Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Anyone ridden a Street Triple?
    Spec looks great- price too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have.  I am massively obsessed with Speed Triples.  I've ridden a couple of Street Triples and after swearing to myself that I would never buy anything below a 900 I have to say that is I did it would probably be Street Triple..  If it's looks that puts you off a sports bike then the Street Triple is great.  If however it's the riding position the maybe not - I'd at least sit on one first.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I take it you're not interested then. :)
    ddlooping said:
    I take it you're not interested then. :)

Oh sorry, I missed your post. Is this one you have for sale? What year?
  • octatonic said:
    ddlooping said:
    I take it you're not interested then. :)

Oh sorry, I missed your post. Is this one you have for sale? What year?
    Yes, it is one I have for sale. :)

Now to find the paperwork...
    I'm probably more looking for a 500cc+ bike so I can do direct access etc.
    Also was thinking of going through a dealer so I can get a bit of a warranty.

But if it is a bargain and in good condition then I could be tempted.
    edited November 2013
    CBT booked for Thursday. :-)

I can book the rest of the DA in a month or so.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Good luck with it. Most of the on the road stuff is ok if you're already a car driver, mostly common sense really, although it takes a while to adjust to a) how vulnerable you feel on a bike when you're used to four wheels and b) how other motorists can be complete tools round bikers.
    The off road stuff is good fun if you've got a decent instructor. Amazing how slow you can trickle along without falling off .... once you get the knack. >:D<
    Thanks mate- I've ridden bicycles a lot in London so I'm well aware of how vulnerable I can be.
    My main concern is getting the clutch/shift arrangement.
    If you can do fretting and a wah pedal at the same time, clutch and gears will seem like a piece of piss. >:D<
  • You'll be absolutely fine with the CBT. 

I know a bloke who is a tester and the two most common fails on the DA are the U-Turn (which might not surprise anyone) and the other is not cancelling your indicators because people are so use to it being automatic in a car.  Even seasoned riders do it and it can be deadly.  Whenever you're riding along and you have a spare moment of thought just get in the habit of pressing cancel just in case. 

Since the advent of DACs the test is stricter than ever for large bikes whereas a small amount of leniency is allowed on the 125 test.  It's understandable really when you consider I could get on a bike for the first time in my life on Monday and buy myself a R1 on Friday.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    If you can do fretting and a wah pedal at the same time, clutch and gears will seem like a piece of piss. >:D<
    LOL.
  • The only aspect of the CBT I wish they would remove is the bit where they tell kids to pull past me on their scooters at a red light and just sit in front of me revving the shit out of it whilst I'm having a stretch.  This means I spend every red light trying to negotiate my way around some unpredictable bellend in a shellsuit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The only aspect of the CBT I wish they would remove is the bit where they tell kids to pull past me on their scooters at a red light and just sit in front of me revving the shit out of it whilst I'm having a stretch.  This means I spend every red light trying to negotiate my way around some unpredictable bellend in a shellsuit.
    Well, if you're going to live in essex...
    edited November 2013
    randomhandclaps; said:
    Since the advent of DACs the test is stricter than ever for large bikes whereas a small amount of leniency is allowed on the 125 test.  It's understandable really when you consider I could get on a bike for the first time in my life on Monday and buy myself a R1 on Friday.
    It is also kind of stupid that they don't demand some sort of refresher test for born again bikers. I hadn't ridden anything with gears for over 30 years and I got straight onto a Honda 800. Scared myself to death nearly. My last bike had been a Velocette 500 that could just about see a genuine 100 mph going downhill with a hurricane up its chuff. The Honda would do 150 no problem, given the space (and the deathwish) But I didn't need any compulsory retraining and the insurance was stupid cheap because they assume you're old and therefore an experienced rider.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    randomhandclaps; said:
    It is also kind of stupid that they don't demand some sort of refresher test for born again bikers. I hadn't ridden anything with gears for over 30 years and I got straight onto a Honda 800. Scared myself to death nearly. My last bike had been a Velocette 500 that could just about see a genuine 100 mph going downhill with a hurricane up its chuff. The Honda would do 150 no problem, given the space (and the deathwish) But I didn't need any compulsory retraining and the insurance was stupid cheap because they assume you're old and therefore an experienced rider.

I agree with this.  My old man hadn't ridden in a good few years (he had an old Triumph Tiger he kept in the garage which I would take for a run for him).  What he had ridden was mostly vintage bikes.  Around his 60th birthday he decided to buy himself a Thunderbird Sport, which was the same bike I had at the time.  You knew when you went out with him for what should have been a pleasurable ride that he just wasn't enjoying it and had quite a few moments of scaring the shit out of himself.  What was fast back then didn't compare to what a modern bike could do.  The only saving grace was that the modern bike had better brakes too.
  • I don't think I know anyone that chose to do CBT on a geared bike..

anyhoo, gear and clutch is a doddle, I rode a rev and go into the dealer and rode out on the YBR and I hadnt been on a geared bike other than a Vespa for 23 years and even then it was a DT 50 over farmland.
  • octatonic said:

In very good condition overall, a bit of rust on the wheels, and it'd be ~£1000. :)
    ddlooping said:
    octatonic said:

In very good condition overall, a bit of rust on the wheels, and it'd be ~£1000. :)
    Ok mate- let me get through CBT and see how my fat ass does on a 125.
  • octatonic said:
    ddlooping said:
    octatonic said:

Ok mate- let me get through CBT and see how my fat ass does on a 125.
    Okey dokey. :)