Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So this is what passes for news these days? Global warming content

What's Hot

Comments

• Chalky said:

Talk to real scientists. 

LOL. Hate to say it but I am a real scientist. UnclePsychosis, MPhys PhD. Thats probably a bit arrogant of me though, right?
    Chalky said:

I know a chap who competes in the world gliding championships. Their flights are many hours long and cover hundreds of miles. Reading the weather is absolutely key to tactics and success. So do they plan their two weeks of competition tactics based on incremental 5 day weather forecasts? No, they don't trust much beyond 24 hours and only really trust sub-12 hour forecasts. As he says, if medical science was like meteorological science you'd never go near a hospital!

All science is not the same.
    Anyone who doesn't understand that climate and weather are not the same thing is lacking the fundamental basics required to debate climate science. And, I hate to tell you, but Medical science is a *lot* like meteorological science. They have a really good idea how drugs and treatments work on a large statistical population (thats the climate bit) but their understanding of how a drug or treatment will affect any given individual on any given day is actually pretty sketchy (the weather bit). This is why Doctors can't make promises to you about the outcome of your treatment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's pointless wasting time trying to 'save the planet'.  That's like asking a pack of hungry dogs not to eat the big pile of steaks in the middle of the room.  Greed is part of human nature and convincing ourselves that we as a species can actually unite to prevent the destruction of our only habitat is laughably naive.  By the time 80% of the land is under water we'll still be having climate conferences, with each nation focussed only on gaining a competitive or financial lead over the others.

Let's just dispense with the masquerade and get on with the voracious consumption until we've made ourselves extinct.  The bees can have a go next, once the earth recovers in a few millenia.
    Just coz you can't control the number of pizzas you eat, doesn't mean the rest of us are just as shit!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited December 2015
    Aw, if you're a scientist you win. I tried arguing with a Catholic priest once but he used the same argument as you - "To understand the Catholic Church you must be schooled in its doctrines". Lovely way of excluding criticism - to criticise us, you must be one of us.

I am not a scientist so my knowledge and views must be invalid compared to yours.

But, I do understand the difference between climate and weather. I was using meteorology as an example of a branch of science in which people have less trust than in other branches of science.
    Chalky said:

Talk to real scientists. Years ago I was in a pub with a Biologist and Physicist.
    Oh, well that's alright then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    Aw, if you're a scientist you win. I tried arguing with a Catholic priest once but he used the same argument as you - "To understand the Catholic Church you must be schooled in its doctrines". Lovely way of excluding criticism - to criticise us, you must be one of us.
    Um... well actually even in that example he's completely right. Basically... if you don't know what you're talking about, then just shut the fuck up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    People are fucking weird.

If 97% of the world's doctors told you if you didn't change your diet you were going to die you'd do something about it pretty damn quick.

97% of the world's climate scientists tell you that if you don't change your ways the whole human race could die and people bury their head in the sand and invent utter bullshit reasons not to believe it.

The amount of people who are proud to display their own scientific illiteracy when it comes to this topic is astounding. I'm actually embarrassed to see it. No one would ever be happy to admit to being unable to read or write, but are seemingly quite happy to shout loudly about their utter ignorance when it comes to science. Most bizarre.
    So will next year be an amazing hot summer full of sun and a mild winter to follow, how many scientists does it take to answer this one ? Less than 97% I would guess.
    Jock
  • Anyone who doesn't understand that climate and weather are not the same thing is lacking the fundamental basics required to debate climate science. And, I hate to tell you, but Medical science is a *lot* like meteorological science. They have a really good idea how drugs and treatments work on a large statistical population (thats the climate bit) but their understanding of how a drug or treatment will affect any given individual on any given day is actually pretty sketchy (the weather bit). This is why Doctors can't make promises to you about the outcome of your treatment.
    It's all very well and good working on a statistical population but when those same drugs are given to an actual person or people and it fucks them up badly then you have to question the value of the statistical population. A company producing a blender that kills 3 out of 100 people that uses it can't reply "Well, 97 people are enjoying smoothies so it can't be all bad" so should we have such flexibility with medication?  (he says thinking mindfully of the trial and error applied to patients prescribed anti-depression or anti-psychosis medication). 

