Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fryette power station

What's Hot

Comments

• @paulmapp8306

There is a rackmount kit (currently out of stock) $49

How many U is that?  looks a funny size.  From the measurements on the spc sheet, the unit itself is approx 1.5U -but the holes on those blanks look too far from the edge to be a 2U rack - its almost like a 2.5U

My rack is REALLY tight at the moment - I only really have 1U spare for a power amp (currently taken up by the Matrix) - even with my G90 relay rear mounted  Any moe and i'd need a new rack as well.  Not out of the question but Id need to know how many total rack spaces I'd need.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Could gig my SL-5 with this.

Shame I already paid for an fx loop mod in the amp
  • definitely 2U, just compared it to our resident AXE FX
  • This and a helix.

Boom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi, first post.

I have one of those Fryette Power Station devices.
    It is absolutely brilliant.
    I use mine in different ways:
    1) attenuate a class A 18W amp to bedroom levels
    2) add an fx loop to my amp
    3) record a valve amp quietly (and add IR's through software for sonic fun)
    4) amplify baby amps
    5) power modellers through it in a band

One of the most useful pieces of gear I've ever bought. I have a 2/50/2 so trusted it would be quality, had it checked out by a tech, it is great engineering, and it sounds great to me.
    Honestly, great company for support too. Love it.

I'm in the Midlands, if you wanted to try it, or anyone else, you are most welcome to bring your amp(s) and guitar(s) before you decide if you like it. I think you would if you're considering it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    This is the Front Panel of the GPDI 8-27-2014

I want one of these things. Probably great for recording.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras;771030" said:
    I want one of these things.
    So do all the people who've already paid for one via the Kickstarter scheme. :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    martinw said:
    Sassafras;771030" said:
    I want one of these things.

Oh, has there been a scandal regarding these?
    I thought Fryette was one of the good guys.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited September 2015
    Sassafras;771315" said:
    martinw said:

Sassafras;771030" said:I want one of these things.

Oh, has there been a scandal regarding these?I thought Fryette was one of the good guys.
    Yes the valvulator scandal.

70k in pledges taken and no updates for over 4 months now, breaking kickstart rules.

They have since ignored all messages on the subject on forums and on their FB page.

A lot of really pissed off people who have given them money
    edited September 2015 tFB Trader
    Some Interesting reading here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9179415/fryette-valvulator-gp-di-tube-guitar-recording-amp/comments

dirtyfunkg said:

662 - Days since this project was funded
    516 - Days since the original Estimated Delivery
    181 - Days since the last update from Fryette (6 months!)
    116 - Days since Dave Phelge (support@fryette.com) told another backer "An update is supposed to be coming this week."
    95 - Days since the Fryette Facebook post regarding "GP/DI update that's coming..."
    66 - Days since Steve Fryette told another backer that an update was "coming up"

• @martinw do you ever get requests for poweramps?  

And as a follow on would 'inspired by' types - e.g. Marshall, Fender, Mesa etc make a noticeable difference?

Also I see the Fryette has multiple voicing switches and resonance and presence knobs which seem a good idea, are they complex to integrate/detrimental to the tone if they didn't exist in the original circuit?
    tFB Trader
    @martinw do you ever get requests for poweramps?  

Only 10W ones so far, which I've built for @FelineGuitars amongst others. I've had other enquiries, and I'm quite happy to build them, either in 'traditional' or 'rack' style, but no-one's pulled the trigger yet.
    I do have ongoing discussions with @StormshadowGuitars every now and then about a power amp. Watch this space!

And as a follow on would 'inspired by' types - e.g. Marshall, Fender, Mesa etc make a noticeable difference?

Not so's you notice, assuming you didn't specify anything to wacky. Depends how hard you push the power amp too, and what with.

Also I see the Fryette has multiple voicing switches and resonance and presence knobs which seem a good idea, are they complex to integrate/detrimental to the tone if they didn't exist in the original circuit?
    No, easy enough and if done right should have zero impact on the sound in at least one configuration.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I think there's definitely a market for a small light valve power amp, I'm currently using a AMT SS11a into the power amp of a jCA22H, would love that in a smaller box for most of my gigs.
  • Tried one of these yesterday with my dr z remedy. It was absolutely amazing. I was going to sell the remedy as it was too loud at home but this allowed me to drive the amp and retain my hearing. Definitely buying one
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited January 2016
    They do look great. I've used a hand built loadbox myself, line level converter and a 60 quid HH mosfet power amp to achieve the same effect, so I'm not sure what else these bring sonically.
    My concern with them was the colouring of the tone with the low power output and 6l6 valves.  
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    edited February 2016
    Brilliant thing.

Used one when trying a Buxom Betty at peach.  Worked Soooooo well.  The power state stays flat and clean all the way up - just  like a good valve Hi-Hi Amp would.

So impressed I went back to try it with my AFX rig as a pure Flat response power amp.  Bugger me.  Brought the authority and Clunk back to the lows, and the transparency/seperation back to the low mids and thunk back that was missing with the Matrix.  Top end is pretty identical. Its better than my old 2/50/2 as its lighter, mono (which is all I need) and flat.  The 2/50/2 was fairly neutral for a valve power amp - but not as flat as this and was much heavier (which is why it went in the first place)

Im in love all over again. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Wait so I could use this to tame my Shiva and Pink Taco to bedroom volumes AND make
    My Taco higher powered at gigs? What is this witchcraft.
  • Adamski said:
    Wait so I could use this to tame my Shiva and Pink Taco to bedroom volumes AND make
    My Taco higher powered at gigs? What is this witchcraft.
    Yes!
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    edited February 2016
    It's a reactive load for the first stage the same as the suhr attenuator. This stage has two toggles. One for high freq and one for low offering flat response, then two stages of bright or depth.

However, where other attenuators or loads pass the attenuated signal to you'r speaker, the Fryette sends it to a flat response, clean (like a hifi) 5ow valve power stage, which has its own presence and depth rotory knobs (noon is flat).

This means you can have a 100w beast tamed to bedroom levels, or a 5w amp that can't keep up at gig levels boosted to that level.

You can use the line in as a pure mono power amp for pre amps, modellers, ipods, or even record decks. Add to that a really neutral fx loop, so you can add that loop to an amp without one such as the frieman buxom betty.

All this for £500. OK it's far eastern built but QC seems great as I haven't really been able to tell The difference between this and the us built 2/50/2 power amp I owned. Time will tell of course. But I couldn't be happier at present.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ooh, now then. Been looking at Two Notes Reload/Live but this throws up another option. Anyone compared them?