Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The singing thread

What's Hot
191011121315»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    You've killed this thread Sambo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2016

I was thinking that, fine line between technique and expression though eh.  The truth is no one cares about singing, if they did, they would help. 

I've kept the thread moist.  What have you sung lately?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016

And I disagree.  It's purely subjective anyway.  There is you starting a family and joining the herd by choice or by wire and people listen to you because of your ban efforts and all, which is fair enough is you ask me.  They have me on auto blank.  I wanted to explore why and how and range and ability but everyone is dismissive.  People just say practice more.  It's not right we're all different.  Besides you just want bunny points anyway, we all do.  I do from myself.  That is all I care about.

It's the conform to type or piss off.  I don't know really know what you were expecting or if you were expecting anything else.

It's like a spider weaving a web, it just does it and can't be arse to explain it.  It doesn't even think about why it does it.

It's the same with the making music idea, everyone is too down on ego and self time to get busy and they all turn around and call me the madman whore.

edited April 2016

All this anyone can be anything is bollocks. Sing in your chest voice an stick it to them.  Shove it up their arse. No one remembers X Factor, it's al about what you have to say and how you say it.  I'm ginger I don't play by motorway rules, Fuck em.  I look forward to your next masterpiece in anticipation and anyone else's.

It's the journey, you can't be saving up to be anything because you'll be dead.

Ban efforts? LOL. What the fuck are you talking about?

Basically Sam here is the scoop... the big fat realisation that you've avoided - You've not put in the time to practice, you've not taken any lessons like I advised way earlier in the thread, and anything you do right now is a waste of time. All you're doing is teaching yourself bad habits that will be difficult to undo later on down the line once you do get some lessons.

You've not kept the thread moist. You've fucked it to death and no-one else can be arsed to contribute now.

Lately I've been working on fry screaming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016

OK then wisdom duly awarded.  I'm keeping my neck in until I get lessons and I'II do some editing later and maybe start a karaoke thread, problem sticking crap sound bites on here is it's so compelling.  Lessons then, by the end of June, no doubt.

Then I'II come back with a massive chip the size of a whole bag of potatoes on my shoulder.

:)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    I will prob contribute at some point but dont feel im up to scratch yet.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Hugbot - you wanted me to post some scream stuff...
    http://picosong.com/KqL2

Some fry scream examples. Just working on turning a pure note into a fry scream, and trying to get control over it. Getting the basics in place really.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Is that the kind of stuff you were doing in your lessons? It sounds like a different approach from how I've previously thought of it.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Although I have trouble differentiating between the "types" of screams. I've never specifically tried to focus on one type.
    hugbot said:
    Is that the kind of stuff you were doing in your lessons? It sounds like a different approach from how I've previously thought of it.
    Well there are two techniques. Fry screaming and false chord screaming. I seem to have some sort of natural understanding of the former, but the latter still eludes me; I don't really get it. But once you do get both of them and can do them, you can then start doing mixed drives, which is basically a combination of both of them.

This is the woman I've been doing lessons with - I've only had three mind you!

More examples you bastards
    :(( :(( :(( :-<

It was sad and it touched me and made me sad.

You have to think about the subject rather than the singing, it's like guitar.  Good to hear a lower register though eh.  Transition is the high stuff hardest, I've been listening to Judas Priest. Resonance is key though.  There are some highly shit singers that can  make me cry, it's a fine line between poetry and intonation.

I've written a song about what it might be like to lose my foreskin in a car accident, but I'm still working on it.

No, I've let it slide.  Jesus Damn it.

edited May 2016
    Worked a bit more on Red Right Hand:
    http://picosong.com/BadF/

I like the distorted stuff right at the end. Everything else is a bit meh... okay in places, could do better in others.
    edited June 2016

I like the bit at the end too, well done.  You are opening up your lower/mid register chest voice though, you can hear it getting more open and less constricted.  I don't know why your speaking voice is so restricted either, it's all psycho sematic you know.

I want to get something down as the landlord down the local is really fit and the fillies will be rolling in soon and next year I probably won't have any hair.  This is the target for me.  I met a bloke down the pub who seemingly has a deeper voice than I do, he can't sing either, but he doesn't really have a deep voice and nor do I, but he smokes himself ragged with that stuff.  I think it's not good, but it adds an edge sort of.

Does not Alice Cooper have a similar voice to you no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCI6hRgqJqU

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've been reading this thread and it's interesting - I'm not much of a singer (although I would like to get better) but I've recently been very interested in what Mikee Goodman from SikTh does with his voice and wondered if anyone here could tell me what's actually going on with it technically.

At various points it doesn't seem like he's too fussed about melody or tonality, so some of it is really jarring and weird, but I'm particularly interested in the big wail from 2:30-2:42 and the bunch of weird shrieks and noises from 3:50-4:05.

And the blood-curdling growls and snarls from 3:20-3:30 here:

More than anything else, I just wonder how you can even come up with the idea of doing that stuff with your voice, in a song. Must require you to completely lose any inhibitions. I think he's less like a singer and more like a voice actor.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."