The explanation of climate versus weather is excellent. Ripping that one off for future debate use :)

I do believe in climate change. It is fairly daft to think that we as a species do not have an effect on the planet. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah @Drew_fx telling people to shut up - if only the weather was as predictable as you.

But I did notice your intended mistake! If people had to know what they were talking about before speaking, you'd be a Trappist monk! :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Chalky said:
    Ah @Drew_fx telling people to shut up - if only the weather was as predictable as you.

But I did notice your intended mistake! If people had to know what they were talking about before speaking, you'd be a Trappist monk! :))
    Shut the fuck up you ill educated buffoon.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Jock68 said:

If 97% of the world's doctors told you if you didn't change your diet you were going to die you'd do something about it pretty damn quick.

97% of the world's climate scientists tell you that if you don't change your ways the whole human race could die and people bury their head in the sand and invent utter bullshit reasons not to believe it.

The amount of people who are proud to display their own scientific illiteracy when it comes to this topic is astounding. I'm actually embarrassed to see it. No one would ever be happy to admit to being unable to read or write, but are seemingly quite happy to shout loudly about their utter ignorance when it comes to science. Most bizarre.
    So will next year be an amazing hot summer full of sun and a mild winter to follow, how many scientists does it take to answer this one ? Less than 97% I would guess.
    Climate isn't weather
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited December 2015
    hugbot said:
    Which would you say is likely to be closest to the truth?

1) The planet is not warming

2) The planet is warming, but humans have little or nothing to do with it

3) The planet is warming, humans have something to do with it, but it will probably be fine

4) Its "arrogant" to even speculate or hypothesize one way or another.

@chalky I was asking you to be clear. Its not a trap I'm genuinely confused what it is you actually believe.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27519
    edited December 2015
    Weather.

"I don't like that Strat" 
    "It's warm in London today, according to my thermometer and desire not to wear a coat"

Climate
    "I don't like guitars" 
    "It's getting warmer around the world, on average, over a 100 year period, based on hundreds of different measurements in hundreds of locations" 

Are we there yet?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 998
    b.tw the mouse model is fundamentally flawed , they are nocturnal , we are not .... just saying ...

@hugbot - Of the options you've given to me the nearest is number 3 "The planet is warming, humans have something to do with it, but it will probably be fine". But as I'm not a scientist I'm reluctant to say more.

When 97% of Social Scientists support the replacement of democracy with a benevolent dictatorship then it will be up to Vetinari to sort out global warming anyway...
  • westwest Frets: 998
    cough ... conformation bias ..erm
    To misquote, 97% of economists supported Gordon Brown's transferral of responsibility to the Bank of England committee in order to stop the constant "boom and bust" of the economy! They were right! Now we have steady bust! :))
    Sibelius said:
    Jock68 said:

Climate isn't weather
    Sorry Sibelius, but Climate is all about weather, all definitions mention weather.   As we keep getting told, more storms, more flooding, more hurricanes. 
    Jock
    Sibelius said:
    Jock68 said:

Climate isn't weather
    Sorry Sibelius, but Climate is all about weather, all definitions mention weather.   As we keep getting told, more storms, more flooding, more hurricanes. 
    Jock
    Sibelius said:
    Jock68 said:

Climate isn't weather
    Sorry Sibelius, Climate is all about Weather, if you look up any definition it mentions weather.  That is why we are being told that more storms, more hurricanes more flooding will happen... When they do not know, where they do not know, but they do know it is going to happen.   This is beginning to be like the BBC, they do not allow anyone on air who denies Climate change exists, this keeps the lie alive.
    Jock
    This is why musicians shouldn't get involved in politics.

Fuck... most of you aren't even musically literate, let alone scientifically so!