Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Let's Talk About Post Rock

What's Hot

OK straight up - no pigeon hole of music divides me more than that of 'Post Rock'.  At one end of the scale you have Godspeed, Dirty Three, Explosion In The Sky, Silver Mt Zion, Mogwai, Sigur Ros etc. who makes me want to make music.  At the other end of the scale you have the 4000 rich kid Strymon-powered bands that would provide me with a bright side to Putin nuking London.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very good point.  I find myself in a remarkably similar position.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    I thought you meant this :

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Beyond a certain point, genre and trend-following are irrelevant. You've either got good songs or you don't. I tend to judge whatever I find on that basis.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OK straight up - no pigeon hole of music divides me more than that of 'Post Rock'.  At one end of the scale you have Godspeed, Dirty Three, Explosion In The Sky, Silver Mt Zion, Mogwai, Sigur Ros etc. who makes me want to make music.  At the other end of the scale you have the 4000 rich kid Strymon-powered bands that would provide me with a bright side to Putin nuking London.

Why does music need the "pigeon hole", surely it restricts creativity.

Hopefully younger music listeners are less prone to the music "pigeon hole" syndrome.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Oooo, I appear to own some "Post Rock" CDs without actually knowing it.

Not as old and behind the times as I'd thought.
  • I didn't 'pigeon hole' these bands - they did.  Although I disagree with pigeon holes it does make it easier than agreeing to go with a mate to see a new band and not knowing whether having a clue whether is going to be the new Black Lace or the new Slayer.

How is it age related?  Go onto soundcloud and check out young bands and you'll notice they pigeon hole themselves - it helps the search engine.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I get really bored of most plinky-plonky post rock.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Drew_fx said:
    is that an actual genre?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• frankus said:
    Drew_fx said:
    is that an actual genre?
    I think it's like the soundtrack they use for In The Night Garden.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best new band in Britain.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Isis are cool.
  • Best new band in Britain.

You fingk so?
  • I didn't 'pigeon hole' these bands - they did.  Although I disagree with pigeon holes it does make it easier than agreeing to go with a mate to see a new band and not knowing whether having a clue whether is going to be the new Black Lace or the new Slayer.

How is it age related?  Go onto soundcloud and check out young bands and you'll notice they pigeon hole themselves - it helps the search engine.

Ok, sorry, I get it now, this Pigeon Holing and Genre labelling makes it easy to sell stuff, but unfortunately it's restricting musical creativity. So, a double edge sword perhaps.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GuyBoden said:

I didn't 'pigeon hole' these bands - they did.  Although I disagree with pigeon holes it does make it easier than agreeing to go with a mate to see a new band and not knowing whether having a clue whether is going to be the new Black Lace or the new Slayer.

Ok, sorry, I get it now, this Pigeon Holing and Genre labelling makes it easy to sell stuff, but unfortunately it's restricting musical creativity. So, a double edge sword perhaps.

Actually I don't think it does really.  People limit their creativity by trying to emulate rather than innovate and in turn actually pigeon hole themselves.

I used to run a record store and insisted on of ditching genre sections thinking it was illogical.  Sadly it was an utter disaster.  It' amazing how much time you can spend debating where cross-over artists should be stocked and most record companies set strict instructions as they believe certain genre labels to be cooler than others. 

None of this is really relevant to what I originally posted though.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038

OK straight up - no pigeon hole of music divides me more than that of 'Post Rock'.  At one end of the scale you have Godspeed, Dirty Three, Explosion In The Sky, Silver Mt Zion, Mogwai, Sigur Ros etc. who makes me want to make music.  At the other end of the scale you have the 4000 rich kid Strymon-powered bands that would provide me with a bright side to Putin nuking London.

At the moment, mostly thanks to Spotify, I'm wallowing in Post Rock (got about 11 hours worth in a favourites playlist which is getting a lot of play) and while I couldn't tell you who the hell I'm listening to half the time I can easily tell what's I like and what I don't.  Where I see what you mean is that for me a lot of this music sounds "the same" so how come I love some pieces so much yet dismiss something else which doesn't sound too different?  It's like I can't quite explain what's good and bad but I'm able to know it. 

But with other genres I could tell you exactly why I think one track is good and another is pants.  I can't do that with post-rock.
  • @Grunfeld - That is more or less it completely.  It literally extend from some reminding me what's great about music and others that just make me angry.  It's very, very hard to define what or why.  I do think a large amount of it could be a biasedness against the amount of hipster bands in London who are just noise and reverb on repeat.  No other genre evokes suggest extremes in me though. 

John Murphy's In The House In A Heartbeat and Godspeed You Black Emperor's Dead Flag Blues are two tracks that can make me love music all over again if I've had enough.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited September 2015
    I like the Bark Psychosis album Hex but not keen on other post-rock stuff.  

I did see a post-rock band live in Belfast called And So I Watch You From Afar a few years back and enjoyed them live.   I think this ispost-rock anyway...?

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I personally can't wait for post-everything.

It all kinda reminds me of that LCD Soundsystem song Losing My Edge. 

However, I guess other than my love of grunge, I'm such a stereotypical post rock fan "I loved Mogwai back in '97 don't you know? Ra ra ra, yadda yadda yadda, fucking AMAZING xylophone man!". Even the Strymon shit all over my toes.

Although, I do bloody hate Explosions In The Sky.

• I know I'm going to show myself up here, but I've got some Post Rock (Kid A by Radiohead) and Post Metal, and it seems to be the kinda the same thing.  Although the post metal is less experimental more Deizel and less Fender Twin.