New pickups....

What's Hot
Hello again, it's been a while.....however I'm about to order some Seymour Duncan pick ups for my Epiphone LP.

Looking at the SH-4JB - Bridge and the 59 SH-1 for the neck. 

I realize it's a lot to spend on a Epiphone but having had the guitar professionally set up it plays really well and i'd like to upgrade the rather dull sounding standard PUs.

Before I spend the money are there any alternatives that I should consider that will offer a similar(ish) sound to the Duncans, it's a difficult question as sound and tone quality are subjective, but if there's any others you think I should consider please let me know.
Cheers
G

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6209
    edited October 2015 tFB Trader
    Hello again, it's been a while.....however I'm about to order some Seymour Duncan pick ups for my Epiphone LP.

Looking at the SH-4JB - Bridge and the 59 SH-1 for the neck. 

I realize it's a lot to spend on a Epiphone but having had the guitar professionally set up it plays really well and i'd like to upgrade the rather dull sounding standard PUs.

Before I spend the money are there any alternatives that I should consider that will offer a similar(ish) sound to the Duncans, it's a difficult question as sound and tone quality are subjective, but if there's any others you think I should consider please let me know.
    Cheers
    G

for your money you should consider OIL CITY pickups. Ash @TheGuitarWeasel is a member here. you'll get a really great quality Made in Britain product. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Yup oil city probably a better bet to be honest.

Also I got some bare knuckles and put them in an epiphone les Paul special II, among other things (grovers, tone pros tuneomatic, CTS pots, a switchcraft jack, and a free sample of wallpaper from the range [see PIC])
    http://d06.imgup.net/20150828_02e22.jpg Spent probably thrice what the guitar is worth new on parts, however it is probably my favourite guitar, the neck is just sublime.

Anyway, more than sure ash can sort you out.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, never heard of oil city before, cool that they're UK made as well. About to send Ash an e-mail.
    Cheers
    G
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    I can vouch for the quality of Oil City pickups too. Although I doubt you would, don't think that they're in any way inferior to the more expensive brands. The ones I've seen are as well- made and good-sounding as any pickups I know of, up there with the very best.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27655
    Thanks, never heard of oil city before

Then you've clearly not spent enough time here.

Oil City. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    @LordOxygen check out the Made in the UK forum section, Ash has posted a few threads showing how he makes his pickups (recent example are the Route66 pickups he made for me), amazing quality, highly recommended :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I have a load of great ex-demo (mainly as in I fitted them to one of my guitar builds and took them out gain when the guitar sold as customer wanted another option)

So I have Duncan, Bare Knuckle, and ASL (Oil City Masterwound) that can be had a bit cheaper
    I need to list them all but will probably have something suitable

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ∆ Do you have any mini humbuckers knocking about?
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    You should also check out the iron gear dirty torque and blues engine set - awesome sounding pickups and a good price
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited October 2015
    Thanks the all the info and suggestions guys. However I've ordered a pair of pick ups from oil city.

Edit to add, i'll up date the thread as I fit them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    We are so lucky to have Ash Oil City and Mark Mojo at our services for all things pickups.

Like others I have used all the big U.S. Pickups but after using Oil City Cowtrons and Mojo P90/Mojotron either would be my first port of call.

Always worth asking in classifieds here too.
  • You should also check out the iron gear dirty torque and blues engine set - awesome sounding pickups and a good price
    That gets my vote. I've just fitted this set of pickups (with Jimmy Page wiring) to a Harley Benton Les Paul - the range of tones is amazing, and the pickups plus wiring kit cost just over £100.