Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The most high profile guitarist that you have never heard?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
does that make sense? It occurred to me today that I have never knowingly heard Michael Schenker, and that seemed a bit weird seeing as I have listened to heavy music and classic rock since the 70s. Got anyone that you seem to have never heard that surprises you?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    For a long time it was Nels Cline.
    I kept hearing his name but I somehow missed hearing him.

I eventually got around to it- he's quite good.
  • To the best of my knowledge I've only heard Bonamassa once. And I have never consciously listened to John Mayer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Another one for Michael Schenker here, though I imagine I've heard some of his stuff in passing. 

Never got more than a minute into a Rush song, though I have definitely heard a couple for a minute or so.

Off the top of my head I've never knowingly heard Judas Priest, Megadeath, Porcupine Tree, Alice in Chains either.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I've never heard Bonamassa  , no real reason for it just doesn't interest me in the slightest...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    Another one for Michael Schenker here, though I imagine I've heard some of his stuff in passing. 

Never got more than a minute into a Rush song, though I have definitely heard a couple for a minute or so.

Off the top of my head I've never knowingly heard Judas Priest, Megadeath, Porcupine Tree, Alice in Chains either.

Go and buy 'Fear of a Blank Planet' RIGHT NOW!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    No idea. Probably someone in the smooth blues-rock or technical field though, since I have absolutely no interest in either.

There are a large number I've heard a snippet of and thought I wouldn't bother any more with too, but presumably they don't count.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    I was going to say Jimmy Herring, who I've read about in many guitar magazines over the years but hadn't ever heard.

Then I remembered I watched a YouTube clip featuring him, just a couple of weeks ago.  It was good.

I don't think I've ever heard Tommy Emmanuel.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I'd never heard Philip Sayce until today. Quite like his playing, but don't get on with the amount of reverb he uses.
  • I really can't think of anybody - we have the Internet, there's no one who isn't a couple of clicks away. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Drew Vernon
    Stop crying, start buying
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I can probably find 20 that I have hardly heard....starting with Alex Lifeson and Richard Thompson.
    Just not enough time and anyway I would probably seek out horn players to discover.

• I've never heard John Mayer.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Everyone with a signature PRS guitar, apart from Santana and Bernie Marsden.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Everyone with a signature PRS guitar, apart from Santana and Bernie Marsden.

Ha maybe some of them but this list includes Alex Lifeson, Dave Grissom and Martin Simpson. It also includes Mark Tremonti who unfortunately I have heard but wish I hadn't. But Codie Kilby , Dusty Waring,Mark Holcomb - these are people with sig PRS's who could well be fictional characters for all I know.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Conciously, most of the LA session legends. Although I obviously have heard them, without knowing it.
  • octatonic;768914" said:
    stickyfiddle said:

Another one for Michael Schenker here, though I imagine I've heard some of his stuff in passing. 

Go and buy 'Fear of a Blank Planet' RIGHT NOW!
    What about Deadwing? Or The Incident? Or that EP that fell somewhere in between (the name evades me).

Those were a good few albums. Their earlier material is only good for audio-induced anaesthesia ;)

Oh and doesn't Slash take a solo on Fear of a Blank Planet?
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • I'm going to say Joe Bonamassa... very high profile in guitar mags etc.. and I've seen him do a few endorsement demo videos, but I've never actually heard a record or seen him play.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    cruxiform said:
    I've never heard John Mayer.

I'm going to say Joe Bonamassa... very high profile in guitar mags etc.. and I've seen him do a few endorsement demo videos, but I've never actually heard a record or seen him play.
    The word never (which I accept) deserves a wow. Wow!

• Mark Tremonti. Never heard a note he's played. And if I have, it never registered!
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355

Most of the current ESP, Ibanez, Schecter & PRS SE signature pin up boys.

Their names and faces are everywhere yet, despite a love of heavier rock, I haven't heard a single track by most of them.