Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The most high profile guitarist that you have never heard?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Philly_Q said:
    I was going to say Jimmy Herring, who I've read about in many guitar magazines over the years but hadn't ever heard.

Then I remembered I watched a YouTube clip featuring him, just a couple of weeks ago.  It was good.

I don't think I've ever heard Tommy Emmanuel.

I hadn't seen Tommy Emmanuel until a couple of months ago. Now I spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos thinking 'how the hell?' and 'bastard'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably Johnny Marr. I'm sure I've heard The Smiths when someone else has had the radio on, but I've never sat and listened to his playing.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Loads and loads.  Maybe hundreds. I don't listen to hard rock, prog or metal, which means I haven't knowingly heard maybe half of all big name players.  Guys already mentioned, Mark Tremonti, Randy Rhoads, Michael Shenker.  There are other guys like Lifeson, or Steve Vai or Steve Howe I have heard for a few minutes here and there but barely enough for them to register.  Eddie Van Halen I basically know from Jump and the solo on Beat It. Albert Lee, that virtuoso country thang never appealed.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    Samgb said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I was going to say Jimmy Herring, who I've read about in many guitar magazines over the years but hadn't ever heard.

Then I remembered I watched a YouTube clip featuring him, just a couple of weeks ago.  It was good.

I don't think I've ever heard Tommy Emmanuel.

I hadn't seen Tommy Emmanuel until a couple of months ago. Now I spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos thinking 'how the hell?' and 'bastard'.
    I'll keep on avoiding him then, sounds like one of those people who make you want to pack it all in.

Although it would create some space and save me a lot of money.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    Albert Lee, that virtuoso country thang never appealed.
    I might never have heard Albert Lee, not sure. It doesn't appeal either... I know I don't like any other country virtuosos - except for Chet Atkins, but I've actually (and probably quite wrongly) never really thought of him as a 'country' player in the same way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Albert Lee, that virtuoso country thang never appealed.
    I might never have heard Albert Lee, not sure. It doesn't appeal either... I know I don't like any other country virtuosos - except for Chet Atkins, but I've actually (and probably quite wrongly) never really thought of him as a 'country' player in the same way.
    Albert has played with a lot of people including The Everleys, Bill Wyman, Eric Clapton, Eric Burdon - not at the cool end of the market admittedly. I like him if only for the fact that a bloke from Nottingham wrote one of the best known country songs. I missed him playing my local pub once - apparently basically passing through on tour and decided he'd rather play a pub than spend the night in watching the TV. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    Albert has played with a lot of people including The Everleys, Bill Wyman, Eric Clapton, Eric Burdon
    Ha, my mistake - I checked Wikipedia and he's on Another Ticket, which is a Clapton album I like :). (Although he's also on Money And Cigarettes, which I don't.) So I'd just never *knowingly* heard him… and that's what he sounds like. Ah well. As you were.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein