so what's everyone been working on ?

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 616
i thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone has been practising and what they feel what has been the most improvements in there playing ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Improvising tunes
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Arpeggios, melodic patterns (eg 1-2-3-5 etc), learning Have You Met Miss Jones.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Drumming- single stroke rolls 16th's at 160bpm, doubles at 140bpm, paradiddle's at 110bpm.
    Independence exercises.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    bingefeller;826092" said:
    Arpeggios, melodic patterns (eg 1-2-3-5 etc), learning Have You Met Miss Jones.
    similar to me really ...iv been doing a lot of
    II V I exercises in 12 keys...with altered stuff on the V ...plus working on the arps in them keys as well....not working on standards at the moment but taking out any awkward chord progs out of various tunes and making them so they are not awkward anymore.....also picking everything thats something that was a bit alien to me but getting there with it i think ..:)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    I'm working on improving my polyrhythmic finger picking and continuing to learn Tabula Rasa by Calum Graham.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    I hate to say it, but I've been stretching my fingers over Mr Brightside. Then on Monday we decided to do Somebody Told Me instead. So this evening I've been practicing my transcribing
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015
    Ableton live.
    Going from being in a band to gigging solo. 
    Ripped up songs in Ableton. Controllers. Guitar. Sing. 
    So much practicing and work to do.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418

I've been working my way through Cavatina, probably best known as the theme from The Deer Hunter. I'm basically playing the John Williams arrangement for acoustic nylon but on an electric. There's some interesting stretches but it's rewarding as his arrangement makes the piece playable as a complete nice sounding piece of music on one guitar with no other backing

Oh and the fast bit from Black Rose - Thin Lizzy. I'm in a Lizzy tribute but never bothered to get it 100% right but I'm trying now. Gary Moore had some serious strength in his left hand 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Going over my modes, pentatonics & arps. 
    --> Goal is to start jamming to backing tracks again at some point but with more complicated chord progressions. 
    Been doing drums & bass for the album. 
    Recently recorded two songs in the studio with the band.
    Watching the odd video on jamplay. 
    Lots of technical practice as usual.
    Learnt 3 new songs this week for the band.
    Danny1969;826416" said:
    I've been working my way through Cavatina, probably best known as the theme from The Deer Hunter. I'm basically playing the John Williams arrangement for acoustic nylon but on an electric. There's some interesting stretches but it's rewarding as his arrangement makes the piece playable as a complete nice sounding piece of music on one guitar with no other backing

Oh and the fast bit from Black Rose - Thin Lizzy. I'm in a Lizzy tribute but never bothered to get it 100% right but I'm trying now. Gary Moore had some serious strength in his left hand 
    lovely tune cavatina....whats the name of the thin lizzy tribute band ...our drummer also plays in one as well as us...

Black Rose mate, so if there's one tune I should really have nailed it's the song we're named after :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969;826457" said:
    Black Rose mate, so if there's one tune I should really have nailed it's the song we're named after :)
    our drummer plays with one called five and dangerous...dont iff you have heard of them
    It's a good name, Live & Dangerous is the bible album for us Lizzy guys, if you cover a song you cover the Live n Dangerous one not the studio version 

I've just looked at your guys Facebook page, looks a good outfit playing some good gigs. My lot plays some enjoyable gigs but the monies dire 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969;826478" said:
    It's a good name, Live & Dangerous is the bible album for us Lizzy guys, if you cover a song you cover the Live n Dangerous one not the studio version 

I've just looked at your guys Facebook page, looks a good outfit playing some good gigs. My lot plays some enjoyable gigs but the monies dire 
    yeah they are a good band ...i dont play in the band but our drummer does with other local lads.... :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I seem to be mostly develop up songs for my students to get to grips with which often means finding alternative fingerings for them.

As such, 'singalong a songs' that they can get their head around in total, currently include Hi Hi Silver lining and Whiskey in the Jar with full solo parts.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Have you found that kind of practice has paid off? I find rudiments practice really hard to commit to as it's just so tedious so would be worth hearing how long it took you to see pay offs.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Singing, screaming, and distortion techniques. More work on my mix too.

I've got 12 songs that I want to record for a new album under my 'Lands With Metal Beasts' moniker.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Vocal melodies and lyrics.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited October 2015
    1. Jeff Beck's Brush With The Blues - but using a Les Paul so no whammy bar antics.

2. Decided some weeks ago to do a bit of DADGAD study - complemented by recent Lowden purchase.

3. Got asked to join a band out of the blue 10 days ago -  had a go with the band this Wednesday, and now have a pile of fortunately straightforward songs to learn - Charity Gig in a month's time.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    brushing up on my early 80's style licks and tricks for a session I have on at the moment..
    so I've been messing with Van Halen, George Lynch, Vivian Campbell type vibes..
    play every note as if it were your first