Gordon Smith upgrades?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    If the tone is a bit bright then you can dial that back - the original GS tone pots are (I believe) "no load" at 10, so they're out of circuit. I tend to keep them on 8/9 unless I'm going for a specific sound. I also think the Tubemeister is a pretty "hi-fi" amp (although no guitar amp is really) - so it can be quite bright also. Might be worth trying some other amps?

@Funkfingers - I remember GS marketing a passive mid-boost - the Volumax? I also wondered how anything passive could be boosting anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14453
    markv said:
    I remember GS marketing a passive mid-boost - the Volumax? 
    The object inside the guitar on which I worked was smothered in a sticky-backed cloth tape. The task that I was performing required no soldering on the booster *cube* itself and I felt insufficient curiosity to unwrap it just to read its label. 

markv said:
    I also wondered how anything passive could be boosting anything.
    A Google search for Villex GMB will yield plenty of Interweb discussions about this exact question. The consensus seemed to be that the device "emphasised" the midrange by de-emphasizing some high and low frequencies. (In effect, simple passive band pass filtering.) One contributor had taken a faulty Villex SJMB apart and found very few components within. The illusion relies on signal buffering.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Well i replaced all the pots with cts ones and changed the cap routing so i have a treble bleed in the vol pots now. Amd they are all 500k.  I play through a marshall dsl40r as well now too.  The neck on it is so silky its the best feature.