Guitar sonic vintagising - ToneRite, etc

What's Hot

Comments

• Thanks for letting us know. I think I'll order one after Xmas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    brucegill said:
    Thanks for letting us know. I think I'll order one after Xmas.
    be aware a lot of people are asking £300 or so for used ones even

the place I bought mine had several new ones for £116, delivered
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used one in the past.l was a bit wary about trying on a Martin so I tried it on my archtop with bad results.It seemed to bring trebles way above the rest of the strings.Really tinny sort of sound.However I've heard it has better results with new acoustics.Hopes this helps (good luck),you sound a braver man than me :))
    Just used it on a new spruce top - major improvement within hours

I've used it on quite a few guitars, it does improve them (obviously only up to a point)
    I'm thinking of putting it on a resonator, they take years to burn in normally as well
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Tens of thousands of hours of play time alter the molecular structure of the wood fibers, aging the instrument and creating a richer, sweeter, and louder tone.
    The ToneRite accelerates this same play-in process by using a set of sub-sonic frequencies to simulate long term play.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So......... 2022 now .. anybody using these?
  • From a personal point of view I am one of those people who believes getting better at something comes from doing that thing more. You'll get better at your chosen activity by doing that activity and I'm sure playing your guitar more will simply do the same job. But in this age of excess surely the problem here is that we simply own too many guitars and this device is a first world answer to a third world problem? I am not saying I dont think it works,it probably does,but just playing would be as effective and more fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I read that they are really useful and have the biggest "impact"  where you might have a guitar/guitars that dont get played for "long ish"  periods and it helps keep the soundboard opened up
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Hmm...ok, my Dove is subjected to music (radio mostly) when it's not being played  at home or gigged.

Now, what will a ToneRite achieve that this won't? Not saying nothing but what?

:) 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Mellish said:
    Hmm...ok, my Dove is subjected to music (radio mostly) when it's not being played  at home or gigged.

Now, what will a ToneRite achieve that this won't? Not saying nothing but what?

:) 
    Depends what station you're tuned to. Speech radio and you'll find your guitar start to talk to you but if it's music radio it will sing to you! :)

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Drofluf ; gotcha! :+1:

;)
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    I used to be on a mandolin forum (before I realised I’d never play the mandolin as badly as I play guitar…) and folks got very heated on the topic. Tonerite is “manna for heaven” vs. “It’s snake oil”. Was fun to watch but made the Gibson is better than Fender (or vice-versa) wars look like a 3a.m. Drunken handbag fight. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Anyone in the south want to lend / rent me one for a few weeks please ?
  • Another one to look out for, if inclined, is the Tone Traveler 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    From a sceptic who decided to try a ToneRite after hearing that Ramirez use them on their new classicals - it works, and it works very well indeed.

They aren't particularly expensive - I got mine from Caswell Strings https://caswells-strings.co.uk/product/guitar-tonerite/  £136
  • Is there a sweet spot after which it starts getting worse again, or does it just stop getting better at it's best? 

Or just keep getting better.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Is there a sweet spot after which it starts getting worse again, or does it just stop getting better at it's best? 

I've only ever used it with the recommended 72-hour treatment on new guitars to speed up the opening up process. Like any new guitar that has been played in naturally, I think the latter is more likely.

I've never tried shorter "refresher" treatments as others have.
    So......... 2022 now .. anybody using these?
    I still use it on acoustics, some definitely need it, and change rapidly
    GTC said:
    Is there a sweet spot after which it starts getting worse again, or does it just stop getting better at it's best? 

I've only ever used it with the recommended 72-hour treatment on new guitars to speed up the opening up process. Like any new guitar that has been played in naturally, I think the latter is more likely.

I've never tried shorter "refresher" treatments as others have.
    I have an Adirondack dread that needs refreshing before I can play fingerstyle on it
  • Do these make bad playing sound good? Thought not. That's me out then.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom