Finished! Single cut bass - Alder and Camphor

What's Hot

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited January 2016
    paulnb57 said:
    I'm alot of things Andy, sweetie? mmmmmm

For the avoidance of doubt, you're all sweeties, folks :)) Seriously, though, the encouragement and advice given on the forum is a major factor in getting me up the learning curve of this challenging but fascinating hobby - if that doesn't make you all sweeties, I don't know what does ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Fairy nuff, Andy, now, don't you have just one more coat of varnish to apply?

Carry on sweetness, carry on!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016

paulnb57 said:
    Fairy nuff, Andy, now, don't you have just one more coat of varnish to apply?

Carry on sweetness, carry on!
    Yes - just put what I hope is the final coat on the back and neck.  

As it was bright this morning, just before I did what I hope is the final pass, I took a few semi mock-up photos.  I hope this is going to sound as good as it's beginning to look!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Beyoootiful
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Beyoootiful
    Thanks, Winny  :)

Frets are now levelled and polished and tuners fitted.  I'm using Hipshot Ultra-lites with a drop D.  Pricey but seems like the biz to me.  Here they are from the front:

Here's the back in 'E' position:

...and in 'D' position:

And a quick mock-up for good luck ;)

Still quite a lot to do, but it's really coming together now 
    :)
  • That's such a beautiful bass. Love that the pickup covers have become a feature and serve to soften the rest of the black hardware.
    That's such a beautiful bass. Love that the pickup covers have become a feature and serve to soften the rest of the black hardware.
    Thanks, @Shark_Eyes ; :)

I tried them originally as just plain camphor, but it actually took something away from the look of the body rather than enhancing it.  The ebony idea was a bit of a lateral thinking moment but I'm very pleased with the result.
  • That's such a beautiful bass. Love that the pickup covers have become a feature and serve to soften the rest of the black hardware.
    Thanks, @Shark_Eyes ; :)

I tried them originally as just plain camphor, but it actually took something away from the look of the body rather than enhancing it.  The ebony idea was a bit of a lateral thinking moment but I'm very pleased with the result.
    It was a good move, whichever direction you went in  :) 

I'm looking forward to hearing some clips now. I've got the word 'Thunderous' floating round my head.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Do I need to say what I thInk, Andy?….Again?

Have another WOW for the overflowing wow cabinet……awesome!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Do I need to say what I thInk, Andy?….Again?

Have another WOW for the overflowing wow cabinet……awesome!

:))

The electrics are now fitted and I've been doing some work to balance the pickups at their lowest acceptable height.  Why?  Because of the very large covers that I need to get well away from picking fingers or picks - particularly around the P pickup area.

By necessity, the J pickup is going to be higher, but I quite like that to give it a bit of balance.  I wanted also to avoid drilling holes in and screwing the slugs out through them, although that was an option.  Nevertheless, I cut some channels to within a gnat's whisker of break through to be able to screw them as high as possible with a cover as slim as possible:

Getting to the ebony = sub 1mm to fresh air.  Yikes!

However, it worked.  I have low but acceptable volume and good balance with this thickness of covers:

Other than fixing the covers on and adding the strap locks, that's the body pretty much done.  Now the varnish is hard enough, I'm going to satin the neck and then play it on a strap to check the feel of the neck.  I'll also double check against the templates of the guy's favourite bass.  To me it feels a little bit chunkier than my own PJ neck - it might be just his preference or I might need to just tweek it down a little.  If it's OK, it'll be ready to collect in a week, if it needs a bit of a profile tweak, 2 weeks.

By the way, can't remember if I said, but the guy was hoping for a light-ish bass, in spite of it being a single-cut.  It's coming in at 7lb 13oz (c 3.5kg).  He's well chuffed....and so am I :)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Wow Andy you have out done yourself this time buddy. That is amazing
    nutbox said:
    Wow Andy you have out done yourself this time buddy. That is amazing
    Thanks, @nutbox !   :)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    That's exceptionally light!

My Warwick, albeit a 5 string with one of their famously huge mid-2000s necks, is over 10lbs and it's a doublecut.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    strtdv said:
    That's exceptionally light!

My Warwick, albeit a 5 string with one of their famously huge mid-2000s necks, is over 10lbs and it's a doublecut.
    Yes - I'm well pleased.  It's lighter even than ANY of my 6-string electrics...even the basswood double cut ones.  
    I know the underside of a rough-machined and chiselled pickup cover isn't the most glamorous shot, but pretty much the last thing I do is put the label on. 

It's finished!!!!!

I'll do a few arty-farty shots tomorrow when it's light, and then you'll be pleased to know no more same-old same-old photos of a process that takes considerably longer than watching paint dry.  ;)
    OK - Finished  :)

Here are some of the final shots:

Thanks for all of the encouragement along the journey, folks  :)

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1774
    I know that the top is an impressive piece of wood... but for me the back is just beautiful! The contrast of the different woods is stunning, the subtlety of the wings of the headstock being in the dark wood is really classy.
    Amazing work again Andy.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Top work Andy - looks absolutely amazing!!
    PVO_Dave said:
    Top work Andy - looks absolutely amazing!!
    Thanks @PVO_Dave !   :)