Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1600
    Gosh. Where do you all put your Louboutin's & posh frock in case you go out to dinner in a nice restaurant?
    I just wear them under the Belstaff, all the time :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    Because the Belstaff costs more than the Designer brands these days (by a long way ! )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Have a look at The Highland Scramble / Biker BnB run out of Edinburgh @guitargeek62 they do some interesting looking routes. 

Easy enough to do on your own at your own pace but there is a convenience and camaraderie element with these group sessions I guess, if you can handle the high potential for Insta hipsters to end up on the same trip
    I mean, I pretty much am one... not remotely at influencer status, but I hung out in Shoreditch and at the Bike Shed a lot when I still lived in London! :mrgreen: 

The Bike Shed ........bit different vibe to the Clubhouse a bit further down Hackney Road !
    I’m friends with a guy in the club there, but have absolutely no desire to partake. 

I also went to school with the son of the local chapter’s President too - he was an ‘interesting’ character. Unsurprisingly, he ended up in jail, and is now dead (the dad, not my buddy).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you're talking about Marcus B who died in 2020 you may have got your facts wrong and better not to discuss Club business on a public forum.
    If you are friends with a member or a legacy I'm sure they would appreciate the discretion.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5675
    Hello moto fretboarders. 

I have a query you might be able to help with. 

I’m now officially double glazed!  While I don’t absolutely need to wear glasses when driving/riding, I find that it helps a lot. 

However, how do you stop glasses from fogging up with every exhale inside the helmet, particularly when moving slowly or not moving at all?

I’m finding that I need to keep the visor slightly more open that normal even at reasonable speeds to keep my glasses from fogging. 

Don’t recall having the same issue with sunglasses so much, which is weird. 

Thanks in advance

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

I find that in cold weather my visor steams up anyway if I'm in v slow traffic or waiting at lights.
    I rode 30 miles today ( Brrr....) and have to lift the visor at lights etc to clear the fogging.
    I think there's sprays you can get etc 
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    For visors, Pinlock inserts for me have been a game changer. For glasses, as @Dominic said get some anti-fog spray, eg Muc-off. Sportsbikeshop.co.uk sell a few different brands. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18919
    I recall having reasonable success with Bob Heath Visors Anti Fog Spray, but ventilation is key.
    Haych said:
    Hello moto fretboarders. 

I have a query you might be able to help with. 

I’m now officially double glazed!  While I don’t absolutely need to wear glasses when driving/riding, I find that it helps a lot. 

However, how do you stop glasses from fogging up with every exhale inside the helmet, particularly when moving slowly or not moving at all?

I’m finding that I need to keep the visor slightly more open that normal even at reasonable speeds to keep my glasses from fogging. 

Thanks in advance
    Might have been a bit warmer when you were wearing sunglasses perhaps ? 

Can't offer much help with the spectacles fogging other than suggesting that conversely it might be better to leave the visor closed tp reduce the ventilation and adopt the 'biker's underbite / mouth exhale' to direct your breath downwards until the heat of your head/breath warms the glasses to the point where your breath doesn't condense on them. Either that or try to prewarm them a little in the house / office before you  pull on the helmet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    AK99 said:
    Haych said:

Might have been a bit warmer when you were wearing sunglasses perhaps ? 
    That did cross my mind too, now that you mention it. They’re also the wrap around type so probably sit closer to my face and hence moist breath doesn’t find its way behind the lens as much. 

Not sure about the anti fog stuff, think I read somewhere they’re not good to use on coated specs? Might have to look into that a bit more to be sure though. 

• I get good anti fog results on the visor with Pinlock. The surfaces need to be clean for best effect. My glasses will mist up if I have the visor shut at slow speeds, so I crack it open in urban areas. At faster speeds it seems to be OK. I also practice the underbite exhale technique (good name for it, too!). 
    ^ Thinking about it, it's probably an overbite..but hey, we know what it is :)
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    I hose down my bike pretty comprehensively after every time I’ve been out.  Is this an okay thing to do?  I’m a bit worried it’s going to affect the electrics and cause an earlier onset of rust then would otherwise be the case.  How often do you clean and oil the chain?  Will my continual hosing rust this too?
  • thebreeze said:
    I hose down my bike pretty comprehensively after every time I’ve been out.  Is this an okay thing to do?  I’m a bit worried it’s going to affect the electrics and cause an earlier onset of rust then would otherwise be the case.  How often do you clean and oil the chain?  Will my continual hosing rust this too?
    Shouldn't be a problem for electrics - bikes are designed to survive being ridden in wet weather, and left outside when it rains too. Don't go too high pressure or into nooks and crannies that wouldn't normally get dirty - like under the seat!

Also, maybe get a drying machine - I've got one which blows warm air through a nozzle so you can limit how long the water sits on metal parts. Once dry you can also use something like ACF-50 sprayed or painted onto metalwork which is supposed to give good protection from the elements.
    I use a microfibre towel and compressed air to dry and blow the water out of places I can't reach.  I've heard good things about the dryers but for the amount of time I actually wash my bike it'd probably get very little use.

You shouldn't have any issues rinsing the bike down after use.  As @roundthebend stated above, I wouldn't use a pressure washer on any of the oily bits too much, you don't want to be blasting the grease out of wheel bearings and what-not.

As for chains, mine doesn't have one but, from when I was last bike shopping I seem to recall that the maintenance routine is recommended to be a clean and lube every 300 - 500 miles.  

I'd hose it down, but as others have said, not a high pressure wash.
    Rinsing off the road muck & salt that's around at this time of year is far better than leaving an aggressive corrosion causing agent on your bike. Get a couple of old towels & wipe off the water afterward & give an occasional chain lube.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    Thanks everyone, that's reassuring.  I just use a conventional pipe with my finger over the end to give it a bit of force.
    Bit of a shame. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-64591498
    Wonder why there's such an insurance issue there & not elsewhere, or is it an outlier?
    edited February 2023
    Absolutely shame - end of an era probably.

They don't really do closed public-roads racing exactly like that anywhere else really. The IOM TT is a time-trial with riders setting out in ones or twos against the clock, whereas Irish road racing is full grids of maybe 20 or more riders. That might contribute.

The other thing that could be a factor (which I remember from being charged extortionate fees for both car and bike insurance when I lived there) was that the payments for contested injury claims in Norn Iron were determined without reference to a standard / recommended scale of payments for such things - and as a result were often very much higher than you would typically see in the rest of the UK.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    Bit of a shame. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-64591498
    Wonder why there's such an insurance issue there & not elsewhere, or is it an outlier?
    I reckon public liability is massive, but at least at a proper track with a ticketed event they get to put "Motorsport is dangerous" in big letters as something of a disclaimer.  

They don't sell tickets to 99% of these things, which is just nuts.  Risk of damage to public property must be big.  They must be making lots of claims, this can't be a shock to anyone involved to be honest.