Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

fed up with my band

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I know I've said it before but just find another band, it's not going to get better and it's not worth the hassle of playing with the wrong people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10416

I would just hang in there, have some beers, have a laugh, don't take is so seriously. Better things will come along but don't cut your nose off to spite your face as they say
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    thomasross20 said:

Totally weird... she's already in to do sound (and to be honest I'd rather pay somebody over the odds who knows what they're doing). Now piggy-backing onto the rest of us to fill in the slots... It's not right.
    It would be fine if she was doing a solo slot. It's having the rest of the band there when they're meant to be on a break which isn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Having been fed up with a band, given up and then got more fed up because nothing else worked for ages I'd suggest to Thomas to be a bit more relaxed about it and use this band to get connections and as a shop window for his playing. Being in a band makes you more attractive to other musicians. Bit like how being married for 20 years makes me irresistible to women. Then you can run off with the 25 year old secretary at work and...err, I mean get another band up and running and dump your current bunch of twits. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm with @EricTheWeary on this one, it's easier to get a job from a job.  All things being equal, who would you hire - the man who's in a band who's gigging an d used to it, or the guy off the street who has to get up to gig speed.?
  • As it happens I'm out tonight and just found a singer who is keen to try out for a separate project...
  • Going to stick it until I get something else
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:

Maybe you could find a guy who's happy to dep for your most unavailable band member, that might free up the calander a bit. I have a guy who deps for me in one band and it works out ok, means the band can gig even if I'm not available 

This. We use a rotating stable of deps. The only people that can't be depped are me and the Lead singer (I don't know why I can't be depped but the singer won't have it)
    The downside is keeping everyone up to date with arrangement changes and new songs and its harder for me as I have to change what I'm playing depending on who is depping but it works

• update, done two auditions.  one i would of joined but they went for someon else, the other i was asked to join but declined, . im optimistic though, will carry on looking while still playing more and more infrequently with my present lot.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Take it from someone that's been around a while. Don't crap on people in your area because they might have an indirect influence on your future contacts. Word of mouth is big in this business and having someone put in a good word or at least not put in a bad word for you is worth it's weight in gold. Let them do it their way but in due course politely bow out and take your gig getting skills with you.
  • ESBlonde said:
    Take it from someone that's been around a while. Don't crap on people in your area because they might have an indirect influence on your future contacts. Word of mouth is big in this business and having someone put in a good word or at least not put in a bad word for you is worth it's weight in gold. Let them do it their way but in due course politely bow out and take your gig getting skills with you.
    yes, its exactly what im doing. Im on good terms with my current band, wont let them down and will honor booked gigs but ive got to move on
  • Wise words, thanks!
    I enjoy the band but look forward to something else too. Maybe I'll have two on the go!
  • Lol... when I had my band tiff I applied for a few others. One lot just got back to me saying that due to the volume of applicants (26) they've had to be selective as to who to get in and try out and I never made the list - so now I'm really keen to know who these others were! Always a bit gutting to hear that!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2015
    Just got some feedback:
    - they were looking for a mainly rhythm guitarist and from the videos I sent and the way I worded my message, there was no hint of strong rhythmic capabilities, I'm more suited to lead,  and they didn't have time to ask about the rhythm side of things in my playing. Oh well - at least I got some feedback. :)
  • thomasross20;800636" said:
    Just got some feedback:- they were looking for a mainly rhythm guitarist and from the videos I sent and the way I worded my message, there was no hint of strong rhythmic capabilities, I'm more suited to lead,  and they didn't have time to ask about the rhythm side of things in my playing. Oh well - at least I got some feedback. :)
    And helpful feedback at that, now you can add some rhythm stuff to your video selection if that's what you're into and Boom! Knee deep in band offers.

Such is my understanding of these things.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Just got some feedback:
    - they were looking for a mainly rhythm guitarist and from the videos I sent and the way I worded my message, there was no hint of strong rhythmic capabilities, I'm more suited to lead,  and they didn't have time to ask about the rhythm side of things in my playing. Oh well - at least I got some feedback. :)
    Their loss -  from the videos I've seen you're playing is very good and if they see you shredding and decide you might not be a good rhythm player then they have made a mistake and should have asked you.    
    I wouldn't beat yourself up over it,  that's the kind of line I use when I want to let someone down and it's more likely the guy they chose has something else to offer - a van, a pa or is mates with someone in the band.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    John_P said:
    I wouldn't beat yourself up over it,  that's the kind of line I use when I want to let someone down and it's more likely the guy they chose has something else to offer - a van, a pa or is mates with someone in the band.

The first proper band I got into, it was a straight choice between me and another guitarist. He was much better than me. I had a car and a PA… and he had neither.

It's also quite possible to be 'too good' for a band, if they're looking for a particular type of player, either for the style of the music or not to clash with/give the other guitarist an inferiority complex. Mick Taylor and the Stones springs to mind.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• i went for an audition once , i knew about  75% of their stuff. they didnt know that though, they just asked me to play songs with them and it so happened that all they asked me , i could play along (quite well i thought) so in effect , could play 100% of their set.. the drummer even said to me quietly outside that id get the job as i was the only one who auditioned who knew all the stuff asked.  2 days later i got an email saying sorry, theve gone with someone else because they knew all their songs ?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    ICBM said

It's also quite possible to be 'too good' for a band, if they're looking for a particular type of player, either for the style of the music or not to clash with/give the other guitarist an inferiority complex. 
    Finally, an explanation for why I failed those auditions... 8-X
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Finally, an explanation for why I failed those auditions... 8-X
    On the contrary, several bands failed your auditions of them
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom