Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I've got an LS2 .......it's very light and very comfortable
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5652
    On a slightly different topic, a friend of mine suggested I learn to change my own tyres, since mine needed doing.

I looked into how much the tools would cost and it was pretty much exactly the same as what it would have cost me to pay my local MC garage to do it for me.  The logic being that once you have the tools you can keep doing it for yourself and over time never have to pay £60 every time you need your tyres changing.

I watched plenty of YouTube videos on how to go about the process, got everything I would need to change and balance the tyres/wheel and thought I was well prepared.

I'd already bought the tyres a few weeks ago and had a free afternoon on Saturday so went about changing them.

I succeeded but it was bloody hard work and took hours.  The front wasn't too bad, but still had to fight the old tyre off and the new tyre on.  The rear, however, took exponentially longer and was a real struggle.  Since then I feel like I've been in the ring with a pro wrestler - everything hurts and by the time I was coming to the end of the process I was running out of strength to continue wrestling the rubber onto the rim.

Oh, and I don't like excessive use of foul language but my neighbourhood probably heard lots of it on Saturday afternoon.

The moral of the story:

There are some jobs which people accept payment to do for a very good reason.  And if a friend tells you to change your own motorcycle tyres, he is not really your friend, he is a sadist who wants you to suffer!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2557
    Well done for trying! Sounds like a horrible job. I do a lot of my own spanner work, largely because I like saving money and I have paranoia about dealer servicing after a couple of bad situations in the past.
  • I go through a lot of tyres - do a lot of track days.
    I change my own - and the first few times, using just tyre leaves was a complete PITFA.
    However I've got me one of these - makes it a 5 minute job.

Also means I can further benefit from online cheaper tyres (oponeo are my favourite)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I go through a lot of tyres - do a lot of track days.
    I change my own - and the first few times, using just tyre leaves was a complete PITFA.

Also means I can further benefit from online cheaper tyres (oponeo are my favourite)
    That looks like the poodles plums!  Where can I get one should I ever feel the need to try again?

• The UK distributor is someone called Enduro Tyres
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31613
    @Haych a lot of it is technique rather than brute force, like most things. 

I have a proper floor mounted tyre changer and used to do it for a living and the only problems I encounter are my compressor sometimes not being fast enough to pop the tyre out onto the bead, and where to get rid of the old tyres. 

Our local recycling place has been tendered out to a private company and they barely take anything any more, even if you can get past the queues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18827
    Haych said:

That looks like the poodles plums!  Where can I get one should I ever feel the need to try again?
    Seriously, unless you are running a race team or a fleet of bikes, it looks like it'll be cheaper to pay to have them changed for you, like the rest of us mere mortals.
    https://endurotyres.com/product/rabaconda-tyre-changer/

• Haych said:

Seriously, unless you are running a race team or a fleet of bikes, it looks like it'll be cheaper to pay to have them changed for you, like the rest of us mere mortals.

Last year I went through 25rear tyres and 11 front.
    Also factor in the ability to change tyres at my convenience.
    Also also…POWER TOOLS! *

*ok…it isn’t a power tool…but it is a bit schnock-off tool!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 22
    Haych said:

Also also…POWER TOOLS! *

OK, but some some information on your bike, riding frequency & style (including road or frequency of track/racing use?), typical tyre brand etc. etc. might help others in unpacking that information.
    I was more thinking in terms of floating the idea to a few local friends who are keen bikers, all chuck in a few quid and it’s available to any of us who might need it. 

There are possible complications even in that but it’s just an idea and still an impressive piece of kit all the same. 

• manicguitaristmanicguitarist Frets: 375
    edited April 22
    Haych said:

Also also…POWER TOOLS! *

OK, but some some information on your bike, riding frequency & style (including road or frequency of track/racing use?), typical tyre brand etc. etc. might help others in unpacking that information.
    I have 3 bikes.
    A zzr600. This is for if a child of mine wants a ride. Or I need a ride and the weather is cruddy. Did 900 miles last year.
    An RVF400. An awesome little bundle of fun. Used on the tiny tracks. (Darley Moor, Three Sisters).  Did 8 track days last year. Also touring and “playing out”. Covered 4000 miles last year.
    A Ducati Panigale V2. Bigger track days. Did 14 last year. Regular at Oulton and Cadwell. Occasional at Anglesey, Silverstone and Donnington. Once at  Andalucia. Also touring and general “hooning about” . Ahem. I mean making progress. Did 6000 miles last year.
    It is the track days that eats my tyres. Tbh I’d do better getting a van and transporting the bike down and using slicks…but I have nowhere to keep a van.

My zzr uses Dunlop touring tyres.
    My RVF has Bridgestone BT090 tyres…old tech…made of chewing gum but suit the RVF’s size
    My Ducati has Pirelli Rosso 4 (non corsa).

I am lucky in that I work for myself so often put a laptop in a back pack and head into the Lake District to work in the middle of nowhere.

• Haych said:
    I was more thinking in terms of floating the idea to a few local friends who are keen bikers, all chuck in a few quid and it’s available to any of us who might need it. 

There are possible complications even in that but it’s just an idea and still an impressive piece of kit all the same. 
    If you live near me (east lancs) you’re welcome to borrow it
    Haych said:

Also also…POWER TOOLS! *

I have 3 bikes.
    A zzr600. This is for if a child of mine wants a ride. Or I need a ride and the weather is cruddy. Did 900 miles last year.
    An RVF400. An awesome little bundle of fun. Used on the tiny tracks. (Darley Moor, Three Sisters).  Did 8 track days last year. Also touring and “playing out”. Covered 4000 miles last year.
    A Ducati Panigale V2. Bigger track days. Did 14 last year. Regular at Oulton and Cadwell. Occasional at Anglesey, Silverstone and Donnington. Once at  Andalucia. Also touring and general “hooning about” . Ahem. I mean making progress. Did 6000 miles last year.
    It is the track days that eats my tyres. Tbh I’d do better getting a van and transporting the bike down and using slicks…but I have nowhere to keep a van.

My RVF has Bridgestone BT090 tyres…old tech…made of chewing gum but suit the RVF’s size

I am lucky in that I work for myself so often put a laptop in a back pack and head into the Lake District to work in the middle of nowhere.
    Ta, I'd say you might not be 'typical' but so what  ;)
    As you note, the track days are going to be the tyre eater days. Unavoidable  :'(
    Interesting stable, long may you continue to enjoy them :+1: 
  • Haych said:

Also also…POWER TOOLS! *

I have 3 bikes.

Ta, I'd say you might not be 'typical' but so what  ;)
    As you note, the track days are going to be the tyre eater days. Unavoidable  :'(
    Interesting stable, long may you continue to enjoy them :+1: 
    They’re all (even the 55bhp RVF) faster (and much prettier) than I am. But they bring me happiness. 
    When my band imploded, and I got divorced- it was biking that kept me together. Bikers look after each other. 
    Thankfully I won complete custody of my son - which is where the zzr came in. When I was a single parent I needed to get out on the bike - but I wasn’t about to stick him on the back of the RVF or (at the time) an MV Agusta!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ALRALR Frets: 122
    edited April 23
    ^Hello from a fellow Ducatisti. I’d love Panigale V2 in white, I think they look stunning but I don’t think I’d get along with the riding position and it wouldn’t suit the riding I do. I’ve got a Monster 821 for fun riding and a Multistrada 1200S for the more sensible stuff. Get about the Peak District and Cheshire/North Wales on mine.
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    Sold my 899 a couple of months ago, I miss it. Nothing like a big thumping Ducati twin
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4796
    Here's me in 1995 navigating the Karousel on the Nordschleife (Nurburgring) riding my lovely and very much missed 916 Strada. I was on a 3-day Nurburgring Riders Club course. Closed circuit, 100 riders in 10 groups with an instructor each. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/io897acemrl2cc7/NL at Ring - Karousel copy.jpg?st=k01jdt87&raw=1

And I've never changed my own tyres! :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    elstoof said:
    Sold my 899 a couple of months ago, I miss it. Nothing like a big thumping Ducati twin
    Other than a big thumping KTM twin !
    Dominic said:
    elstoof said:
    Other than a big thumping KTM twin !
    Olsen twin?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom