snag - no bandsaw to cut out body shape!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    I have done one out of english ash before, it was heavy and bright, but it didn't sound bad.  I put an overwound P-90 in it and it worked well,  quite a bright teleish tone but balanced out by the richness of the P-90, although it also had a solid wenge deep set neck tenon so its not really comparable ;)

I would consider doing as much as you can to reduce the weight.  first you need to get it down to 1.5 - 1.75" thick and I would really consider chambering and adding a thin top.   neither of these steps are really more difficult than the other aspects you have taken on, but i know adding extra steps can make it more daunting.

I helped someone do a tele recently out of iroko (horrible stuff), but managed to get it to a manageable weight and sounding quite good by making it thin and chambered - it was still 8 1/2lbs though.  without the extra steps I would guesstimate it would have been 11-13lbs

if your not sure you can still make the decision later.  get the body cut out and weigh it, if its already 6lb+ at this stage you really need to do more to reduce it or it will never get picked up

and I like heavy guitars ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for the advice, I'm already looking into the chambering idea as it happens, not daunted by it, I'm very much a dive in and have a go sort of person. I just need to find some suitable top that won't cost me too much.  

As it happens, I don't mind heavy guitars, there is something satisfying about them. There is too heavy though!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    I've used a jigsaw both times I've hacked out a body.

Thing is, I do a real rough cut and then did multiple passes with a router ending with the template bit. Worked for me...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited October 2015
    my 'Oak' bodied hardtail build' ( bathtub route )  yeah it's heavy' but has excellent sustain...............do it!!!!!

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Christ that looks like a piece of furniture.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    axisus said:
    Thanks for the advice, I'm already looking into the chambering idea as it happens, not daunted by it, I'm very much a dive in and have a go sort of person. I just need to find some suitable top that won't cost me too much.  

As it happens, I don't mind heavy guitars, there is something satisfying about them. There is too heavy though!
    I am currently using 2.5mm maple "constructional veneer" from Veneer Hub to skin this T type you could certainly cover some chambering with it - I have used a double thickness where the controls will come through - it seems pretty good but has no figure, so it will be covered with flamed sycamore veneer from the same company. I got enough 2.5mm to do the front and back of this guitar and the front of another one for about £30.

Will post another photo to the build thread in a few minutes

JohnB said:
    axisus said:

I am currently using 2.5mm maple "constructional veneer" from Veneer Hub to skin this T type you could certainly cover some chambering with it - I have used a double thickness where the controls will come through - it seems pretty good but has no figure, so it will be covered with flamed sycamore veneer from the same company. I got enough 2.5mm to do the front and back of this guitar and the front of another one for about £30.

Will post another photo to the build thread in a few minutes

Interesting build! Is 2.5mm thick enough as a top by itself?
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    I have found it surprisingly rigid - apart from the control holes, the only place I felt needed a bit of reinforcement was the P90 cutout. I do still have the solid centre section from neck through the bridge.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    2.5mm should be thick enough on its own. Doesn't hurt doubling it though

But if you want a cheap and "pretty" top I may have a few options for you. A few spalts, lightly figured maple.. Stuff like that
    WezV said:
    2.5mm should be thick enough on its own. Doesn't hurt doubling it though

But if you want a cheap and "pretty" top I may have a few options for you. A few spalts, lightly figured maple.. Stuff like that
    Many thanks for the offer, but I'm going for a black guitar with aged finish so nothing fancy required.