Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Nice area to live? (Commutable to Doncaster)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited October 2015
    I live 45 mins from Donny in a village outside the aptly named Grimsby. Id say Newark is a good shout it has some nice areas and should be cheepish, plus good train links etc.

Avoid Scunthorpe and Gainsbrough
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Thanks @snap. We do have one little one so schooling is important.
  • Have a look at Bessacar, Cantley, Branton, Auckley and Thorne suburbs.

Also some nice properties I've seen in Askern and Sprotbrough. Happy hunting.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    From the quick look I've had you get alot more for your money in West Yorkshire than Lincs or Notts.

This is 15/20 mins from the north side of Donny.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Guildford
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I agree it's not great but I find Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield have the shitty areas too. If you've not been put off have a look at places like Penistone, Thurlstone, Cawthorne, Thurgoland, Notton, or closer to Doncaster there's a nice village called Hooton Pagnal. All semi rural and really nice places to live. You'd get more house for your money there than Sheffield and Leeds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Lincoln has just been mentioned in the Sunday Times property section as an up and coming location for house purchases. So best avoid that then cos it'll be of knobs:)

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    There's no stigma from me about Barnsley. Its a dump. Yes, some of the surrounding villages are OK, but most of them are a bit grim. Sadly, that is the story of South Yorkshire - the vast majority of it is still reeling from the collapse in manufacturing industries. The only place that has ridden this out, not surprisingly, is Sheffield. That's due to (mostly) the massive education presence, huge academia population, and some particularly highly affluent suburbs. This gives it a lot of diversity and independent small businesses. However, like many cities, it has its real dumps too.

If you want big city facilites (its the 4th or 5th biggest in England), brilliant state schools, low crime, easy access to some of the UK's best countryside, the greenest city in Europe, nice bars, cafes, independent shops, and all round nice people, well the SW of the city is hard to beat. But, and its a big but, that comes at a price. Property is relatively expensive, but IMO it is a price worth paying. Its a brilliant place to bring up kids.

If you are looking about, get yourself to Ecclesall Rd, and have a walk around, check out the parks and the botanical gardens, have a wander round the streets, chock full of quirky shops, delis, cafes, pubs and bars. Great area. The city centre is rubbish, but should get redeveloped in the next 5 years, but Eccy Rd and the surrounds are hard to beat IMO.

Doncaster itself is a well equipped town, but it is populated by, how can I put this politely, err, roughnecks (which is being kind).

But, the outskirts are nice. There's some quaint little places. Sprotbrough is nice, and well placed. If you like rural - Epworth is good, but it is a little out of the way, but you might like that. MIsson, Bawtry too, worth a look.

Somewhere alittle further afield, Retford, and around there- -rural and old.

Avoid Rotherham though, its a doghole. Having said that, the East side isn't too bad - Wickersley, Carr. BUt stay well clear of Maltby-  that is a proper hell hole.

Simply - anywhere that had a pit or coke works, is now desolate. No surprise really is it?

hywelg said:
    Lincoln has just been mentioned in the Sunday Times property section as an up and coming location for house purchases. So best avoid that then cos it'll be of knobs:)

THere are some lovely places in Lincs, and it isn't expensive either. Just a bit out of the way, which is why, I suppose, it tends to be cheap.

Lincoln is a bit of a drag to Doncaster too, especially in traffic. And, you do take your life in your hands on those road, cos no mater the time of day, there is always some arsehole determined to risk life and limb to overtake something, anything.
  • Thinking about it Sheffield probably is the best place, if your wanting a new build property there's a huge site in waverly that's at the top of the park way. Then you'll only be a 10mins drive to the m18 and a 10 minute drive into the centre.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    What about guitar shops then fellas? Rich Tones is Sheffield isn't it? Isn't there also a vintage shop (Old Hat or something??)  
    NOt a chance in hell I'd want to live out there Jamie, borders bandit country. Not my ideal part of town, given a choice.
  • Richtone is very good @Parker and the lads all seem decent. Wizard Guitars on Ecclesall Road has vintage stuff, but I've heard mixed reviews. Guitar Shack on Glossop Road.,.,,Meh. Wavelength Music on London Road is Ok, but not up to Richtone Standard. There are maybe one or two other stores that mainly deal with very low end gear, but are for strings etc. Electro Music in Donny used to be great, but I ain't been for ages.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Yeah electro used to be ace, I think it went down hill when Rob left. It's tiny compared to what it used to be.

Wizard has some lovely old gear in it, but its not cheap. Some rare stuff too, not your run of the mill. Its changed hands recently. Shopl looks ace too. Just like something you'd find in NY's Greenwich Village, cool. The rents on Eccy Rd are astronomical, so I don't know how they stay in trade. I only go there periodically.

Rich Tone is great. Good staff, good gear. I've bought plenty from them. Prices are competitive too. Good range of 2nd hand stuff too, and some weird and wonderful oddities there.

Wavelength, whilst a bit of an institution, only has cheap end stuff mostly, well it seemd to last time I was there, which was years ago.
  • Late to the party, but I live in Everton a couple of miles east of Bawtry. Moved from Wiltshire in 2011. Best move I ever made. Wish I'd have done it years ago. Hope your move went well!