Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Drummers. Why are most crap?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• The same things are equally true of guitarists (even ones who are technically proficient). You will often hear pub band guitarists shredding away with no interest in how the notes fall against the beat and what that means for the sound of the band as a whole.

It's one reason why it's a worthwhile exercise to learn some funk music as the sparse nature and syncopation leaves nowhere to hide for musicians who don't think about rhythm. 
    Lead guitar is bent. Rhythm is where it's at. 

No one ever goes, what was that awesome song the one that goes widdlywiddlywiddlwiddlyscreeeeeewooohhhwidlewiddle
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    PolarityMan;810416" said:
    monquixote said:

The same things are equally true of guitarists (even ones who are technically proficient). You will often hear pub band guitarists shredding away with no interest in how the notes fall against the beat and what that means for the sound of the band as a whole.

It's one reason why it's a worthwhile exercise to learn some funk music as the sparse nature and syncopation leaves nowhere to hide for musicians who don't think about rhythm. 

No one ever goes, what was that awesome song the one that goes widdlywiddlywiddlwiddlyscreeeeeewooohhhwidlewiddle
    Guitar is guitar. This lead vs rythem thing is nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader

The same things are equally true of guitarists (even ones who are technically proficient). You will often hear pub band guitarists shredding away with no interest in how the notes fall against the beat and what that means for the sound of the band as a whole.

I meant shredding in the StSanders sense 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    edited October 2015
    ICBM said: all of them get into bands whether they're any good or not. This is true. When I was starting out it was really hard to find any drummers, never mind a good one. 

I've been playing with our current guy in different lineups since 98/99 I think - he's one of my best mates. He's a "playing what the song needs" bloke.. even when he can afford to be a bit expansive he just plays the song.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    a sign of a good drummer for me is their Hi-Hat work..and their ability to not go "toppy" with fills and cymbals..

I've been lucky too in that most of the drummers I have worked with have been great (bar 1 or 2).

A drummer sets the feel of the whole band IMO
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Shredding is nothing more than guitar noise masquerading as music. IMHO the drums and the bass lock in together and provide the foundation for the rest of the band. My cents worth FWIIW
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Rocker said:
    Shredding is nothing more than guitar noise masquerading as music. IMHO the drums and the bass lock in together and provide the foundation for the rest of the band. My cents worth FWIIW
    Something we finally agree on!!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    @Rocker double blind tests plz.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Cirrus, what is the subject of the double blind test?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Rocker;810902" said:
    @Cirrus, what is the subject of the double blind test?
    I guess it wasn't funny then. Le sigh. ;))
    No, but a brave effort none the less....

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum