Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fryette power station

What's Hot
This looks very interesting

An attenuator, Power amp and a reactive load. With post effects loop.

Looks to be well thought out and better and more readily available than the Bad Cat Unleash V2

Currently in stock in the U.K at £499

A great video of it here:
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's absolutely bloody brilliant!!! We've sold a few already and everyone seems to be blown away by them.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited September 2015
    peachguitarsdotcom;769846" said:
    It's absolutely bloody brilliant!!! We've sold a few already and everyone seems to be blown away by them.

I hadn't heard of it but was lookimg at a Bad Cat unleash but their customer relations team were ignorant.

Then I had this in an email promotion.

I've got to say that from the video it looks bloody great.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    edited September 2015
    Ah, Fryette.... Best wait till the users discover the design flaws in version 1 then buy a later version that doesn't break ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll be getting one soon as I shift some gear. Then I'll chase back down my old hiwatts and make people cry. I t.hink this is the game changer in the same way the Helix might.....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strikes me that this might be the mythical mono power amp that people have been asking for. It could be quite interesting to try one with an AMT preamp or two...
    <space for hire>
  • Are poweramps expensive/difficult to design and produce?  I recognise this does more, but I'm not interested in the additional features.

We've got at least one amp builder on here, I wonder if they've ever considered the tube poweramp market.

Is it actually possible to create an 'XYZ poweramp' separate to the amp, like for example a JCM800 power amp in a rack unit, so people who use JCM emulations (pedal or digital) could get a power amp that'd give them a tone close to the real thing but give them the flexibility of whatever way they want their rig to run.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    This does look very good doesn't it. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Are poweramps expensive/difficult to design and produce?  I recognise this does more, but I'm not interested in the additional features.

We've got at least one amp builder on here, I wonder if they've ever considered the tube poweramp market.

Is it actually possible to create an 'XYZ poweramp' separate to the amp, like for example a JCM800 power amp in a rack unit, so people who use JCM emulations (pedal or digital) could get a power amp that'd give them a tone close to the real thing but give them the flexibility of whatever way they want their rig to run.
    I think the only problem is that not many people actually want them.

I've long considered that the only thing that would make me go pedal-only is if I could put together a switcher of some sort for two or three AMT pedals, and somebody could build me a small 50W mono valve power amp using toroidal transformers to keep the weight down. I already know those AMT pedals sound amazing into a valve power amp, so that'd make a great lightweight rig.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I don't quite understand how they've got it so small. Most poweramps I've seen that use tubes are giant hulking things.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    edited September 2015
    Drew_fx said:
    I don't quite understand how they've got it so small. Most poweramps I've seen that use tubes are giant hulking things.
    Did you ever see the R&R SOLO I had? That was a full 50W amp (including the preamp) in a 1U chassis, using 6L6s. The problem ain't the valves (you just mount them flat instead of upright), it's the transformers.
    <space for hire>
  • Yeah but that is where the bespoke angle could work - assuming it isn't difficult to offer as a product.  That way they're being made to order rather than sitting on a shop shelf until someone fancies it.

I'm not really aware of how much labour cost saving can be made by making a poweramp only, vs a full amp inclusive of preamp section.  So I have no idea if it is financially viable either.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Did you ever see the R&R SOLO I had? That was a full 50W amp (including the preamp) in a 1U chassis, using 6L6s. The problem ain't the valves (you just mount them flat instead of upright), it's the transformers.

What did you think of it?

They do a 50 watt poweramp for $500.

1 - Channel tube power amplifier (mono, 20/50 Watt), Class A/B Power / 2x6L6, 2x12AX7
    Bias Select Switch (6L6/EL34)
    Fixed Bias
    Independent Volume & Presence Controls per Channel
    Fan Cooled
     4; 8; 16.
    Weight: 7kg
  • I have one of these Fryettes in a heartbeat if it was rack mountable.  

Mono power amps are pretty non existent - and one that works well with modelers - and it this cheap (relative I know, but around half the price of the cheapest stereo PA - the Engl).

However, Im not taken with having a separate "block" to carry and cable at every gig.  One reason for rack mount stuff it to avoid that.
  • @paulmapp8306

There is a rackmount kit (currently out of stock) $49

toroidal transformers
    Ah yes. Now I think I understand.
  • We have the rack kits in stock as well
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seriously tempted now!
    I am semi-tempted too, but I have no idea why. lol. It just looks coooooool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Saw that and thought 'wish it was valve' just seen it is! On the want list :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I plugged a 5 watt Suhr Corso into it and it sounded amazing. It turns a small home/recording amp into a beast! Plus you now have a totally transparent fx loop. So you can run the amp as dirty as you want, plus still clean delays etc