ACS pro earplugs - Filters

What's Hot
GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
I've got a pair of ACS Pro 17s, but I find that when gigging, I'm moving them out of my ear slightly as I cannot hear enough of the band. I'm considering buying a set of the Pro 10 filters - http://acscustom.com/uk/product/pro10-filter/

Anyone used these? Do they still cut quite a bit? 

Pro 15's is the other option, but my concern with these is that there won't be enough of a difference from the 17's. I'm going to continue to use 17's for band practice. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There is a noticeable difference between 15 and 17s. I wouldn't think 10s would give enough protection for a loudish band.

I use 15s.
  • How much are the filters again? 
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    £50. @not_the_dj did you go from 17s to 15s for this reason then?
  • GazLion said:
    £50. @not_the_dj did you go from 17s to 15s for this reason then?

I bought 15s, but I played with a drummer who had the 17s so we tried out swapping the filters around.
  • I might be tempted to get 15 filters.
  • Or do you think you may as well get a second set for the full £140? 
  • I would buy just the filters direct from ACS. I have the 17s...I have the same problem that when I play with bands I can't always hear everything that's going on. The thing to note with the filters is each one has a specific frequency it reduces. So the 15s, yes they won't cut out as much, but they filter out different frequencies than the 17 so that's why there is such a big difference in perceived volume. 

I took my left plug out during a song last December...I have had Tinnitus ever since. It has really messed my ear up so I would try the 15's but don't go to the 10s (won't be enough protection). 
  • Ouch, sorry to hear that
    Thanks guys, think I'll try the 15s then. In my youth I was a numpty and I went for years not ever using plugs, so I also have a slight bit of tinnitus as a constant reminder 
  • I would say my tinnitus is pretty bad considering it was the expose to loud sound once (10mins). I have always used plugs when playing to protect my ears. I'm early 20's so I will see how it pans out over the next few years although I'm not hopeful it will calm down...you could always try some In ear monitors if the 15s don't help
    Would love to go down the IEM route but it certainly does sound like a lot of extra hassle to set up!
  • Cheers for this thread, also a Pro 17 user. At quieter gigs I sometimes struggle hearing the guitar. Think I'll give the Pro 15s a go, didn't realise you could buy the filters.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I use 25s!
    Then I assume you play bass?!
  • If we struggle to hear the guitar, does that mean you also struggle to hear the rest of the band? 
    Because I thought the frequency response of the 17s was flat. 
    GazLion said:
    Then I assume you play bass?!

No.
    It's difficult to be subjective on this -depends how loud you band is I suppose
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited November 2015
    I'm also on 25s and even then at the end of the night I can tell I've been exposed to constant noise.

Whatever level you use, you get used to it once you start using them every time you play. I level and EQ my amp and pedalboard without them and after they they're in for the night. Fuck tinnitus. I know people how have it from mild to bad and there is no way I'm getting that if I have the chance to avoid it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I'm also on 25s and even then at the end of the night I can tell I've been exposed to constant noise.

Whatever level you use, you get used to it once you start using them every time you play. I level and EQ my amp and pedalboard without them and after they they're in for the night. Fuck tinnitus. I know people how have it from mild to bad and there is no way I'm getting that if I have the chance to avoid it.

The man speaks the truth. Tinnitus is no joke everyone should invest in a pair of quality filters. You get used to the sound being filtered but the detail is still there. Tinnitus is much more difficult to get used to when you wake up every morning.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    My ears are wrecked with tinnitus. I struggle with any plugs in to hear anything that's going on and we're ridiculously loud.

I might try ACS and some 15s but I reckon they'll block out too much.