Can you get a decent final finish using spray cans?

What's Hot
All of my guitar projects have an aged look because I prefer them that way, but also it seems a lot easier to do. I'm just starting something at the moment that I'd like to have a shiny new look. Is it possible to get a decent finish just using cans of lacquer, or do you need a spray gun of some sort? would it take many cans to achieve?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited September 2015
    Yes! It is possible
     No! You don't need a spray gun 
     Dunno! How much you would need....

It's all about quality of the can contents and your skill in applying them......some areosol (cheap) have more percentage thinners to paint ratio so don't cover well.....

Ive sprayed guitar bodies with Halfods Satin black woth good results also with car paints mixed by car paint supplier, I will not buy cheap shit paint!

No experience with lacquer, but would expect the same to apply....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    edited September 2015
    Its  also a lot to do with prep work

with really good prep you can do one can of primer or sanding sealer, one can of colour and one can of clear on a body.... but more usually its 2 cans of primer/sanding sealer, one colour, 2 clear - allowing enough for fudge room and levelling off.   it adds up quickly

this is the one i just did

i brought some normal sanding sealer and brushed on a few coats first - making sure i could sand back to a level surface before spraying the burst and top coats

the reflections and white spot on the edge tell you its not perfect
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Shellac?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    usedtobe;766529" said:
    Shellac?
    Never sure really. I like a good French polish, and shellac makes a great sealer that plays well with other finishes.

But do you want a finish that will be so easily ruined by water or alcohol?

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited September 2015
    Just a query, tbh. I'm completely in the dark as regards sanding sealer. I googled 'sanding sealer', and a shellac based one, I could buy locally, came up. What would you recommended?

Edit. Suppose it depends on finish? Is there such a thing as a good all-rounder?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Northwest Guitars or Rothko & Frost for Nitrocellulose in rattle-cans and related finishing products...

...and lots of patience!

If I am going for an aged 'road worn' finish I'll empty a can of primer in one go, spraying the coats on as fast as they'll go without running; leave to harden for a good few days then flat back lightly. Repeat process with gloss top coat and voila, instant 40-years-worth of character!

However, a nice shiny finish takes bl**dy forever!

Half a dozen very light coats, leave to harden, flat back, repeat ad infinitum, taking care not to rush a single stage; ultimately very rewarding though... ;;)

Google ReRanch for probably all the guidance you'll ever need.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    You certainly can. Check my blog for examples of the results that I and my customers have achieved.
    In my blog you'll find demos and videos showing techniques etc. and I'm always happy to give advice to customers.

As @WezV says, preparation is everything, all else follows.

Guitars sprayed using my aerosol lacquer are in the window of a certain top-end guitar shop, so if it's good enough for them?

Throwing a can of primer and a can of colour on your guitar will not produce an authentic looking aged finish, but it depends what you are aiming for I suppose. 

@usedtobe I wouldn't recommend a shellac based sealer as they often contain a lot of stearate which can cause adhesion problems with nitrocellulose. Best use a cellulose-based one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5471
    Warm cans, and lots of very light coats with light sanding in between. Leave to cure for a month before doing the final sand and polish. Done.
  • SteveRobinson;767034" said:
    You certainly can. Check my blog for examples of the results that I and my customers have achieved.http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/category/finish/

In my blog you'll find demos and videos showing techniques etc. and I'm always happy to give advice to customers.

As @WezV says, preparation is everything, all else follows.

Guitars sprayed using my aerosol lacquer are in the window of a certain top-end guitar shop, so if it's good enough for them?

Throwing a can of primer and a can of colour on your guitar will not produce an authentic looking aged finish, but it depends what you are aiming for I suppose. 

@usedtobe I wouldn't recommend a shellac based sealer as they often contain a lot of stearate which can cause adhesion problems with nitrocellulose. Best use a cellulose-based one.
    You do realise that, thanks to you, I'm looking at doing yet another project and searching for an affordable pine body from guitarbuild so I can try nitro for the first time?

Bad guitar tech. Bad boy.

Thinking of trying a two tone sunburst strat... To complement my other strat in wudtone fiesta red.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    This one turned out nicely (done by a regular customer)

@DiscoStu I think that sanding between colour coats is a waste of lacquer. I never sand unless a speck of dust gets in the finish.

If you let the base coats of sanding sealer and/or primer harden and sand them flat, all the other coats should go on smoothly meaning that you only need to do minimal flat sanding of a bit of orange peel at the end, if any. Quite often I'll just buff the finish out of the can, e.g. http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2012/12/16/new-build-mary-kaye-stratocaster/ (owned by @Basher) and http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2011/09/10/ice-blue-metallic-telecaster-assembled/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5471
    @SteveRobinson I should have been more specific. I had a few bits of dust to deal with given that I don't have a spray booth.
    tFB Trader
    Ah yes you did say a light sand sorry :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Many thanks @SteveRobinson - I will be using your cans of course!
    tFB Trader
    Thanks - I'm sure I can sort a discount out for a forum member. :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
     Quite often I'll just buff the finish out of the can, e.g. http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2012/12/16/new-build-mary-kaye-stratocaster/ (owned by @Basher) ;
    And a killer Strat it is too!

Sounds and feels fantastic. Currently saving the pennies for a medium-jumbo refret and then I've got "my" strat for life. 

I genuinely feel that Steve was on to something with these deliberately thin/fragile finishes. Mine looks like a custom shop relic, albeit with the dings and scrapes inflicted by me, after a couple of years' relatively light use. 
  • Agree with you @Basher. @SteveRobinson built my Telecaster for me and I specified a very thin satin finish which has aged beautifully. It's lovely work and the guitar is naturally reliced.

• gfsgfs Frets: 10
    edited September 2015
    As @SteveRobinson & @WezV say prepping is everything never take short cuts.
    if this is not done right all your mistakes are gonna show up,
    I recently finished this les paul project using nitro spray ( heritage cherry and amber laquer ) from kevin @ northwestguitars, the finish has come out lovely. i find i do get better results using a proper spray gun rather than using the cans. but thats just me.

tFB Trader
    Here's a Les Paul finished in my aniline cherry lacquer and faded.

Here is how the colour builds with successive coats (bottom right to top left)

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gfsgfs Frets: 10
    @SteveRobinson your making me want to start a new project damn you. That top has a lovely finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Some very good advice above, preparation and patience really pay off. From my own personal perspective it's very easy to want to rush the job to see the finished product but this always leads to frustration and a bad paint job... take it slow and don't ever be tempted to spray a little more just because your last coat has gone on so nicely. Exuberance always leads to runs!

I am about to start spraying another Jazzmaster body and have spent ages sanding it to perfection up to 400 grit (maybe a bit extreme). Best results I have had so far are on a body that was sealed and primed a good three months before i sprayed the colour coats.
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk