Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So this is what passes for news these days? Global warming content

What's Hot
ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
Read all the 'The End Is Nigh' stuff but the real comedy is in the 'What you can do to stop it' bit...

Sky News: What Will Happen As The World Gets Warmer?
http://news.sky.com/story/1604441/what-will-happen-as-the-world-gets-warmer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Individuals can task fuck all but what the world needs is to invest in cleaner energy in a MASSIVE scale, so that India and China actually want the clean products. Then it becomes a non-issue. I think Musk has the right idea with everyone having a bunch of solar gear and a battery and feeding into the network whenever they have a surplus.  

As for climate change, just google "Chennai" to see how bad it can get. I was there just before it got really bad but thousands have lost everything they own in flooding.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    And the hype goes on and on an on .. remember Al Gore trying to frighten everyone.  They can tell you what is going to happen in 50 years but cannot tell you if it is going rain tomorrow.   I think that that big ball of fire in the sky has more to do with any warming or cooling that takes place on this planet.   It is time that everyone realised that the Earth is flat, look for the facts, not the headlines.
    Jock
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24440
    It's pointless wasting time trying to 'save the planet'.  That's like asking a pack of hungry dogs not to eat the big pile of steaks in the middle of the room.  Greed is part of human nature and convincing ourselves that we as a species can actually unite to prevent the destruction of our only habitat is laughably naive.  By the time 80% of the land is under water we'll still be having climate conferences, with each nation focussed only on gaining a competitive or financial lead over the others.

Let's just dispense with the masquerade and get on with the voracious consumption until we've made ourselves extinct.  The bees can have a go next, once the earth recovers in a few millenia.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jock68 said:
    And the hype goes on and on an on .. remember Al Gore trying to frighten everyone.  They can tell you what is going to happen in 50 years but cannot tell you if it is going rain tomorrow.   I think that that big ball of fire in the sky has more to do with any warming or cooling that takes place on this planet.   It is time that everyone realised that the Earth is flat, look for the facts, not the headlines.
    To be fair, that's because of the predictability of randomness. You can't tell when a specific radioactive atom will decay, but you *can* predict accurately how many of 1kg of the same atoms will have decayed this time next year. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Oh yes, Al Gore. The drama of part of a glacier crashing into the sea due to global warming.

"No", said the locals, "it's due to spring. It happens every year".

I'll take my information from people who can spell "potato".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Point isn't stopping precisely what's going to happen, because we don't know what's going to happen precisely. But we do know:

1 - things are warmer than they used to be
    2 - we might have caused at least some of it
    3 - we can largely stop whatever impact we ARE having
    4 - pollution is gross
    5 - the world will be fine whatever happens - the current flourishing wildlife in places like Chernobyl is good evidence for that. This is about making it a nicer place for us to live.
    6 - oil is a precious resource for manufacturing and burning it is a ludicrous thing to do if we don't have to.

Annie published an excellent piece the other day. Well worth a read. 

Point is, maybe the scientists are wrong. Why not make the world better anyway, because if they're right, it's going to be really bad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Don't worry about it - the world's leaders have just expended a lot of fossil fuels, fine food and hot air in Paris, and have agreed to set comprehensive targets for having no intention of actually reducing carbon emissions by 2020, which will keep global warming down to about double the amount necessary to stabilise the climate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    and it's a new way to tax us
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Once the human race dies out the world will probably be a nicer place for a good ten billion years. Our little speck of time here will be forgotten and the natural habitat can find its own level again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Emp_Fab said:
    The bees can have a go next, once the earth recovers in a few millenia.
    Won't be bees we've already wiped them out .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    More and more people are realising it's all made up bullshit. they were expecting big protests in Paris at the climate change summit and look what happened? Some 'terrorists' went mad and forced the government to shut the city and the UN had it's talks without interference.

What a stroke of luck!!!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24440
    edited December 2015
    axisus said:
    Once the human race dies out the world will probably be a nicer place for a good ten billion years. Our little speck of time here will be forgotten and the natural habitat can find its own level again.
    Possibly not that nice a place in that timescale.  The sun is calculated to expand to a point that all life on Earth will be extinct in about four billion years, but I get your drift !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Crikey this place is still like a UKIP rally at times.

The science is clear. Man made climate change is real. Fine if you don't want to believe it, but your opinions don't change the real scientific facts.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

The science is clear. Man made climate change is real. Fine if you don't want to believe it, but your opinions don't change the real scientific facts.
    This^
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Ah well if its scientific fact it must be true. Cos scientists never get it wrong or change their views, do they?
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    edited December 2015
    scrumhalf said:
    Oh yes, Al Gore. The drama of part of a glacier crashing into the sea due to global warming.

"No", said the locals, "it's due to spring. It happens every year".

I'll take my information from people who can spell "potato".
    And then you should take your information from people who know the difference between Al Gore and Dan Quayle. 

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited December 2015
    TheCount said:

"The Australian prime minister’schief business adviser"

Hmm.

The argument that climate change is a conspiracy is so bizarre to me, because it relies on the assumption that a vast conspiracy of evil "scientists" are out to hoax everyone, and its only those plucky underdog business owners tied to the multi billion oil industry who know the real truth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The problem is right at the top of the page - Sky News ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!