but he uses very good blades & saw.   They take very little clean up to be usable, can be sanded of scraped smooth in minutes

JohnB said:
    I bought a cheap (£50ish)  light figured maple cap from http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/ - its OK but will need a bit of work before use.  Unfortunately most of the really nice figured ones do cost an arm and a leg (more than £100) and like you I am not confident I wont bugger it up..

Might have to visit there at some point - looks quite a lot liek the stuff craft supplies used to supply.   good wood and good choice but it often did need a fair bit of prep
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121

WezV said:

Andy's are sawn - but he uses very good blades & saw.   They take very little clean up to be usable, can be sanded of scraped smooth in minutes

@axisus - if this isn't what you are after, I might go for it - for a hollowbody I am scheming at present
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    axisus said:
    I want to get some kind of nice looking top to put on a guitar body. Not too thick but not ultra thin either. Best place to look?
    Thick enough to carve, or will it be a flat top?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    JohnB said:

WezV said:

@axisus - if this isn't what you are after, I might go for it - for a hollowbody I am scheming at present
    Don't let me stop you, I'm very early in the process right now.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    axisus said:
    Thick enough to carve, or will it be a flat top?
    flat.