Atomic Amplifire - in stock

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    So how good is the modelling on this thing?

Can it take pedals into the front?

The feature set on this is near enough perfect for me and unlike most effects units it has proper MIDI. 

It also rather usefully able to output cab emulated and non emulated tones at the same time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, of course it's all subjective, but I don't think you'll get as good modelling until you hit the Axe/Kemper range.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of those more expensive units, but the modelling is top notch.

In terms of pedals, it can take them in the front and in the fx loop.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    Well, of course it's all subjective, but I don't think you'll get as good modelling until you hit the Axe/Kemper range.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of those more expensive units, but the modelling is top notch.

In terms of pedals, it can take them in the front and in the fx loop.
    And do drive pedals into the amp sims sound like drive pedals, or do they sound like fizzy balls?
  • I can only speak for the one overdrive pedal I have - OD11 - it sounds great, not fizzy, just great overdriven tones.  I'm not a high gain player so most of my tones are more crunch than anything.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    As far as showing all of the features the Andertons demo was great. I'm tempted
  • The Andertons vid did actually show ease of use and such.  I'm not sure on Andertons return policy but if you buy from the Atomic site you get 15 days to decide whether you like it or not.
  • I have just ordered one too. I am a very basic guitar palyer usually guitar to amp and a mic. So as I do not generally mess around with loads of sounds and effects it appears to be a good starting point for my experimentation into...duh duh duh...new tech.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It takes pedals really well. I use it in the rehearsal studio into the FX return of the horrible fizzy JCM800 they have in there. I find the amp models aren't nice at volume...maybe some tweaking required
  • Cabicular said:
    It takes pedals really well. I use it in the rehearsal studio into the FX return of the horrible fizzy JCM800 they have in there. I find the amp models aren't nice at volume...maybe some tweaking required
    To get it sounding great at high volume, you have to create the patches at the volume you intend to use it.  Also make sure that there is no internal clipping with the Amplifire, it will show on the units display if it's clipping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Have a Wisdom
    Needs a lot more mid range and less top when cranked up I just struggle to set it up with my band mates rolling their eyes
    But as a straight pedal platform it's pretty killer
  • You'll have to start turning up early to experiment  :)

I think the unit is great for what it does. I like that it has a decent number of options for shaping the tone yet not so much that I spend all my time fiddling with it rather than actually playing. The amp tones are better than anything else near it's price range though the effects aren't stellar by any means, but I guess it's possible they could be improved with firmware updates and even more added, who knows?
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Bit of a thread revival but wondering if you guys still own one and how you getting on with it?  

You using it in the loop of your amp or have you hooked it up to the computer and tried it with monitor speakers at all?  

I quite like the look of this and I have an amp that has a loop but still a little bit hesitant.

Cheers!
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited July 2016
    Am also interested to hear the thoughts of those who have one and have the latest update (think it's v3). Would like to know how well it takes pedals infront of it if anyone has tried that? What's the Dumble setting like?
    It sounds great It doesn't have enough footswitches or a big enough screen so live it's an arseache Editing it is also a pain in the nethers (apart from the main eq and gain etc ) The new update lets you put together chains of FX rather than the previous 3 fixed However see above The new boogie amps are quite boogie esque Although I have a real MK IV and I can't stand it The dumbles are nice mid focused amp. I've not played a real one so I couldn't comment on it for accuracy
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    I want to preface this by stating that the type of sounds I like are heavy crunch or cleaner sounds rather than anything that is very high gain.

So, I've got mine and use it all the time for home recording and general jamming.  I use it mostly going direct to the PC but I also have an Alto TS110A PA speaker that I hook it up to for some general jamming.  It's not something I'd use through an amp unless it was going through the loop, but even then, I don't think you'll get the best out of it.

In terms of 3.0, the best thing about it in my opinion are the new switching features.  I'm not a fan of the Mark IV in general so the modelled version doesn't really do it for me.  The Dumble again, isn't my cup of tea so I can't really comment too much on that.  My favourite amps are the Cornford, the Marshalls and the Vox AC30.  I don't really use the others much at all.

Regarding pedals, I find some amp models take them better than others.  I don't find the editing much of an issue at all by the way.  I think it's extremely easy to get great sounds out of the unit, particularly when compared to other units available.