Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Let's Talk About Post Rock

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I don't think this band is going to work out Tommy. I'm out.

http://www.urbanelement.com/Bannatyne1.jpeg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • :D Lol, I love those pic replies :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep posting more post-rock stuff you think I might like, though! I'll always check it out :)
    FWIW I find shred guitar generally pretty lame.... like spandex left out in the sun too long. Guthrie? Greg Howe? 80's hair metal bollocks? Give me a break.

I'd rather listen to two chords for 8 minutes played proficiently, than listen to 8 million notes in 3 three minutes played exceptionally. I just don't find guitar as an instrument all that interesting, believe it or not. I'm not interested in hearing someone go up and down scales, modulating from G to F to B in the space of 4 bars, and generally just sounding like an autistic set of pots and pans falling down some stairs. It just doesn't interest me and makes me feel nothing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2015
    Keep posting more post-rock stuff you think I might like, though! I'll always check it out :)
    Try post-metal... it kinda bridges the gap between post-rock and metal.

The long and short of it though... if you don't like singular notes sustained for a long time, and melodies that generally stay within a single key, and emphasis put more on the "sound" of things rather than the "performance" of things... you're not going to like any of this stuff.

Also, I'd say that being able to play a billion notes if you wanted, but instead exercising some restraint - far more impressive to me.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm still mentally scarred from listening to Russian Circles (who seem to get described as Post Rock) years ago. 

I absolutely lurve Russian Circles. 

I don't think it's a challenge for the artist in terms of technique or musicality.
    Everyone's level of challenge is different I guess. I find writing a chord passage or riff that inspires me musically just as challenging as playing a diminished swept arpeggio.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • :D That's where we differ, my man - and that's cool, because it'd be a boring place if we were all the same. 

I love all that stuff! Spandex left out too long in the sun - lol! :D 
    Two chords for 8 minutes would bore the pants off me - if it isn't instant and interesting I'm out. I think Queen got the balance perfect. Can't say I'm into guitarists going up and down scales but all music is just a bunch of notes and the more I listen the more I appreciate the more technical stuff - it's not just up and down scales but the stuff that is like that - ugh, I agree!! I'd rather have the music than the technicality but that's where I also think post-rock falls - it isn't technical or musical enough for me, or rather the music is a bit dreary for me. I have some Porcupine Tree albums and they make me want to kill myself lol (actually some tracks are ok). Take Lyndsey Buckingham - he's a good player but not the most technical but BOY does his music sound AMAZING!! I'd also rather I had vox on my own stuff (MUCH prefer having vox) but that wasn't going to happen.

It's just musical differences.
  • Drew I think you're focussing on the negatives of shred whilst missing the huge positives that it saves you have to develop a progressive melody.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.

Aye totally, and as I said in my first contribution to this thread, most post-rock bores me. I'm pretty selective about what post-rock I will listen to.

Try this:

• "The long and short of it though... if you don't like singular notes sustained for a long time, and melodies that generally stay within a single key, and emphasis put more on the "sound" of things rather than the "performance" of things... you're not going to like any of this stuff."

I think you nailed it there, Drew. No offence to those into this sort of music! 
    Listening to the track you posted. Have to admit I don't understand shouty vocals either - the bit at 3:23 as well, that sort of thing doesn't get me going. Then the drums come in and to me it seems predictable like I've heard it a million times before. But I know other folks are well into this, like my pal who does this stuff in his band. Each to their own!
  • if it isn't instant and interesting I'm out.

ADHD is a bitch!
    Have to admit I don't understand shouty vocals either
    I love a bit of screaming me.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Have to admit I don't understand shouty vocals either
    I love a bit of screaming me.
    I don't know why you and Gassage don't go clubbing together more often.
  • Listening to Mogwai now...
    Being totally honest, I feel it builds to nothing - it's certainly better produced than what I can do production wise (that's a given!!!) but I can't find the hook and want to keep skipping 30s at a time to see if anything interesting is coming up. 
    The 28 Weeks Later track was cool but I don't know if it's because I associate it with the film - I think it's a good piece.
  • Listening to Mogwai now...
    Being totally honest, I feel it builds to nothing -
    In which case I would avoid any sexual encounter with Sting.
  • I saw Guthrie over a year ago and while GREAT after 50 mins I had to go out for a drink and then come back. It was like my ears and mind were saturating. I found I had to concentrate on the music. I think maybe that's sometimes what puts people off? 
  • God I'd better get some work done here :o Over and out for now!!
    Drew_fx said:

Try this:

I got that record for a Christmas present after hearing Tracy via a Total Guitar regular feature on small bands in 1997. Life changing as cheesy as it may sound was absolutely what happened for me. I listened to that track non-stop and then the same with the record.

I've bought that record twice since too. 

I get that people don't like it, but I struggle to understand why. Hairs standing up on the back of my neck every listen. Must have seen them 11, 12 maybe even 13 times now too even with going right off them during Mr Beast, Hardcore era....

Was stood next to the bass player during an Unsane gig in Glasgow, I struggled to not give him a some sort of sex (if he had so wished).

Thankfully I kept my cool and just got pished. 

Celtic supporters though....   Goes to show, no band is perfect.