Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clean head recommendations

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2469
    There's a Fender special run 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue head in the classifieds at the moment
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    Go for a used V40 around the £600 mark.  Very happy with mine as a pedal platform.
  • MJW Orion on the bay for silly low money - might have to collect though:)
  • Just bumping this up because I'm in the same "need a clean head" boat.  Is the V40 really that clean?  Seems to have quite a lot of gain from what I can tell.  The power is right for what I need.  Any users got any comments?  Isn't an 18W Plexi crunchy from the word go?

Does @mjw do anything similar to the V40 without all the bells and whistles?  It seems harder than it should be to get an amp that stays relatively clean with gain, volume, tone, loop, 40-50w - errr... that's it!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17704
    tFB Trader
    Puretone ftw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just bumping this up because I'm in the same "need a clean head" boat. 
    Buy this.

(no connection to the seller, but I have one very similar)

R.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3104
    edited February 2016
    You could do a LOT worse than taking a good look at the Groove Tubes STP-G that is for sale in the classifieds.  These were £1500 when they came out and are all about the clean sounds. It's essentially a hot rodded Fender Deluxe. Only about 24 watts but it's bastard loud into a decent 8 ohm cab.  Also has emulated output and is built like a tank. No reverb though.

EDIT: Ah bugger, it sold already.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    edited February 2016 tFB Trader
    jpfamps said:
    Silverface Bandmaster Reverb head would be a good choice, and go for around the £500 mark.

Getting harder to find, but they are out there.

You would need a 4 ohm cab though.
    I'd always been led to believe it's fine to use this with an 8 ohm cab. Something about Fender amps being okay with a one-step mismatch, just slightly less efficient.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 789
    Don't laugh, but try an Engl screamer. They can be cheap second hand. The cleans are great . The crunch quite good & more saturated gain all switchable. Whilst it has a good reverb it sounds even better with a TC hof. The clean stays clean all the way up (50w). I used to have a twin and from memory i like the clean on the engl as much. Very versitile . 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    There Artisan won't let you down
    I have 3 (I'm not sure how..)
  • My Sound CIty MkIV 50+ does really great cleans (bit of hiss though). No reverb. They are generally available on Ebay from £300 and up.
  • I would also check out the new fender Bassbreaker amps too :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/