Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clean head recommendations

What's Hot
Hi guys,

I have a few thoughts on this, but would love the input of you experts haha.
I play country, blues and similar things. Think Chet Atkins, Brad Paisley on the country side and as high-gain as Garry Moore on the blues side. Nothing too modern though.
I'm looking for a head which will do nice cleans, maybe a touch of drive, though I do have some good pedals already, between 25-40 watts or so and ideally with reverb, but I'll compromise on that. A lot of heads in this range seem to be all about the gain channel and just throw the cleans in as an afterthought.
Budget is around the 600-650 mark. i don't mind used. Of course I wanted a Victory V40 Duchess...but its a touch outside of the price bracket for now.
I've got my eye on a used Blackstar Artisan but haven't settled there yet. I welcome your suggestions.

Thanks

Matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Well wait a bit untill one comes up and go for a second hand V40, if it is what you want don't beat around the bush.

The deluxe reverb head option is another choice (second hand possibly) but it is too bulky for me.

Actually, you could also have a look at the MJW amps range see if anything tickles your fancy there.

I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4740
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

Hi Matt I am going to tell you of course that the Artisan is great!

But seriously it will be for others to advise on the sound, What I can promise is that you will be unlikely to find a more reliable amplifier whichever model you choose.

In practice the choice for clean is between the 30 and the 100, although the A15 would be fine micc'ed up.

You might consider the A100 an overkill but you don't HAVE to turn it up and in any case you could pull two 34s (da management don't approve tho! And note you cannot pull bottles in the S 1s or the HT range) .

Dave.

• Wow. I had never heard of these MJW amps. That is definitely worth further consideration.
  • kramereekrameree Frets: 101
    The Artisan 30 and 100 are great...I have both and use them for clean. I do prefer EL34s to also have a Hiwatt SA212 and Marshall plexi reissue...
    Country is changing a bit and a lot of players are going with a slightly overdriven/biting clean...Marshall plexi's do this really well but i like the pure tone of the Artisan and the Hiwatt used with an OD pedal if needed..

This is one of the reasons I love the Hiwatt but the Artisans do this very well

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kramereekrameree Frets: 101
    Check out the hiwatt media page, bottom right photos is a link to Keith Urban using the hiwatts live..can add the link for some reason

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 752
    AMESON KGA150 SOLID STATE GUITAR AMPLIFIER

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Gunna bump this since my search is clearly not at an end yet :D
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Silverface Bandmaster Reverb head would be a good choice, and go for around the £500 mark.

Getting harder to find, but they are out there.

You would need a 4 ohm cab though.
  • jpfamps said:
    Silverface Bandmaster Reverb head would be a good choice, and go for around the £500 mark.

As if by magic.....http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/52975/fs-69-fender-bandmaster-reverb-tfl5005d-silverface#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • what youve described is the Mesa Express 5.25 plus - according to the reviewers one ofthe best clean channels available, but equally good at jazz, country, blues and metal if required...
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2470
    jpfamps said:

That would be my suggestion too, or a Silverface Pro Reverb that was rehoused as a head.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    Vox Night Train 50 Head. The original chrome one has no reverb but a pretty good effects loop whilst the G2 has a digital reverb built in.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    I second the Mesa Express reccomendation, love mine and it does everything you've asked for and more.

Mines the old (i.e. not "plus ") model and it's a 1x10 combo rather than a head but it's everything you could reasonably ask for in a an absurdly portable package. Hellaciously loud too for it's size and power rating.

On the other hand if you're looking for something a little less reasonable the Blackstar Series 1 family are a heck of a lot more versatile than you'd think from the styling, user list, and marketing. The Clean channel (both "warm" and "bright" modes) and crunch/supercrunch channels on my EL34 loaded 104 cover the sort of ground you're describing in considerable style!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • I'm liking the peavey mini head suggestion someone had a while back, but need to see if anywhere in Birmingham carries them, as I've learned my lessonn about playing something before purchase lol.
  • I'm liking the peavey mini head suggestion someone had a while back, but need to see if anywhere in Birmingham carries them, as I've learned my lessonn about playing something before purchase lol.
    They're pretty new, and I've not seem them listed on the PMT or GuitarGuitar websites yet. I'm also keen to give one a try.

Andertons are showing stock and did some demo vids recently, from what I recall they liked it  best using the clean channel with a drive pedal. 
  • indeed I saw  those, and that would be my setup. Just...Andertons is so far away haha.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16010
    vosene or head and shoulders
    tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • afraid I didn't get that lol not sure what was meant there.
    Anwyay...anyone have any love for Hughes and kettner tubemeisters? Not played yet but the clean chanel is getting good reviews.
  • hootsmon;900562" said:
    vosene or head and shoulders
    I like to use an exfoliator and a moisturiser too.