Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Nice area to live? (Commutable to Doncaster)

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 960
So shit might be about to get real with a job offer, certainly to the point where I need to at least consider my family and a move t'up north.

Ideally looking for somewhere semi-rural with a friendly community for a young family. No more than 40mons from Doncaster. Budget around £350-400,000.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I bet you could get a mansion for that up there. Hope it works out for you :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited October 2015
    @Parker - Try Tickhill. My friends live there and the nearest big towns are Doncaster and Leeds and Doncaster is less than 10 miles away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tickhill

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Tickhill.html

Good luck!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I hate commuting and for each job move I have literally (OK not literally) drawn a circle around the office/factory and then picked the nicest  leafyish suburb in that circle. There will be somewhere in Doncaster that is really nice and really close.
    20 minute walk.....perfect.
    I would normally say.....see where the footballers are living......but in this case: Maybe not.

• "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Pontefract is quite nice as is Castleford
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited October 2015
    You could get something very nice in the Peak District with that budget.

Avoid Rotherham & SCunthorpe.

Donny itself is a bit of a shithole - Sheffield is better.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    Depends what you're after really, countryside, village, city? For city then I would look at Sheffield or maybe Leeds (commute would be a bit more painful from there though).
    Otherwise you can go for North Lincolnshire for cheap countryside.
    Personally I would look to the North like Selby, Howden or any of the villages round there. That would give you easy access to M62 and M18, whilst also only being 30min from York which is, of course, the finest city in the country 
    ;)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I live in Wakefield, and like the bit I live in (but wouldn't touch other bits), depends what bit of Donny though as to whether that's 40 mins, the north side (Adwick) is 35 mins.

Ackworth is nice, but a bit quiet for me. I really like Sheffield, but the bit you'd want to live in is the south-east, so totally the wrong side for Donny.

• wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    avoid rotherham its a shithole, avoid former mining villages ie place that used to have a pit. Bawtry is close to doncaster and probably the nicest place around there. As chris said above South East of sheff is probably nicest dronfield/edge of the peaks. Steer clear of Barnsley it makes Rotherham look like club med.
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    Wakefield as well here, there are some nice places near here that are rural and in easy striking distance of Doncaster. For that sort of budget you'll have no problem
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    I would have a look at the foothills of the peaks, or if you like cities, the posher bits of Sheff
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited October 2015
    most nice areas in Sheffield are towards the West of the city and you would take a lot of time just getting on to the motorway. Not bad to live, some perfectly good areas are quite affordable (including the place where I live which would have good houses well below your budget) but not to be recommended for a commute to Doncaster. Dronfield should be ok to live but quite a slog up the M1. 

@Kebabkid may be on to something - I've driven from Sheffield to Gainsborough (or, more exactly, Blyton Park track) via Bawtry and Tickhill early in the morning quite a few times and the area seems nice enough. The M1 gets clogged up easily and traffic generally is a nightmare all around Sheffield / Rotherham / Doncaster so I would recommend looking for as short a commute as possible. 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Newark. Some lovely old houses, not too pricey, good old fashioned town with proper shops and a regular town centre market. Good pubs too. 44mins according to Googlemaps. A1 all the way.
    hywelg;818656" said:
    Newark. Some lovely old houses, not too pricey, good old fashioned town with proper shops and a regular town centre market. Good pubs too. 44mins according to Googlemaps. A1 all the way.
    And if that trip on the A1 passes an OK Diner then it gets 1000 bonus points for added yums on the way to/from work!
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Bawtry is a lovely place and you should check it out. My other half
    Grew up there and he in laws still there. The villages next up from Bawtry in the way to Retford are smaller and more rural. London in 1hr 30min from Retford station.

Tickhill is too close to Rotherham.

Head out Gainsborough way for
    more value.

If you have kids consider Southwell for
    Minster school catchment area - best school by some margin in Notts- bit more of a commute though.

Good luck.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Thanks guys - all great suggestions! It's only an area I have driven through - never stopped off. My dad is from Sheffield, so I should be more akin to the area, but we've rarely been back! 
    @Parker whereabouts in Donny will you be working? Is commuting by train an option?
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    BigMonka said:
    @Parker whereabouts in Donny will you be working? Is commuting by train an option?
    There is no train link unfortunately. Its Just outside.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Parker,

I live in Sheffield, have done for 22 years now, and my in laws live near Doncaster.
    Sheffield - its the South West side you want, not S East. This city is pretty good, but apart from this side, the SW, the rest is a bit crap. You could do a commute from here to Donny in about an hour or so, less if you left early. Half hour on a good run.

The SW of Sheffield is expensive to buy in though. That's cos the schools are some of the best in the UK, and the area is quite swish, very safe, walkable into the Peaks and generally a great place to live in. If you are not bothered by a commute and want to live in a cool suburb, have a look at S11, S7, S10 post codes for ideas.

South Yorkshire generally is a dump - DO NOT consider living in ROtherham or Barnsley areas. THey are crap. Cheap, but crap.

If you want rural, have a look at the Isle of Axholme - its the area between Doncaster and Scunthorpe, around the Robin Hood airport. If you don't mind flat country, its very rural, and you get a lot for your money. 400k will get you a big house with a lot of land. Acres in some cases. My inlaws live out there. Isolated, but I quite like that tbh.

The little villages/hamlets around Epworth and Bawtry are worth a look too.

South of Doncaster, follwoing the A1 there are some nice little places. Personally, I think Newark is a dump. Rural Lincs is nice, again, lot of property for your money.

IF you want any other advice on areas and that, just ask, no prob. Got kids? That will influence where you go too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Parker said:
    BigMonka said:
    There is no train link unfortunately. Its Just outside.
    Which bit just outside?

Kids in the picture?