Audio interface replacement for digi002

What's Hot

Currently using a very old Digi002, which does the job but feels a bit overkill and large for my quite basic recording needs. I ideally need something that has phantom power for a condenser mic and two inputs for guitar (although not necessarily all at the same time). Also needs to be mac compatible, although I imagine most cover this these days. Budget is under £200, but really want something that will deliver quality sound and last for a good few years.

Any recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you definitely need two DI guitar inputs, then the Komplete Audio 6, Steinberg UR44, and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 would be ones to consider. If you could cope with one DI input then the Audient ID14 comes into play. The SPL Crimson has two DI inputs but is more expensive at £300. 

Aside from the guitar/DI needs, what else do you need from the interface? Do you need it for monitor controller duties? 

If I were buying for myself I would go Audient ID14 (£190 at most places) and then get a dual micro DI interface from Orchid Electronics (£46). 

• domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    I suppose two guitar inputs is probably a luxury, although it might come in useful at some point. I'd need to have a headphone input for monitoring and I currently have the 002 connected to my stereo for rough mixing, so I'd need a similar funcionality. I'll look into those options - thanks for that. 
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    edited November 2015
    A used Apogee Duet would do the job, 2 mic or instrument inputs with phantom power and plenty of gain, headphone output and output that can connect to your stereo too and you can easily switch between phones and speakers or both in the software. I've had mine a couple of years, bought second hand and still going strong.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Roland Quad Capture is another great option well under your budget. The Rolands, Steinbergs and the Komplete Audio 6 are all highly regarded for their rock-solid low-latency drivers; the Focusrite stuff not so much - but the big draw there is the Focusrite studio preamps. So it's a question of what's most important to you. £200 certainly buys a hell of a lot of interface these days whatever you choose.
    Thanks guys, very useful. Presumably these will all work with Reaper on a Mac? Is there any benefit to FireWire v USB? Currently using FireWire, but I know new macs have discontinued FireWire.
  • Go USB. When I upgraded my PCI soundcard to the SPL Crimson, I was worried about latency but all my fears have been squashed into the dirt.  

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I think FireWire is a dying standard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    The Thunderbolt to FireWire adaptor works flawlessly, so don't discount a Firewre bargain
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    If you've got the option of Firewire, I'm selling a Focusrite Saffire 1010 that you could have for £120? Pretty much as new...
    Thanks, but I think that's going to be too big for my needs. Looking to sclae down from the 002 really.
    Anyone had any experience using a thunderbolt interface? Seem to resolve a lot of the latency issues and you'd imagine it would be a bit more future proof than firewire (although you can never tell with Apple).

Quite pricey but something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/resident_audio_t4.htm
  • Get the audient, nice pres and you can add 8 other inputs via adat later on if you want.
    edited December 2015
    That looks good, although I see it only records at 96khz whilst some interfaces record at 196khz. Is this something to consider or is it only relevant if your target audience are dolphins, dogs and bats.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited December 2015
    Sample rates above 48 are subject to much debate online. Though no professional has ever agreed to step forward and do a blind test. 48 is safe for most needs and has no huge file size silliness although 44.1 is handy for demos as you can have other apps running at the same time. Simple answer: are you recording acoustic jazz with world class mics and pres? No? Then dont go above 48

I like the audient because I have an asp008 and I know the pres and conversion are really good and a big step up from a digi002.
    Great, good advice and much appreciated. Looks like that's the one to go for.
  • Recording at 96kHz does make a difference for some sound sources. Strings, piano, orchestra, that kind of things. Whether it's a difference you prefer is entirely subjective. Jon Hopkins won't go above 48kHz as he says it sounds too shiny, whatever that means. 

The Audient will be a big step up whether you go for the ID22 or the ID14. The 14 in terms of spec is meant to be not quite as good as the 22 but the jitter rate is better. You won't go wrong with either interface.  

Being a bit obsessive now, but how would the SPL Crimson compare to the Audient ID14? These two seem to be the best of the bunch from what I can see, so maybe it's a case of either?
  • Size: Crimson is a lot bigger. 

Sound: on KVr and Gearslutz, both are well rated for their conversion. The Crimson is thought of as sounding darker/more analogue, the Audient ID22 a bit brighter. Having used them both, I'd agree with that. It's all down to what you prefer. I went with the Crimson because I liked it better on my system but I've also heard a couple of setups based around the ID22 which rocked. 

Preamps: score-draw here. Crimson and the Audient preamps are both excellent. 

For ages I ran a PCI card, an M-Audio Delta 66. When I upgraded and bought a TC BMC-1 monitor controller, I used the TC for D-A conversion duties and it showed how crap the top end on the Delta 66 was. Using the TC made everything sound better. When I then started my next upgrade and ended up with the SPL Crimson, it was another step up. 

You going from the Digi to the ID14 will be no different. I'd go with the ID14 in your case and save that money for possibl other purchases. What monitors have you got?  

Playing through my Denon stereo at the moment. Probably not the most accurate, but they actually sound great.
    At some point, I'd like to get some Equator D5's, which from the reviews seem like a very good small size monitor.