Composition Challenge #11 - Freedom

What's Hot

Comments

• fnpt said:
    @steamabacus Thanks, should've read the rules first. @fretwired Thanks :D @PolarityMan I don't mammal, will check them out.
    Not sure exactly why, think its soemthing about the groove, it would sound ace with this style of vocals

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Woo finished mine. Rendering now...............
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • i finished all my back, just needing to recorin lead guitar.
  • submission has been submitted
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Is it not a good idea to set a time limit of a couple of minutes or something? Can't see me going through 10+ 5 minute tracks should that occur.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
     Surely there's room for all sorts here, if you only want to listen to the three minute track and ignore the forty minute rock opera that's fine.

As far as I'm concerned the more people encouraged to have a go with no pressure the better,.
    Have a go , the worst that can happen is you don't sell a million albums and don't have your pick of pliable groupies.

The best thing is, when someone you've never met tells you that three or four notes of the tune you came up with is quite nice, that's a good feeling.

• axisus said:
    Is it not a good idea to set a time limit of a couple of minutes or something? Can't see me going through 10+ 5 minute tracks should that occur
    5:47 I'm afraid.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited October 2015
    @kin Just as I suspected, you're planning a '40 minute rock opera' are you? Freedom? Based on the life of Nelson Mandela, maybe? Looking forward to it.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm so transparent , concerto for guitar and djembe :)

• Hold on - you guys aren't covering Freedom?  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How are we all getting on with this freedom? I'm finding it quite hard to pin ideas down knowing I can do anything I like
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
  • Submitted ages ago, killed 2 birds with one stone as needed to demo up a song for the band anyways :D The lyrics also fit the subject matter as the lyrics reference a point in the story of our band concept where 2 souls that have been trapped in the same body since birth finally separate.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I've barely touched a guitar in the last month or so and haven't really thought too much about this. My head has been more caught up in reviewing, digitising and archiving a load of old (pre-digital) material I've been sifting through.

I have a commitment to enter every one of these though, so I do intend to submit something. My current idea is maybe to record some freeform improvised ambient looping - just a live take which should cut down the time taken in 'production'.
        I've decided to try and do something more conventional structure wise this time. Started with a chord progression, got a melody to go with it and it has evolved over time until I had a sort of verse ,chorus, verse chorus, bridge, chorus thing going.

So far I have a drum track and a bass track that I'm reasonably happy with, a guide guitar track, ideas for a vocal melody and some cringe worthy lyrics half written.

Main thing I've learnt so far is, don't approach the bass like the guitar, my first efforts at a bass line were stupidly busy and totally put me off when trying to sing the melody over it, less is definitely more ( and when you hear my singing you'll probably wish I'd approached that the same way. )

%-(
  • Upgraded the Prize now to be an Electro Harmonix Worm pedal! This is worth about £65
    Old Is Gold
  • Does it still come with a rubber worm?
    :D
  • Or a tequila?

How exciting, need to start recording mine soon
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    Submitted mine today

First attempt at a 'proper' song, verses and chorus's's's etc

First attempt at using Auria on the iPad instead of garage band and first time using the Final touch app for mastering.

First attempt at making excuses for what I've posted.

Things I learnt  for next time;

Spend more time getting the sound of each track as good as possible rather than try and fix it later.

Gain a better understanding of recording basics ( wtf are the Aux 1 or 2 , sub1 and automation all about? )

Write a better song and get somebody else to sing it.

Every track is a one take type of thing ( apart from drums ) again, mainly due to a lack of knowledge regarding how to replace duff parts without re-recording the whole thing.

Like how the tune sounds in my head, sick and tired of how it sounds coming out of the speakers but also inspired to start something new.

I welcome any advice or criticism, you can also form an orderly queue and throw your knickers at me if so disposed :)

• Right, I have a plan (another one!).

I'm not getting much playing time at the moment so I'm going to spruce up a quick recording I did the other day - part of my ongoing recording of bits and bobs that I've dubbed my 'Guitar Diaries'.

Just a quick blast on my looper after changing the setup on my Ibanez Artist - lots of soloing, though.
    \m/