Watching the other bands

What's Hot
PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
http://www.vanyaland.com/2015/10/27/uk-rock-club-forces-opening-bands-to-stay-and-watch-others-playing-that-night-is-this-needed-in-boston/

We pretty much always stick around but tbh I think most of the problem is that the majority of promoters put on bills that aren't worth watching.
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Always two bug bears of mine.

Not watching the other bands on the bill regardless of where you are on the bill and promoters putting fucking dumb line ups together.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Does it really count as support if its coerced though?
  • Especially with a typical bill mixing genre's I'm not sure what it really buys anyone anything other than the venue who might make a few more dirnk sales.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Bands trying to progress shouldn't do these gigs in the first place...You won't grow your fan-base by playing to 20 other band members and their girlfriends.

This venue/promoter clearly puts on too many non-promoted shows where there are more band/crew than music fans.
  • We've got one like this coming up in december, its more to keep our face in with the venue than anything else. We've had some success doing mixed sets of covers / originals at metal pubs rather than venues but we're really struggling to get on decently promoted shows.

Got any tips in that area?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• lol, just checked out your face book page for your early history to see if I could get some insights  and you have actually played at the venue in question in 2012.

Would still value your insight in getting out of that rut though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    imo it's a bit rude not to watch the other bands.   Ok sometimes you might need to be somewhere else but often people just can't be bothered.    

If the room is more full, I think you tend to play better and it makes a better atmosphere for any non band people in the audience.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_BlackWolfJohn_BlackWolf Frets: 137
    edited October 2015

lol, just checked out your face book page for your early history to see if I could get some insights  and you have actually played at the venue in question in 2012.
    We've played the Snooty Fox a few times, It's actually a pretty cool venue. good sound and the stage although small has some pretty great features (load on/off from side, screen comes down so you aren't setting up in front of the audience, great lighting rig)

This rule wasn't in place when we played IIRC.
    I've played the Snooty Fox back about 8 years ago.

Malc: "DVD deal lads?"
    Us: "No."
    Malc: "DVD you can have for £50?"
    Us: "Thanks mate but no, just want to play the gig really."
    Malc: "Look, the disc cost me a fiver, cost price?"
    Us: "Go on then."

Unknown Voice: "MALCOLM, YOUR TEA'S READY!"
    Malc: "See you later lads."

Great days.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    We played with the Morbid Tyrants if I recall correctly. Most songs were about "shitting on the chest of God" or paedophile priests. 

"SADO-SADO-SADO-PRIEST!"

Quite a catchy number actually.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_BlackWolfJohn_BlackWolf Frets: 137
    edited October 2015
    PolarityMan;835321" said:
    @John_BlackWolf

Would still value your insight in getting out of that rut though.
    The rut being: Need good gigs to build fan-base > Need fan-base to get good gigs.

There really is no direct answer to this so I'll just highlight a few generalized things that MIGHT help.

What you need:
    • Good songs (Songs that your target demographic will consider good songs, they will then buy your music and come see you again live)
    • Strong & consistent branding
    • High quality product/recording
    What promoters and bigger bands care about:
    • Money
    • Success
    How will you being a band on the bill benefit them?
    • The show/tour isn't sold out. you will sell enough adv tickets to make you worth having on the bill
    • The show/tour isn't sold out and you can financially contribute to the advertising campaign budget which will increase ticket sales
    • The show/tour is sold out and you can contribute financially to the band/promoter/managements pockets (buy-on)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • "Right lads, this is the last song on their set list.  Get the fucking doors locked!"
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've played there with two different bands...honestly, it was a bit shit. First time, the headliner pulled out so we ended up headlining in a town we'd never played before and tried to get him to find another headliner - we'd got the gig as a taster because he wanted to have an option for something different in terms of openers. I think there were maybe 15 people in there (almost all of whom we'd brought with us), and none of the promotion we'd been told would happen actually did. 

Oh, and for the record...the opening band bailed as soon as they'd finished and the main support legged it when it became clear that they'd fucked up our drummer's kick drum by standing on it. Both left without even a raised eyebrow from Malc, who cheerily waved at them as they went.

Second time, it was promised it'd be different...it genuinely was. Even less people turned up.

The DVD deal wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that it's all ancient video gear - not even widescreen, so it'll look shit on YouTube or Vimeo - with random cuts to the various cameras dotted around the stage, usually at entirely the wrong time; we got better results from a £100 video camera and some phones from our mates. It's a great idea for 20 years ago, not so much now.
    <space for hire>
  • Bands trying to progress shouldn't do these gigs in the first place...You won't grow your fan-base by playing to 20 other band members and their girlfriends.

This venue/promoter clearly puts on too many non-promoted shows where there are more band/crew than music fans.
    Yep - he's always found on Facebook bemoaning the fact that nobody's turned up on a given night, complaining about the local council trying to shut him down, complaining about the world in general being unfair etc...but I've never seen actual promotion going on beyond a Facebook event and a poster in the venue itself.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Played a gig last night.

Some kid in one of the bands - borrowed my amp, my cab, and MY PLECTRUM...

And then they all left straight after their set.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Especially with a typical bill mixing genre's I'm not sure what it really buys anyone anything other than the venue who might make a few more dirnk sales.
    Remember that gig we played where that one band covered Tool's Lateralus really badly?? That's one band I wish I hadn't stuck around to watch! You guys were pretty cool though.
  • Cheers you guys were pretty gosh darned awesome too. Seen the other band from that bill eschar a few times now. They're getting some pretty big support slots every now and again.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Cheers you guys were pretty gosh darned awesome too. Seen the other band from that bill eschar a few times now. They're getting some pretty big support slots every now and again.
    Yeah they're good lads. Played with 'em a lot over the years.
    Drew_fx said:
    Played a gig last night.

Some kid in one of the bands - borrowed my amp, my cab, and MY PLECTRUM...

And then they all left straight after their set.
    Must be a Southener thing. We played in High Wycombe once, one band before us barely brought a guitar between them and we'd driven down from pretty much Scotland with full battle regalia. Guitar player wanted to use my Dual Rec, and after the 6th time of telling him no I caved in, however by that time the promoter told them to fuck off back home. They duly dragged their shared guitar back along the gravel to the bus.
    We also played the Hope and Anchor I believe it was called a few times in Highbury. Some band manager rang me begging for cabs to use the night before we played one time, saying she was a "real fan of our stuff", I said it was fine. The band she managed were total shit. Some French Beatles wannabees and she ran out screaming less than 4 seconds into our set with her hands over her ears.

I took it as a compliment and never seen her begging arse ever again.