Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thomann again - sending out used goods as new. Second time it has happened to me!

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    edited September 2015
    Dave_Mc said:
    That sucks. I've had one or two instances of them sending me out questionable quality stuff, too.
    Personally, I'm not going back to Thomann after the Neo saga.
    What's the Neo saga?

It was trilogy of films in the early 2000s featuring a cyberpunk story incorporating references to numerous philosophical and religious ideas where the heroes fight a desperate war against machine overlords who have enslaved humanity in an extremely sophisticated virtual reality gestalt
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think those parts look ok. Not worth the hassle of a return in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited September 2015
    I think those parts look ok. Not worth the hassle of a return in my opinion.

I think it is.

They've been returned for some reason, Thomann clearly can't tell me why, and are only willing to give me €25 to test them for myself - a s/h set of these would be more than €25 less, and I'd rather not gamble my evening away for €25.

Things can look ok and have faults - I've experienced this multiple times, including with EMG stuff.  

I had to return a faulty EMG solderless 3 way switch earlier this year (not to Thomann) that looked normal, and then had to go for a soldered switch anyway after I'd trouble shooted all pickups, pots, and wires - entire evening wasted.

From experience stuff goes wrong, it happens, but when it does it is my time that gets wasted.  The fact they sent me this as 'new' doesn't give me enough faith to potentially waste my time.  Thomann sent me used goods as new, again.  They're at fault here so they can sort it out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited September 2015
    You should go ahead then if you are uncomfortable, after all It's their mistake. However, having and using a multimeter in cases like this can save lots of hassle, you could check just the resistance readings on the parts (like the switch quoted).
    If solderless then plug the whole shebang in on the table, take a reading off a guitar cable on the output jack and then switch pickups & twist pots to see if it works. After all, you could get a brand new part that is as likely to be faulty lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldnt - why should you waste your time, just send it back
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    They are not the only dealer who has been repeatedly caught doing this. One of the UK sellers seems to be quite well-known for it as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10505
    tFB Trader
    I got a second hand Digitech Jam Man sent to me, with no instructions last year. Put it down to experience ... it was cheap anyway.
    The wrong bass sent this year, and two other guitars with the worst setups I've ever seen.
    They are what they are ... you take a risk.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    I had a B-stock Kemper off of Thomann last year.

Cosmetically it was spotless, but it had almost all of the profiles deleted off it.  There was a way to reset it to factory settings and restore all the factory profiles though.

They were about £30 cheaper than anyone else on the FCB 1010 foot controller as well.

In general, I'd rather buy from the UK.  I missed out an a B stock one at Andertons while I checked with Kemper that I would still get a full warranty, so I pounced on the B Stock one at Thomann when it came up.

While I'd rather buy from the UK, I refuse to buy from Digital Village though.
  • DV are now German owned
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    DV are now German owned
    It's the circumstances of how they became German owned and what they did to their staff and suppliers which is why I won't buy from them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ICBM said:
    They are not the only dealer who has been repeatedly caught doing this. One of the UK sellers seems to be quite well-known for it as well.
    Which one J?
  • TheGuitarWeasel;773196" said:
    I got a second hand Digitech Jam Man sent to me, with no instructions last year. Put it down to experience ... it was cheap anyway.The wrong bass sent this year, and two other guitars with the worst setups I've ever seen.They are what they are ... you take a risk.
    Buying a new item shouldn't be a risk though. Yes some stuff gets missed at manufacturer QC, and the couriers can damage items so there is never no risk...

But Thomann should not be taking in returns, not checking them, then listing for sale again as new.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Drew_fx said:
    ICBM said:
    Which one J?
    Starts with G and G.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I had murder with them after ordering a HB Tele and a 2x12 cab earlier in the year - long and short of it is that I ended up getting a refund as I was royally pissed about.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited September 2015
    Gizmo said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yeah.

It also makes you wonder what condition the B-Stock stuff is in if that doesn't qualify.
    I had a B-stock Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare - Z Glide a while ago,it went stright back...you can see the pics and info on it HERE
    Wow, that's crazy. I must have missed that thread somehow.
    Dave_Mc said:
    That sucks. I've had one or two instances of them sending me out questionable quality stuff, too.
    Personally, I'm not going back to Thomann after the Neo saga.
    What's the Neo saga?

It was trilogy of films in the early 2000s featuring a cyberpunk story incorporating references to numerous philosophical and religious ideas where the heroes fight a desperate war against machine overlords who have enslaved humanity in an extremely sophisticated virtual reality gestalt
    LOL
    TheGuitarWeasel;773196" said:
    I got a second hand Digitech Jam Man sent to me, with no instructions last year. Put it down to experience ... it was cheap anyway.The wrong bass sent this year, and two other guitars with the worst setups I've ever seen.They are what they are ... you take a risk.
    Buying a new item shouldn't be a risk though. Yes some stuff gets missed at manufacturer QC, and the couriers can damage items so there is never no risk...

But Thomann should not be taking in returns, not checking them, then listing for sale again as new.
    Agreed.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3626
    Sorry to hear that OP.

I've never ordered from them so far but always thought, best prices, ruthlessly efficient German service - seems that is not always correct.
  • ICBM said:
    Drew_fx said:
    ICBM said:
    Which one J?
    Starts with G and G.
    In fairness to them though, after the absolutely shocking setup they did on my mate's Marr Jaguar I am willing to believe they might struggle to spot faults or except them as the norm.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Angela Merkel makes sure ze British get all the shite stock.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a terrible experience with Thomann earlier this year :(( Order a MIM tele which arrived with a damaged headstock, the box had already been opened (and re-stapled) and the Allen keys robbed from the sealed bag.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Long story short - They wanted photos of the outer box before they would except it back, they then went on to say the box was clearly damaged (it wasn’t) and they refused to take it back unless I went to the post office and got two forms signed stating they were fully responsible for the damage  (one of the forms was in German as well). Had to get the credit card company involved in the end.

Its also worth noting that the £ prices shown on the site are at a very optimistic rate and you will likely be strung with a 3.5% charge from your card provider or paypal for a foreign currency transaction which could wipe out a good chunk of any saving.

• I think this is awful, but can't help but wonder if it's a part of the distance selling regs and people taking the piss.

Someone I know bought a strymon blue sky a couple of years back, tested it for a few days, decided it wasn't for him and sent it back to try another pedal. If the shop has to list that as a b- stock, does it mean they've lost out on profit? If so, is it a meaningful amount?