The shatocaster, all the bloopers in one package

What's Hot
Decided to build a guitar using all the failed attempts, badly aged body, tie dye scratch plate aged pickups and knobs. Unfortunately had to use a decent neck and bridge but its not actually that bad and plays ok "ish" after a quick basic setup.
Will have another play later.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Looks fine !
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Pickguard aside, it looks great
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27753
    It's often handy to have a "scrap" guitar around the place - something that you can use to try stuff out on.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    I shall name it "Beaker" the body has been sanded twice now so is a little on the thin side, I have an old Tele neck with a lower heel that is slightly off kilter so I may use that if I can get it flat. The loss of wood on the front means the bridge saddles are pretty high.
  • Skodadad said:
    I shall name it "Beaker" the body has been sanded twice now so is a little on the thin side, I have an old Tele neck with a lower heel that is slightly off kilter so I may use that if I can get it flat. The loss of wood on the front means the bridge saddles are pretty high.
     I think it looks great   :)>-

Wouldn't a shim under the headstock side of the neck pocket sort the saddle height?  Usually, a small shim significantly thinner than a credit card is plenty to sort such things out...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks awesome
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I'm liking that. 
    edited November 2015

I think it looks great   :)>-

Wouldn't a shim under the headstock side of the neck pocket sort the saddle height?  Usually, a small shim significantly thinner than a credit card is plenty to sort such things out...
    I have not done this yet, I found one in a telecaster and thought it was a problem. Would this mean that the string height in the middle of the neck would be higher or would I be looking to introduce a slight back bow to compensate? I struggle to explain how I got to that thinking but something in the void stirred briefly. Thanks for comments guys
  • First thing to check is the neck relief, to make sure it's there or there abouts (hold top or bottom E at 1st fret and 16th fret and there should be just perceptible movement at the 8th fret - credit card thickness is too much, hard against the fret is not enough).  

Then if the saddles have to be too high or too low, the neck angle needs a tweak.  If, after the neck relief (bow) has been confirmed as OK the saddles have to be set too high, the neck angle will need to be reduced slightly - the thin shim under the headstock end of the neck pocket does this.

Can't remember where, but there's a neat diagram somewhere that illustrates why this works.  I'll try to find it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited November 2015
    Halfway down the page of Tundraman's site here there are the diagrams
    Cheers @Andyjr1515 will print it off
  • I think that looks ace! The body looks fantastic, that's a lovely, deep colour, and all the differences actually add to it, imo. Funny how mistakes sometimes come out better than the original plan - this was supposed to be a midnight blue, but although I was really disappointed at first, it's definitely grown on me.

(Apologies if you think I'm trying to hijack your thread, btw.)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I quite like yours but I don't care for this, just waiting for a new bridge to arrive then its off to ebay as the redheaded stepchild it is :D